Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need help with harmonics

Options
  • 22-12-2004 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

hi all, i need alot of help with harmonics. MOstly on bass but if someone can tell me how to do them on guiatr then im sure i coujld adapt it to bass. i know how to do natural harmonics but i cant find any good guide on how to do artifical ones can someone give afew tips. im trying to get to the point where i can do the end of Anesthesia by Metallica

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Well harmonics work like this. The right side of your fret hand vibrates and is really audible, the left side not so much. If you happen to place your hand where each side of the string vibrate equally, or to a ratio, you will get the harmonic chime. So what you want to do is place your finger lightly over the very centre of the harmonic you want. So at the 12th fret, where both sides of the string vibrate equally, you would want to place your finger dead centre over the 12th fret, the actual fret itself, not the wood. Only a light touch is required. This works at other frets aswell. Typical ones to try would be the 5th, 7th, 12th, 15th, 17th and 24th, although harmonics can occur at any place, but they would be very faint.

The trick to doing a good harmonic is less is more. Only the tiniest of touchs is needed to get a harmonic, and sometimes, depending on the guitars intonation setup, it might be just above the 12th fret, or below. If you spend time practicing you will find the optimal place to sound the harmonic.

YOU DO NOT HOLD THE STRING DOWN, ONLY TOUCH IT.

Artifical harmonics work in a similar way except its your picking hand that causes the harmonised note. Basically, you hit the note, and you touch the string higher up towards the bridge to sound the harmonic. For pinch harmonics, you strike the note, and follow through with your thumb or index finger (if you are picking up) to slightly touch the string after it has been struck. Certain areas on the guitar produce better harmonics, say on a strat, you'd want to be picking the note near the neck pickup. These are generally harder, and although when you see guitar players using pinches they usually look like they are punching the guitar, that is usually for the initial strike. The touch to cause the harmonic is usually very slight.

Hand positions are what matters.

Also for pinchs, it helps to use high, trebley gain. (Although it'll probably sound terrible)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

they can be hard depending on the gear,, but they are what they're called.. you *pinch* the string.. i don't know how others do it, but i usually do it with the thumb.. i don't really change the position of the pick or my thumb.. i just move my hand to a certain angle.. that's all i can really say.. i don't know if it's right cos i've never been taught but it works for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

right so to do harmmonics that are like 5 7 and 12 notes up i would have to put my hand at different places with my right hand?

Just for clarity. For normal harmonics, it just requires you to place your finger over the fret and touch it, and then pick.

For pinch harmonics, you actually hold the note, and force the harmonic with your right hand.

aaaaaaaaaah that was my problem thanks a shi*te load

• Advertisement

but how do i make the harmonic note with out sounding the original note?

For pinches, you are actually striking the note, and causing the harmonic in one downstroke, with your thumb following through to cause the harmonic.

then how do i do it so that only the harmonic sounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

The motion that giblet described is so quick you never hear the note without the articfical harmonic. If you were watching someone doing pinches it just looks like their picking the note normally.

hanks all i know how to do it now, i even got it on bass ven tho my friend told me it was impossible to do it on my **** one but i proved him wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

steoob wrote:
    hi all, i need alot of help with harmonics. MOstly on bass but if someone can tell me how to do them on guiatr then im sure i coujld adapt it to bass. i know how to do natural harmonics but i cant find any good guide on how to do artifical ones can someone give afew tips. im trying to get to the point where i can do the end of Anesthesia by Metallica

Example :

Fret a note for example 5th fret G string then go an octave up and put your finger down over the fret (like you would when doing natural harmonics on the 5th 7th and 12th fret) while doing this pick the string with another finger or pick on the bridge end of the instrument.

Fusion

Advertisement