Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1973 fender strat price

• 11-04-2014 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

I've a pristine 1973 Fender Usa Stratocaster with all original parts

Just wondering what sort of value is on something like this as im aware it would be rare to find a 41 year old fender in this condition

Just an estimate cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It would be rare enough, but 73 puts it right in the middle of CBS's tomfoolery. Quality had dropped remarkably since 66 at that stage.

Rare enough in Ireland, but not generally. I'd gather as much info, serial no etc, and take some detailed pics. Others might be able to advise you better with more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

endacl wrote: »
    It would be rare enough, but 73 puts it right in the middle of CBS's tomfoolery. Quality had dropped remarkably since 66 at that stage.

Rare enough in Ireland, but not generally. I'd gather as much info, serial no etc, and take some detailed pics. Others might be able to advise you better with more info.

Not looking to sell it , just wondering what it may be worth , going to give it to my son when he is older , my dad used it , ive used it , its not a standard model , its a deluxe

Just you hear if gibson les paul's 59's and 60's going for like qtr a million , is there ever gonna happen with fender , i mean in 9 years it will be 50 years old , original with original parts

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

eBay would suggest anything from $2500-4000. They're just not that rare. The value of a 58-60 les Paul has a lot to do with the fact that there are limited supplies of a limited guitar that was discontinued till 1968, and the varience in prices is due to the fact that no two are quite alike. Fender (CBS) we're churning strats out in the mid 70's, and really let QC slip. For the same money, you'd get a brand spanking new custom shop instrument.

Yours has a nice family heritage. I'd say that's where the value will lie for your son. Who gets to say 'this is the guitar my grandad used to play'? You really couldn't put a value on that. I doubt he'll ever sell it to buy a house, but who knows? In the mid 60's, you couldn't have given a 58-60 les Paul away. It was a failure, until the music it was created to play appeared with Clapton etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Here's a '74 strat for 5k (USD)

http://www.garysguitars.com/catalog/1974-fender-stratocaster-fee0733

Any Les Paul that went for 250K must have had something special about it (played by someone famous, etc). Here's a '52 (first year of production) for just under 21K:

http://www.garysguitars.com/catalog/1952-gibson-les-paul-gold-top-gie0435

Both have the original hard shell case, which adds to the value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Jimi's Music Store has a '74 for 3K - http://www.jimismusicstore.ie/product_info.php?cPath=22_29&products_id=244
    It's natural which may be worth a bit more than a solid finished guitar (depending on the colour).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

endacl wrote: »
    eBay would suggest anything from $2500-4000. They're just not that rare. The value of a 58-60 les Paul has a lot to do with the fact that there are limited supplies of a limited guitar that was discontinued till 1968, and the varience in prices is due to the fact that no two are quite alike. Fender (CBS) we're churning strats out in the mid 70's, and really let QC slip. For the same money, you'd get a brand spanking new custom shop instrument.

Yours has a nice family heritage. I'd say that's where the value will lie for your son. Who gets to say 'this is the guitar my grandad used to play'? You really couldn't put a value on that. I doubt he'll ever sell it to buy a house, but who knows? In the mid 60's, you couldn't have given a 58-60 les Paul away. It was a failure, until the music it was created to play appeared with Clapton etc.

He may never use it , he's only 3 but hoping at some point he might and if not might be worth a few quid for him or he might pass it down

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement