Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

County Club championships 2011

• 19-09-2011 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

We usually do one of these every year.
    So in Roscommon this year:
    October 9th SFC Final: St Brigid’s vs Elphin (a repeat of last year’s final, Brigids are red hot favourites)
    October 2nd IFC Final: Padraig Pearses vs St Dominics (Pearses will be favourites having been county finalists in 2008)
    October 2nd JF A Final: Clan na Gael vs Creggs (Creggs will be favourites here)
    Sept 25th Senior Hurling Championship Semi-Finals:
    Four Roads vs Padraig Pearses (Four Roads red hot favourites to win championship)
    Oran vs Athleague (Athleague Favourites)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Ah wud u look at this lad, winning the pools has gone to his head it seems!! Off he goes starting threads etc :( haha :)

Only messing, this will be a good thread, always nice to follow whats going on in every co. Can be a good way to beat the bookies.
    In Carlow The qfs were played at weekend and Tinryland (who i'm told are being followed by John Murray Radio show each week on radio 1) beat O'Hanrahans 3-16 to 0-10. Most predictable result of the wkend. Tinryland at 2/7 saw lots of my mates lump on that.

2nd qf was great game Eire Og, who in 90s were one of best clubs in Ireland, won 5 leinsters in 7 years, but once that team got old have suffered since. They won co title in 08 only one since that great side, last year ended in relegation play offs. This year they with seriously young side won 3-11 to 2-8. Semis are nxt wkend, Rathvilly v Tinryland & Eire Og v Old Leighlin.

From a betting angle, I reckon Rathvilly with Brendan Murphy playing great stuff will take Tinryland...and might win it out. See what the odds are, but worth a few quid on Rathvilly winning it out.

Eo v OL is a toss up, 2 good teams, will be a point in it either way. Can't see either beat Rathvilly in final.

Wow that went on a bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Deise 2012

Waterford Senior Hurling Semi Finals

Ballygunner V De La Salle
    Ballyduff Upper V Tallow.

Games to be played first weekend of October

Football quarter Finals
    The Nire V An Rinn
    Stradbally V Ardmore
    Ballinacourty V Gaultier
    Brickeys V Kilrossanty
    Games to be played this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Galway:

Football is at semi final stages. One semi is Corofin v Milltown. This one could be close, Corofin favourites but beatable. Defence includes Damien Burke, Kieran Fitzgerald and Alan Burke. Gary Sice is there aswell. Forward line not that great though. Kinda fancy Milltown to take them.

The other semi is Salthill/Knocknacarra vs either Tuam Stars or the winners of Mountbellew/Moylough vs Cortoon replay. Salthill have been going very well and look the most likely to come through this side of the draw.

The hurling championship isn't even at the quarter final stage yet so not much to report there. Portumna the team to beat again with Joe Canning, Damien Hayes, Andy Smith and Kevin Hayes giving them a very powerful forward line at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

St Mary's carrick try to prevent glencar/manorhamilton a 3 in a row in leitrim while tourlestran face coolers /strandhill in sligo. Former kingpins easkey and tubbercurry face off to see who drops to intermediate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Dublin

A total free for all. A huge fixture congestion now ensues.

Hurling has been proposed to revert to knockout rather than group and knockout.Football is up in arms too with the next 5 weeks set to see at least one game on per evening and in a lot of cases,double headers in Parnell Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 ROBBO7

Stevecw wrote: »
    Ah wud u look at this lad, winning the pools has gone to his head it seems!! Off he goes starting threads etc :( haha :)

Only messing, this will be a good thread, always nice to follow whats going on in every co. Can be a good way to beat the bookies.
    In Carlow The qfs were played at weekend and Tinryland (who i'm told are being followed by John Murray Radio show each week on radio 1) beat O'Hanrahans 3-16 to 0-10. Most predictable result of the wkend. Tinryland at 2/7 saw lots of my mates lump on that.

2nd qf was great game Eire Og, who in 90s were one of best clubs in Ireland, won 5 leinsters in 7 years, but once that team got old have suffered since. They won co title in 08 only one since that great side, last year ended in relegation play offs. This year they with seriously young side won 3-11 to 2-8. Semis are nxt wkend, Rathvilly v Tinryland & Eire Og v Old Leighlin.

From a betting angle, I reckon Rathvilly with Brendan Murphy playing great stuff will take Tinryland...and might win it out. See what the odds are, but worth a few quid on Rathvilly winning it out.

Eo v OL is a toss up, 2 good teams, will be a point in it either way. Can't see either beat Rathvilly in final.

Wow that went on a bit!

Howya as you seem to go to a lot of these matches how did Palatine look this year and who knocked them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ROBBO7

Kildare SFC Semi Finals

Athy Vs St Laurences
    carbury vs Celbridge

Big shocks for punters in QFS as reigning champions Moorefield knocked out along with fancied Sarsfields outfit.

Bookies have Laurences slight favourites but Athy are 2nd favourites to win it out so thats the match to go to.
    Carbury with the 2 O'Flahertys against the 2008 winners Celbridge who are a bit big at 9/1 should be a good one too. Both matches on at weekend preceded by both minor Semi Finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

ROBBO7 wrote: »
    Howya as you seem to go to a lot of these matches how did Palatine look this year and who knocked them out?

Pal came 2nd in their group this year, but were in by far the weakest one. It was them that lost to Eire Og on Saturday, 3-11 to 2-8 in quarter final.

They looked ok, but still relying on too many guys who are well into their 30's by now...Brian Farrell, Joe Byrne, most of the Reids etc.

Need to find a mf as Murtagh Ware & Eoghan Ruth destroyed them there at wkend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

blackbelt wrote: »
    Dublin

A total free for all. A huge fixture congestion now ensues.

Hurling has been proposed to revert to knockout rather than group and knockout.Football is up in arms too with the next 5 weeks set to see at least one game on per evening and in a lot of cases,double headers in Parnell Park.

Is there a chance that Dublin won't have representation in the Leinster club championships this year?

Galway may not have one in Connacht after all the problems with the SFC and now there is a replay this weekend..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Kerry County Championship will be kicking back into action in the next few weeks.

02/10/2011
    East Kerry vs Dingle

08/10/2011
    West Kerry vs Kerins O Rahillys

09/10/2011
    Rathmore vs Mid Kerry
    Dr Crokes vs Austin Stacks

Few interesting matches,Tommy Walsh back for Kerins O Rahillys,big boost for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Kojak wrote: »
    Is there a chance that Dublin won't have representation in the Leinster club championships this year?

Galway may not have one in Connacht after all the problems with the SFC and now there is a replay this weekend..

No,Dublin will just about have a representative but the only problem is that the champions will have to play the following week against the Meath Champions.I can only imagine should a game end in a draw that extra time periods will have to be played as a replay is not viable if we want Leinster representation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

blackbelt wrote: »
    No,Dublin will just about have a representative but the only problem is that the champions will have to play the following week against the Meath Champions.I can only imagine should a game end in a draw that extra time periods will have to be played as a replay is not viable if we want Leinster representation.

Yeah 3rd round is being run next weekend ... nice double header in PP on the Saturday .. Kickhams v Isles and Brigids v Na Fianna. All matches go to extra time - I have a feeling they're cutting out a round to get it finished in time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Quarter Finals in the Tipp senior Hurling take place this weekend the line-up is

Thurles v Loughmore
    Drom v Toomevara
    Clonoulty v Nenagh
    Borrisoleigh v Mullinahone

The first one will be a cracker and IMO is the county final, Thurles looked very good the last day against a Kildangan team who had won the AI sevens just two weeks previous, they were 6 points down after 20 mins playing against a very strong wind but then scored 1-11 unanswered either side of HT time to win by 8 eventually, on paper they have a team capable of wining an AI but there are always question marks about their mentality and their appetite for a battle, winter hurling doesnt really suit them, Loughmore will be no pushover and are a very very strong outfit with such hurlers as Noel McGrath, Michael Webster, Liam McGrath, Tom King, Evan Sweeney, David Kennedy etc. I think Thurles will just about have enough but the 3/1 about Loughmore is way overpriced and actually downright ludicrous.

Second game is just as intriquing and I actually predict a bit of an upset here, Drom are 13/8 and I think have enough to get past an ageing Toom team who havent played in nearly two months and are without John O'Brien who is suspended and their best hurler so far this year Joey McLoughney who has emigrated. The key battle I guess will be Benny Dunne v Seamus Callinan, Seamie has been on fire for the club this year and I expect Drom to come out on top.

Clonoulty v Nenagh is a tough one to call, Nenagh have a number of injury worries and the most notable been the loss of Kevin Tucker who is the leader of their team, however Clonolty havent played in along time and their division is by far the weakest in Tipp so they havent really been tested yet, that said I fancy them to win this one with Timmy Hammersley and John O'Neill doing the damage against a suspect Nenagh FB line.

The last one is a real toss of a coin, Borris are just so hard to play against they are very good defensively and off course have the great talent that is Brendan Maher, however they do struggle to put up big scores and the rest of their forwards are relatively poor. Mullinahone on the other hand have Eoin Kelly, Paul Kelly, Niall Curran, Paul Curran and Sean Curran to call upon, they havent really impressed this year so far but one would feel as has happened in the past they will improve when they get to Semple Stadium, the key to this game will be the match ups between Paddy Stapelton and Eoin Kelly and Brendan Maher and Paul Curran, whoever wins these battles will have a big bearing on the final outcome.

From a betting perspective I would reccomend a nice double on Drom and Clonoulty @ 3/1 with PP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Cork County SFC Semi Finals Saturday September 24th Pairc Ui Rinn

6 15pm Avondhu v UCC.
    7 45pm Carbery Rangers v Castlehaven.

Avondhu dethroned reigning and Munster champions Nemo Rangers in the quarter final but I think they might come a cropper here against an improving UCC who'll welcome back players to the panel after the summer break.

The 2nd game is a West Cork derby and promises to be a tough hard fought affair but I give Castlehaven the nod here over the Ross boys.

• Tipp senior hurling semis will include CJ Kickhams Mullinahone, Clonoulty-Rossmore, Thurles Sarsfields, and Drom-Inch. Open draw tomorrow night. Long term dominators Toomevara knocked out today by Drom-Inch by 10 points.

Football im not sure of thus far but will post it up as soon as i know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

Crossmaglen and Ballymacnab to contest armagh senior county final after beating Pearse Og and Granemore respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Glencar /manorhamilton beat carrick in leitrim final for their 4th senior title in a row. Melvin Gaels won intermediate for a swift return to senior ranks. In Longford St Bridget's (killashee/clondra) won their first intermediate since 03 beating ballymore by a point

• In Tipperary football championship, Arravale Rovers and Clonmel Commercials are through to the county semis after winning the west and south finals repectively.

In the quarters are JK Brackens (Mid champions), Thomas Mcdonaghs (North champions - combo team), and i think but im not sure, Galtee Rovers and Moyle Rovers (both via qualifiers)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Wexford hurling semi finals were on Sunday, Rathnure and Oulart both made the final. The football semi finals are next weekend, with Horeswood playing St Mogue's Fethard and Castletown-Liam Mellows playing Sarsfields.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Ballyhale and Carrickshock drew the weekend in the Kilkenny S.H.C Quarter Final.

St.Martins and James Stephens won their Quarter finals.

