Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bigger Girls: Are They More Popular than We Think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Pug160 wrote: »
    I remember a video on YouTube where a very average looking girl showed the effects of make up. She went from being average at best to looking very attractive. I think it might still be there. It depends on the individual though, as in some cases it can make decent looking girls trashy looking or just really fake. It generally makes girls look older than they are too.

Pug are you thinking of Jenna Marbles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

Thwip! wrote: »
    Pug are you thinking of Jenna Marbles?

That's the one, yeah.

What you sometimes get are average looking girls making themselves look attractive and then only going for the good looking guys in bars and clubs, when in actual fact they're just on the same level as the average guys (just not when they have make up on). It's a bit of a con when you think about it. Not much they can do when morning arrives though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

That's the one, yeah.

What you sometimes get are average looking girls making themselves look attractive and then only going for the good looking guys in bars and clubs, when in actual fact they're just on the same level as the average guys (just not when they have make up on). It's a bit of a con when you think about it. Not much they can do when morning arrives though.

Maybe my opinion is a bit invalid because I'm female, but she doesn't look more attractive with that much make up. She looks like an average girl plastered in way too much make up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

That's the one, yeah.

Pug you haven't seen "Bridesmaids"? :D

Ah no, I won't spoil it for you but it answers the bolded bit... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

That's the one, yeah.

She looks MUCH better without all that make up imo. Would you not call that excessive? I certainly would.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

That's the one, yeah.

I have friends who wait until they are convinced the boyfriend loves them for them before they show their 'face' to him. Basically, in the early stages of the relationship, they wear makeup to bed. Crazy but true.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

6'3 and 11 stone isn't lean, it's essentially underweight and malnourished.

Er, no it isnt. :confused:

A 6'3" man being 11 stone is probably the definition of lean.

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    I have friends who wait until they are convinced the boyfriend loves them for them before they show their 'face' to him. Basically, in the early stages of the relationship, they wear makeup to bed. Crazy but true.

I know a few women who do this. The only women I know who DON'T do this are myself and my younger sister. Wearing make up to bed ages your skin by 7 days for every night you do it. I'm not wrecking my skin, and clogging up my pores while I sleep.

Plus, I look pretty much the same with or without make up (although my eyes probably look more interesting with make up on), because I don't need to use a lot of it (I'm blessed with great skin and big eyes), but I would rather a bloke sees what I look like with no make up, hate it and decide to do a runner on week one rather than 6 months down the line, when it'd hurt. :)

Anyone who feels the need to wear make up to bed with a guy needs to work on their insecurities tbh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jenna Marbles? She's clearly a good looking/damned attractive woman, inteligent, plugged into the memeology and with a sense of humour?

Personally speaking and if I was *ahem* ten(make that 20 years) younger, I sooo would, minus the slap(and I'd love to see her as a brunette). Indeed I'd be so bet into her, that if anyone could remove me from her they could crown me King Arthur, king of the Britons.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Pug you haven't seen "Bridesmaids"? :D

Ah no, I won't spoil it for you but it answers the bolded bit... ;)
    She looks MUCH better without all that make up imo. Would you not call that excessive? I certainly would.

Fair enough, it's subjective. But she looks quite plain at first (although certainly not ugly). In the second picture she would definitely get a lot more attention from guys in bars and clubs.

It's the same thing with Jordan - very plain without make up but looks much different when she's done up. It's obvious when a girl is not a natural beauty but my point remains. They can manufacture their looks. Sure, they might not be girls you'd bring home to meet your parents but they're not worried about that.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Wibbs wrote: »
    Jenna Marbles? She's clearly a good looking/damned attractive woman, inteligent, plugged into the memeology and with a sense of humour?

Personally speaking and if I was *ahem* ten(make that 20 years) younger, I sooo would, minus the slap(and I'd love to see her as a brunette). Indeed I'd be so bet into her, that if anyone could remove me from her they could crown me King Arthur, king of the Britons.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Of all the options you had, you picked Jenna Marbles?

Get away out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Maybe my opinion is a bit invalid because I'm female, but she doesn't look more attractive with that much make up. She looks like an average girl plastered in way too much make up.

Jesus I got about five seconds into it just now out of curiosity, couldn't hack the voice, that was enough, I couldn't wait around for the end result, but she's deffo by no means starting off as an ugly girl! It's a bit like the "ugly betty" nonsense- make her look dorky first and then do her up... ahh- "Ten things I hate about you", that's the film I was thinking of-

Wibbs wrote: »

:pac::pac: You got so taken with her Wibbs that you forgot to how to spell.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Jesus I got about five seconds into it just now out of curiosity, couldn't hack the voice, that was enough, I couldn't wait around for the end result, but she's deffo by no means starting off as an ugly girl! It's a bit like the "ugly betty" nonsense- make her look dorky first and then do her up... ahh- "Ten things I hate about you", that's the film I was thinking of-

I'm sorry, I stopped paying attention when I saw Heath Ledger's face in the preview. You were saying?

*drools*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Fair enough, it's subjective. But she looks quite plain at first (although certainly not ugly). In the second picture she would definitely get a lot more attention from guys in bars and clubs.

It's the same thing with Jordan - very plain without make up but looks much different when she's done up. It's obvious when a girl is not a natural beauty but my point remains. They can manufacture their looks. Sure, they might not be girls you'd bring home to meet your parents but they're not worried about that.

I think Jordan was gorgeous without make up up till a few years ago. You are right though. Men talk about how much they don't like excessive amounts of make up but I see everyday of the week that they're the ones who'd attract the most attention on public transport.
    Plus, I look pretty much the same with or without make up (although my eyes probably look more interesting with make up on), because I don't need to use a lot of it (I'm blessed with great skin and big eyes), but I would rather a bloke sees what I look like with no make up, hate it and decide to do a runner on week one rather than 6 months down the line, when it'd hurt. smile.png

I'd agree with you. I generally only wear a bit of mascara day to day as I'm blonde and have blonde eyelashes and I look better with it. I think the only time my boyfriend has seen me WITH a load of make up on was last Halloween as part of my costume although I'd wear more at weekends in the past few years (lipstick, thin layer of foundation). I like the idea that he fancies me for how I am naturally. If he never saw me without make up, I wouldn't be convinced he fancied me for me. I've always thought like that. The idea of never letting your boyfriend see you without make up is truly bonkers to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Not really getting the thread title, I think they are as popular as we think, I don't think it's very popular to like skinny girls at all, that's the feeling I get from reading here and elsewhere and from real life. Personally I prefer skinny girls........flat stomach, collar bones, hip-thigh gap and even better the hip-stomach gap like this best seen lying down.......http://i.imgur.com/iX31BO4.jpg and the hollow stripe down centre of stomach etc etc. But it's definitely not unpopular to like a bigger girl imo, an average girl wants to lose a bit of weight to be more toned/healthier and they're met with....what, you're fading away, ye don't need to do that and a lot worse abuse, while bigger girls are encouraged to feel good in their own skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I'd much rather be your definition of "plain" than look like Jordan any day of the week, thanks.

It's pretty damn easy to get attention in bars and clubs if that's your life goal, just pile on the slap, wear a barely there dress and some skyscraper heels and bob's your uncle. Do you think that's something women should aspire to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

i think some aspire to that beks. Their motives might be questionable

But i aint judging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

The idea of never letting your boyfriend see you without make up is truly bonkers to me.[/QUOTE]

I knew a girl who would put fresh make up on going to bed with her boyfriend so that "when they woke up she would still look good" :eek:

Same girl would not burp, fart, use the bathroom or shower in front of him.

Smidge wrote: »
    The idea of never letting your boyfriend see you without make up is truly bonkers to me.

I knew a girl who would put fresh make up on going to bed with her boyfriend so that "when they woke up she would still look good" :eek:

Same girl would not burp, fart, use the bathroom or shower in front of him.[/QUOTE]

madness, it is what it is and all part of life.

I know a girl that wears makeup going swimming.

• Advertisement

[/B][/B]

Same girl would not burp, fart, use the bathroom or shower in front of him.

madness, it is what it is and all part of life.

I know a girl that wears makeup going swimming.[/QUOTE]

I just find that very odd.

I'm not talking about an open door dump(that is ALWAYS unacceptable in every relationship by either party)

But burping?????????

Hate to break it to ya, but everyyone does it ;)

I'm not talking about an open door dump(that is ALWAYS unacceptable in every relationship by either party)

jaysus that gave me shivers:D

jaysus that gave me shivers:D

Always a deal breaker by either party.
    There are some sights, sounds and smells that should always be private :D;)

Always a deal breaker by either party.
    There are some sights, sounds and smells that should always be private :D;)

totally agree. my nose feels funny right now

Conclusion

Some guys like bigger girls, some girls like bigger girls;
    Some people are secure in their choice of partner and others are not;
    Some guys like slimmer girls, I haven't heard a girl on this thread echo the sentiment yet;
    Some even like them really thin and others, really fat;
    Size is relative but everybody knows what obese and anorexic look like. It's the middle that gets over 300 responses to a thread;
    Women's sizes confuse most men;
    Marilyn Monroe was NOT fat, this should be stickied on the AH thread list;
    A gap is a thing. If you don't have one, wear a triangular shaped wedge to bed every night;
    Hip to waist ratios are probably more important than body size up to a certain point but not for Wibbs;
    Oh and if you have a 'relationship' with food, you're also not for Wibbs.

The end. I should probably go to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I have attached headless shots. He is one of the healthiest people I know. He eats mostly unprocessed food and a lot of it in addition to having a very active lifestyle. I think he is one of those people with an incredibly fast metabolism. Underweight? Yes but he certainly doesn't look it. Malnourished, I don't think so.

The second link is re: the different sizes and body types. In this photo I am both fat and skinny. You can't see my face but I look like death and under my top, my ribs are visible while my bottom half is still fat. People asked me if I was ill all the time and yet if you were looking at only my lower half, there was no way I could possibly be starving. But I was. I was running a lot and surviving on two weetabix a day in hot water with a banana and the occasional omelette just so I could get down to an 'ideal weight'.

People carry weight so differently and my ex and I are just two examples. He doesn't look underweight but BMI says he is just like I am both overweight and not at the same time.

you are what they call pear shaped, bigger hips with narrower shoulders. which is super attractive to me in general btw it also means you lay down your fat on your hips and not on your stomach which is waaaay healthier too. in essence youre approaching perfection! :pac:

good summary

but im sure going to bed will bring up other questions on it

IM0 wrote: »
    you are what they call pear shaped, bigger hips with narrower shoulders. which is super attractive to me in general btw it also means you lay down your fat on your hips and not on your stomach which is waaaay healthier too. in essence youre approaching perfection! :pac:

Haha. Past Itwasntme. says thanks. Current Itwasntme. is just overweight. On the upside, she doesn't look like a starving ethanopian in the face any more*.

*This is what I tell myself to feel better :).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭Norfolk Enchants

Haha. Past Itwasntme. says thanks. Current Itwasntme. is just overweight. On the upside, she doesn't look like a starving ethanopian in the face any more*.

*This is what I tell myself to feel better :).

Different cultures have differing views on the perfect woman. In western culture, our models tend to be extremely thin. Which can be sexy, depending on how the lady in question carries it.

But in reality, I think most western men go for a cute or pretty face. If shes curvy, skinny, or a lil overweight - we wont care. All about the face.

Oh and the triangular gap thing. Thats real. Growing up in Dublin in the late 90s/early 00s I regularly heard my peers claim 'check the hole in the wall over there'. What says I? They nod over and claim that 'shes gapped to the moon'.

It meant that she had a nice body and a nice but healthy, big oul ass. :)

An attractive body.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

leewarden wrote: »
    Never heard of christina hendricks. I googled her and apart from the boobs which makes her look big, the rest of her is far from being a big girl

"Big" is a relative term, which is why I didn't use it. She's not big compared to someone like, say, Beth Ditto, clearly. But I do think she's overweight. As I said, she always wears industrial-strength underwear which pulls her in at the middle so her waist looks tiny (and anyone will tell you that having an hourglass figure generally tends to mean you can get away with carrying more weight than other body shapes and not look it because of the proportions), but looking at her upper arms, hips and calves (particularly in this photo http://redcfa.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Christina-Hendricks-In-LWren-Scott-41st-Annual-Peace-Over-Violence-Humanitarian-Awards.jpg), she looks like she's carrying extra weight to me.

Actually, I just found a picture of her without the Spanx & beautifully cut dresses, and to me, there's no denying that she's overweight - http://i.imgur.com/6S1cm.jpg

Whether or not you find her attractive or not is completely down to personal preference. I had simply used her as an examply of how curvy seems to be increasingly conflated with overweight. Imo, yes, she's curvy, there's no denying that, but she's also overweight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement