Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Built like a Badass

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

boomtown84 wrote: »
    Also started this today to mix things up a bit...might even start a log.
    complex is tough..started with 35kg so looking to increase this big time.

i think you are ment to stay with the same weight for the three weeks that its that complex and worry about the extra sets and the less recovery time in betweeen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Im coming from a very sedentary background not having lifted anything so much as my arse off the chair since Last November.

The complex I just used the bar for the whole thing. Deads and squats and bent rows were plain simple but the cleans and press killed me. Kinda wondering the effectiveness of the rest if the weight isnt even slightly challenging....

DOMS certainly kicked in so something must be working anyway!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

dario28 wrote: »
    Without going too off topic what would you suggest the optimium method is, I'm looking to cut some fat , and put on a kilo or two while improving my 1rm ( as a baseline weight)....suppose they all go hand in hand really

Well, no, they actually go almost completely against each other. Forget fat/1rm/terminology. Break your sentence down into it's components. You're looking to lose weight, increase strength and gain weight. I don't think I need to point out what's wrong with that last sentence.*

I know that's a bit of a facetious answer, but there you have it. What is your priority?

*That's correct! I didn't use an Oxford comma!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭blah88

That's what I don't get about programs that put the metabolic work after the weights session. Isn't that sorta contradictory? I used this program ages ago and IIRC it looked like a program for bulking up, which would require a caloric surplus, but then it has some calorie burning complexes or running after the weights session, which would just be burning calories. Is this just to make the person more fit, rather than actually burn fat?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Metabolic work, as you put it isn't just about losing fat. Just as Cardio isn't just about losing fat.

If you are doing metabolic or cardiovascular work you can still have a calorie surplus, just you will need to eat more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Tigger wrote: »
    i think you are ment to stay with the same weight for the three weeks that its that complex and worry about the extra sets and the less recovery time in betweeen

This.
    The limiting factor is prob going to be the push press for most or cleans if you are new to them.
    I read the program last night and tried the barbell complex with 50kg this morning. It's tough but at least it's over fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,244 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Finding this very fun, good DOMS after it and its quick to do in the gym, never more than an hour, highly recommended.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Gintonious wrote: »
    Finding this very fun, good DOMS after it and its quick to do in the gym, never more than an hour, highly recommended.

...may want to wait and see what the results are like before recommending it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Tempted to give it a go. A 12 week program would take me right up to Christmas more or less.

I'll start next week and maybe keep a diary, would be interesting anyway as something different.

I'm confused about this program. I have outrageous doms from Monday's session, day 1. Was in today for day 2 today and found it quite short and easy. Well except for the 1 mile run. Is it meant to be like this? The squat jumps with the dumbbells felt like it didn't go on for long enough. Dead lifts maybe I could have lifted more but again only 3 sets. I dunno maybe because I'm just used to more conventional methods

• Advertisement

thehamo wrote: »
    I'm confused about this program. I have outrageous doms from Monday's session, day 1. Was in today for day 2 today and found it quite short and easy. Well except for the 1 mile run. Is it meant to be like this? The squat jumps with the dumbbells felt like it didn't go on for long enough. Dead lifts maybe I could have lifted more but again only 3 sets. I dunno maybe because I'm just used to more conventional methods

max effort on day 1 (and the pull ups on 3 look hard) easy day on 2

thats why i'm doing the deads and the squats instead of deads or squats

i'm also cycling 5 miles instead of running ( i hate running)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

thehamo wrote: »

Did day 2 also today , 10lbs was way too light for jump squats and had to add a lot of extra reps in

It was over pretty quick so just added in some other things

I supposed if ya are used to training fairly hard ya will need to add in extra to make most of a session

Tigger wrote: »
    max effort on day 1 (and the pull ups on 3 look hard) easy day on 2

thats why i'm doing the deads and the squats instead of deads or squats

i'm also cycling 5 miles instead of running ( i hate running)[/QUOTE

Yeah I did leg press at the end too. Still a bit afraid of doing squats as im only coming back from a bad back injury. I did an 800 m run and straight on to a spin bike for 10 min at ful tilt. Should do i'd reckon.

I used 10kg dumbelss for the jump squats. deffo need to add weight to my dead lift.

DREADING the pull ups on day 3. I cant even knock out 1 even if im blue in the face tryin

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dario28 wrote: »
    Did day 2 also today , 10lbs was way too light for jump squats and had to add a lot of extra reps in

It was over pretty quick so just added in some other things

I supposed if ya are used to training fairly hard ya will need to add in extra to make most of a session
    1. Why was 10lbs too light? Bare in mind, What's the purpose of the excercise?
    2. What's making the most of a session?
    3. It's not a beginners program. It's designed for experienced lifters looking to get back into shape. Everyone should be used to training hard. DeFranco certainly is aware how light two 10lb dumbells are.

Got up An hour early this morning and did a 5 mile sprint cycle on my off day just cos

It seems to be getting my body wanting to move ( rather just wanting to lift heavy)

Hanley wrote: »
    ...may want to wait and see what the results are like before recommending it :D

Ah now, its quite the challenge, thats why I would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ah now, its quite the challenge, thats why I would recommend it.
    A challenge doesn't mean its good for building muscle (i'm not saying it isn't btw). But that's the aim, so a challenge alone isn't a reason to recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭hsbc

Mellor wrote: »
    A challenge doesn't mean its good for building muscle (i'm not saying it isn't btw). But that's the aim, so a challenge alone isn't a reason to recommend it.

Bro don't get pedantic on us.

It's a good programme and you'll see results.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

still waiting for the day when i can read one of your posts without falling asleep halfway through!

The program is called "Built like a badass", and is written by a pretty reputable coach, so I think its safe to assume that you would build some sort of muscle doing it.

• Advertisement

The program is called "Built like a badass", and is written by a pretty reputable coach, so I think its safe to assume that you would build some sort of muscle doing it.

You know what ASSUME does right?

It makes an ASS, out of U and other PEOPLE.

I may have got that a bit wrong it's been a while since I heard that saying.

You know what ASSUME does right?

I may have got that a bit wrong it's been a while since I heard that saying.

Thats very clever. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Assupeople?

mloc wrote: »

Assupeople?
    That actually makes sense. I can use it in a sentence look: How many times have I assupeople not to follow things blindly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Barry stop beating around the bush - you want to be built like a badass, don't you?

That actually makes sense. I can use it in a sentence look: How many times have I assupeople not to follow things blindly?

Will be using that sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

]
    [*]Why was 10lbs too light? Cause it just felt like I was jumping needed 12.5's to make it feel like I was using an effort

Bare in mind, What's the purpose of the excercise? Get stronger legs I suppose

[*]What's making the most of a session? Im my mind being wrecked leaving the gym , depending on what muscle group you are working ya couldnt lift much more, fatigued is the posh word i suppose

[*]It's not a beginners program. It's designed for experienced lifters looking to get back into shape. Everyone should be used to training hard. DeFranco certainly is aware how light two 10lb dumbells are.

Im already in good shape, not sure what you are getting at in last statement ??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

boomtown84 wrote: »
    still waiting for the day when i can read one of your posts without falling asleep halfway through!

Less of that, it's silly. Mellor don't respond.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

"Built like a Badass" is a stupid name for a program. I have no idea whether it's any good or not.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

discus wrote: »
    Barry stop beating around the bush - you want to be built like a badass, don't you?

I already am a Terrible Donkey.

Advertisement