Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone locally that installs Saorview boxes?

• 27-02-2012 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hey people!

My mother is trying to cut back on her bills at home and recently bought a Saorview box to replace her sky digit.

So she has a box at home, and when she purchased it, she was told she could use it with the dish that she has on her roof already.

I'm not going to be around Galway for a while and my brother couldn't get his head around it so I was just wondering if anyone actually installs these professionally?

Post details, PM me contact info where possible. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Has she an aerial already that she gets TG4 and TV3 on? The cable from this needs to go into Saorview box....not the dish cable. This will get her RTE1,2, TV3, TG4, 3e etc. If she wants the free Sat channels BBC/ITV etc she can re-use her old SKY box for these or purchase a Freesat box if SKY box not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

leex wrote: »
    Has she an aerial already that she gets TG4 and TV3 on? The cable from this needs to go into Saorview box....not the dish cable. This will get her RTE1,2, TV3, TG4, 3e etc. If she wants the free Sat channels BBC/ITV etc she can re-use her old SKY box for these or purchase a Freesat box if SKY box not working.

Thanks for your reply.
    See this is the problem, I can't even get this information out of her, she is technologically stunted :p I really just want to throw whatever it is, 30euro or 40euro at the problem because trying to give her tech advice over skype of all things is just a nightmare!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

-Vega- wrote: »

Thanks for your reply.
    See this is the problem, I can't even get this information out of her, she is technologically stunted :p I really just want to throw whatever it is, 30euro or 40euro at the problem because trying to give her tech advice over skype of all things is just a nightmare!

right a saorview box isn't a replacement for sky. It is just the Irish channels and is just connected inline between the Ariel and TV provided it's the right type of Ariel. Very easy to connect. The same a connecting a video player pretty much. If it doesn't just work the Ariel will need to be changed so then you can call a pro.

To replace sky if she uses the saorview box she can just take out the sky card and cancel the subscription. You lose some channels but most still work. With sky you own the box and dish so they don't need to be returned.

I have tried to explain how to turn on Skype video over Skype to my parents now that was a weird call

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

-Vega- wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

It's very simple, ask your brother (not her) if she can get TV3 & TG4 throught the aerial at the back of the TV when her sky box is off.

If she can it's just a matter of setting the box up, the manuals are usually good.

If not you'll need a new aerial. There are plenty of sky/satellite dish installers around Galway. The TV or repair shops will have their own contacts. Try golden pages, it'll cost you a phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

thanks folks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement