Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2012 Darts Premier League Thread

• 08-02-2012 3:05pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So the Premier League is back on our screens tomorrow for a new season. i always enjoy the tournament at the start and lose interest near the end.

Anyway here are tomorrows fixtures:

Week One
    February 9 - Manchester Arena
    Andy Hamilton v James Wade
    Simon Whitlock v Raymond van Barneveld
    Kevin Painter v Gary Anderson
    Adrian Lewis v Phil Taylor

Will be interesting to see how Painter and Hamilton get on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I think Simon Whitock might win this tournament. I'd love to see him do.

It annoys me that Barney is there. He doesn't seem to care at the moment and wants everyone to know it. I get it's good for ratings for the Dutch angle, but you could get Van Der Voort or someone in!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

I think Hamilton could cause Wade problems tomorrow night. I'd imagine Wade will still be gutted from the World's, where as Hamilton will be trying very hard to prove himself on his debut. 5/2 is a very good price in this format.

Couldnt call a game involving Barney. He is still capable of hammering most players, and showed some signs of a revival last week. Not going near it.

I think this format is excellent for Anderson. Painter will try hard but Anderson will continuously outscore him and 8-15 is a fair price.

On what we saw last week , bar the last singles game, you would have to favour Lewis over the Power. 15/8 about Lewis is backable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Barney, Painter and Hamilton are going to wreak havoc with my accumulators. I can see it coming a mile off. None of them are going to win, they may not even make the playoffs, but all are good enough to beat any of the field on any given night. There's no clear favourite for the Wayne Mardle Cup this year.

The field is a bit uninspired looking at first glance, nothing we haven't seen plenty of times before and the first-timers probably won't contend, but at the same time it could make for a very tight, unpredictable league.

As for tonight's predictions:

Andy Hamilton 7-7 James Wade
    Simon Whitlock 8-3 Raymond van Barneveld
    Kevin Painter 5-8 Gary Anderson
    Adrian Lewis 4-8 Phil Taylor

Not confident in the slightest about the above picks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

Andy Hamilton 8-5 James Wade
    Simon Whitlock 8-6 Raymond van Barneveld
    Kevin Painter 7-7 Gary Anderson
    Adrian Lewis 5-8 Phil Taylor

• Registered Users Posts: 27 kingkev26

ham and wade 7-7 taylor lewis 7-7 barney to win 8-6 and anderson to win 8-4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Wade 8-4 Hamilton
    Whitlock 8-5 Barneveld
    Anderson 8-5 Painter
    Lewis 8-5 Taylor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭MoscowFlyer

Wade 8-5 Hamilton
    Whitlock 8-4 Barney
    Anderson 8-3 Painter
    Lewis 7-7 Taylor

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Great to have Sid Waddell back!

Some cracking quotes already,

"And there is the waywardness or wadewardness if you like"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭dexter647

Holy sh1t barny is smiling:D... Seriously though I hope he puts a bit of effort in tonight and give's whitlock a game...Would be nice to have the old Barny back:)

leggo wrote: »
    Barney, Painter and Hamilton are going to wreak havoc with my accumulators.

Andy Hamilton 7-7 James Wade

What'd I say?

Very disheartening to see Wade give up in the last leg, especially when it could have been there for the taking and he had the darts for the final leg. Grr...

• Advertisement

Gary Anderson's performances within a match tend to be very schizophrenic

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Good to see Barney go someway towards proving the naysayers wrong, if he can keep averaging 100+ he could go all the way.

Anderson/Painter was a shocking game.

This should be a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

C'mon Phil, love to see him hammer Lewis. Shud be great match tho anyway.

Wow Lewis playing amazing stuff here, Poor Phil doesn't know what's happenin :(

This is unreal. Lewis is playing the picture perfect game to beat Taylor here. Beating him at the game Taylor perfected: forcing silly mistakes, hitting doubles when it counts, those 180s at JUST the right times. He's over-powering The Power!

BUT...you still wouldn't put it past Phil. This could finish 8-1 Lewis or 8-6 Taylor yet.

leggo wrote: »
    This is unreal. Lewis is playing the picture perfect game to beat Taylor here. Beating him at the game Taylor perfected: forcing silly mistakes, hitting doubles when it counts, those 180s at JUST the right times. He's out-powering The Power!

BUT...you still wouldn't put it past Phil. This could finish 8-1 Lewis or 8-6 Taylor yet.

Lewis 100% on doubles! Taylor with a 105 avg 5-1 down!! Amazing standard

Insane standard.

Pity its not a World final.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

This is incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Wow. This might be the best i've ever seen Taylor play

This is finishing a draw.

• Advertisement

Jesus, these are some darts from Taylor to come back. What a match!!

wow 6-6 with an avg of 113 what a man Taylor is!! Hope he can finish it now with the win

Amazing.

Any of that 7/4 Taylor for the League still around :)

I can't remember a better Premier League game than that since Taylor came from behind to beat Barney to avenge his world final loss. Can anyone else?

Amazing match. Perfect way to end this week in darts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Some game.Lewis was brilliant early on but Taylor was absolutely ridiculous the last 7 legs.
    Great stuff.

That was top class, what a comeback by Taylor. 7-7 a fair result. 113 Avg by Taylor wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

that game proved that generally taylor is not gettin worse, the rest of the field are gettin better
    2 years ago taylor wouldv won 8-3 against anybody playin like that
    brilliant game, all i could do was laugh as the 180s went in

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

Superb night - biggest compliment I can give that last match is that nobody is talking about how good the Whitlock Barney match was - which was awesome - unbelievable - anyone dismisses this tournament as an exhibition is having a laugh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

What I learnt from last night

Wade, shows no sign of winning his mental problems. Body language changed in the game and it looked like he didnt want to be there.

Hammy, has kept his form from the worlds, and is the type of guy to prove the people doubting his wild card wrong.

Barney, one swallow does not a summer make and one game does not make a Barney come back

Whitlock, would love to see him win a major, he has the game but needs that special something to see him over the line

Painter, in my opinion should not be a wild card and did nothing to prove me wrong last night.

Anderson, has brought his BDO game to the PDC, well done sir. Needs a kick up the hole to get going again

Lewis, those first five legs were special, needs a good run in this and a major or two this year to join the pedestal with other greats. His trophy cupboard is a little too bare for a 2 time world champion.

Taylor, rumours of his demise are a little too premature. I think he needs to change his approach to games to peak at the right times, like golfers and tennis players for major events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

Superb night - biggest compliment I can give that last match is that nobody is talking about how good the Whitlock Barney match was - which was awesome - unbelievable - anyone dismisses this tournament as an exhibition is having a laugh!!

agree with you mate, barney whitlock was a brilliant game. i only get to see the first 2 games but they were both excellent ones. i had a feeling the hammer would win and he proved me right. saw brief of the taylor game. shows he's still producing brilliant darts. as others of said , the rest have upped their game alright but phil isn't dropping his standard :D

Advertisement