Dicksboro won their replay and will play O'Loughlins in the remaining Q.F.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I think Thurles will just about have enough but the 3/1 about Loughmore is way overpriced and actually downright ludicrous.Thurles won by 4 in a cracker, they will take some stoping now

The key battle I guess will be Benny Dunne v Seamus Callinan, Seamie has been on fire for the club this year and I expect Drom to come out on top. Seamie scored 12 points as Drom upset the odds

I fancy them to win this one with Timmy Hammersley and John O'Neill doing the damage against a suspect Nenagh FB line. John o'Neill scored 2-3 as Clonoulty won handy enough

The last one is a real toss of a coin, Mullinahone won in extra time

From a betting perspective I would reccomend a nice double on Drom and Clonoulty @ 3/1 with PP. Easy money :D

If only all weekends were this easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭razor425

Anyone have any info on the Clare senior football championship. I know Kilmurray are odds on favourites but have any of the others got a chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

razor425 wrote: »
    Anyone have any info on the Clare senior football championship. I know Kilmurray are odds on favourites but have any of the others got a chance?

Kilmurray are sh1te hot favs according to the bookies.

They play Dual club Cratloe,who are also in the county snr hurling semi final,Next weekend in the county semi final in Lissycasey, 13 of the Cratloe players who took part in their quarter final 7pt win took to the field last sat eve to play with the hurlers in their hurling qfinal victory.
    i Have no doubt that the bookies will make Kilmurray Ibricken favourites in their clash next weekend but my money will be on Cratloe! these 2 teams met in last years Qfinal with Kilmurray coming out on top after a disputed point clinching victory,that winning score was a sore point for Cratloe and honest Kilmurray Ibricken supporters will tell you the ball was wide:) i will be attending this game like i did the Qfinals where i saw a classy bunch of intelligent footballers win handily at odds of 8/11:D:D get in!! i also saw Kilmurray grind out a 1 point win in their match,There is something lacking in this Kilmurray team and i dont believe they will beat Cratloe the one concern i have is the venue,Cratloe seem to play all their games in Cusack park ennis,the venue for this clash is Lissycasey,im not sure if any of their players have ever played at this venue,Kilmurray would be comfortable with the venue.

The other semi final sees St josephs doora barefield play Wolfe tones of shannon in cusack park ennis.
    Josephs had a 1 point win over county champions Doonbeg in the qfinal last time out,All Ireland and former kerry goalkeeper Declan of keefe contributed 2 points from frees for his side,this was a very physical contest played in wintry conditions hence the low scoreline of 7 points to 6,but Fair play to barefield,they stuck to their task and despite going 4 points down in the 2nd half the edged their way back and in the final minute of normal time,the winning score came,the victory was helped by Doonbegs wayward shooting in front of goal,both from 21yrd frees and from play,to be honest doonbeg would have been kicking themselves after throwing it away imo.
    Wolftones entered this years snr championship as underdogs in every group game,i saw them leave the field of play,after allowing Kilkee to claw back a 4point lead in the closing stages a week ago,utterly disgusted with themselves,it was like a defeat and many felt they had left their chance to advance to the county semi final behind them,but No,they had a 4 point victory over the same opposition yesterday,at 1 stage they lead kilkee 1-7 v 0-2pts.

Tones v barefield is a hard one to call,barefield will be favs but only a fool would back against a team who have thrived on their underdog tags all year,what a reward it would be for Patsy Keys an co to get to a county snr football final,for what many regard as a hurling club,then again,the same could be said of the once crowned all ireland club champions,st josephs doora barefield;)

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

In Donegal, its Glenswilly v St.Michaels in the Senior final, a novel pairing even though they have been challengers in recent times. Give the nod to Glenswilly though might be tight.

Intermediate final is St.Nauls v Naomh Columba or Naomh Colmcille,

St.Nauls will be looking to break their hoodoo as they have lost so many Intermediate finals its unreal.
    Naomh Colmcille surprisingly held Naomh Columba in the other semi-final so a replay is required. Naomh Colmcille were probably the worst team in Donegal not that long ago so to see then close to an Intermediate final is impressive.
    Still fancy Naomh Columba to win the replay and then prolong the Nauls misery.

Not sure about the Junior or Hurling finals yet.

Well done to County Board or whoever for getting the Championship played even though Donegal reached an All-Ireland semi-final this year. Quite a few other counties who didnt get as far as Donegal seem to be further behind in their club championships. Proof that Club football doesnt need to stop just because the County team is doing well.

• Confirmation from Tipperary.gaa.ie

COUNTY SENIOR FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

The county senior football championship quarter final draws and fixtures were made on Monday night last. On Saturday October 1 Moyle Rovers will play Galtee Rovers / St. Pecaun at 1.30pm at Leahy Park, Cashel. On Sunday October 9, JK Brackens will play Thomas MacDonaghs at Toomevara at 3pm. Arravale Rovers and Clonmel Commercials have already qualified for the semi-finals.

COUNTY SENIOR HURLING CHAMPIONSHIP SEMI-FINALS

The county senior hurling semi-finals will take place next Sunday at Semple Stadium. Drom and Inch will play Mullinahone at 2pm with Fergal Horgan in charge and Thurles Sarsfields will play Clonoulty Rossmore at 3pm with John Cleary as referee. Thurles Sarsfields defeated Clonoulty Rossmore in last year’s county final and they last met at semi-final stage in 2008 when Sarsfields won a replay after extra time. It’s interesting to note that Clonoulty Rossmore are coached this year by former Sarsfields player, Liam Cahill. Drom and Inch and Mullinahone have never met at semi-final stage but Mullinahone won their earlier round clash in last year’s championship. It is interesting to note that this is the first time since 1997 and only the second time since 1959 that no team from the North Division qualified for the semi-finals. The county senior hurling final will be played at Semple Stadium on October 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,988 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Wexford senior football semi-finals on this Sunday

Horeswood v Fethard contest the first. Horeswood are hot favourites to make it to the final again and will be looking to win their fourth title since 2005. Fethard may be underdogs but have scraped back to back one-point victories against both Shelmaliers and Gusserane, who were both favourites going into the match. The fact that they are district rivals means that it'll be close and tight but on paper Horeswood should have too much firepower, with PJ Banville to the fore.

The other semi consists of defending champions Castletown and another of the season's surprise packets Sarsfields. Castletown have built up a ten match unbeaten championship run but survived by the skin of their teeth when forced to extra time by Shelmaliers in the last round. While Sarsfields scored an odd score of 4-2 in the quarter to beat Adamstown by three, they have notched some high scores all year and will certainly relish the chance to knock the champs off the perch. Castletown have injury doubts over two key forwards James Holmes and Anthony Masterson and may be vulnerable in their absence. But should they be fit, they should have the experience and tactical nous to account for Sarsfields.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Meath Senior Football final is on Sunday between Dunshaughlin and Summerhill in Navan.
    Both weren't expected to win their respective semi finals. Summerhill beat Wolfe Tones and Dunshaughlin beat Donaghmore/Ashbourne.
    Summerhill are 1/2 favourites to win on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Latest courtesy of DCB (hill16.ie)

The eventual Dublin county club champions of 2011 in both football and hurling will get to play in the Leinster club championship after the Leinster Council on Wednesday night voted unanimously to accept a proposal to alter the dates of their competitions in order to facilitate Dublin’s championship.
    The eventual football champions will play the Meath representatives (final this Sunday, Dunshaughlin v Summerhill) in Navan on November 13 while the Dublin hurling champions will face Westmeath’s representatives November 6.
    The Dublin county board will now form a sub-committee which will forumulate new proposal over the scheduling of both the football and hurling championships in order to avoid such delays in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Good to see although they should put in place a rule where club championship should be played once there is more than 2 weeks between inter county matches.

The idea of playing a match in April and next round is October is crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Kerry County Championship will be kicking back into action in the next few weeks.

02/10/2011
    East Kerry vs Dingle

08/10/2011
    West Kerry vs Kerins O Rahillys

09/10/2011
    Rathmore vs Mid Kerry
    Dr Crokes vs Austin Stacks

Few interesting matches,Tommy Walsh back for Kerins O Rahillys,big boost for them

Barry John Walsh out for the rest of the year now though, along with David Moran obv.

Advertisement