Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling Costs

• 28-03-2011 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Hi There

Was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this,
    Was quoted at the weekend for tiles and the grout / adhesive requried to lay them.
    Tiles were fine and we purchased them, however the grout and adhesive came to about €350 euro.
    This is for approximately 10 square yards of floor adhesive ( flexible stuff for UFH ), approximately 40 square yards of wall adhesive and enough grout for both. It is only for one bathroom.
    Has anyone any thoughts on this quotation?
    Do the big tile chains give you good deals on the tiles like we got and make some of it back through the 'extras'?

Thanks for your time
    JB

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jj build

JB81 wrote: »
    Do the big tile chains give you good deals on the tiles like we got and make some of it back through the 'extras'?

Thanks for your time
    JB
    Hi ,you have it in one ,i never buy adhesive or grout from a tile shop, you will get a 20kg bag of flexible adhesive (not sure if for uhf )for 20 to 30 euro and wall tile adhesive from 15 to 25 for a 10lt tub go to a good builders providers or at a push b&q. You should be able to save more than half the qoute you got.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

jj build wrote: »
    Hi ,you have it in one ,i never buy adhesive or grout from a tile shop, you will get a 20kg bag of flexible adhesive (not sure if for uhf )for 20 to 30 euro and wall tile adhesive from 15 to 25 for a 10lt tub go to a good builders providers or at a push b&q. You should be able to save more than half the qoute you got.

as he says^. Get your tiles from the tile shop, and nothing else. Tools and fixing materials are way cheaper in builders providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭captivo

Hi What about tiler costs? I'm looking to get a kitchen splash back (approx 12 yards sq) done in the next few weeks. Anyone got an idea about cost per sq yard for tilers in South Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 marksetgo

captivo wrote: »
    Hi What about tiler costs? I'm looking to get a kitchen splash back (approx 12 yards sq) done in the next few weeks. Anyone got an idea about cost per sq yard for tilers in South Dublin?

Hi captivo a tiler will charge you by the square meter , depending on what type of tile your using e.g ceramic porcelean marble etc,,,and if your getting any designs or just tiling in a straight forward pattern will all depend on the cost general cost now is around 15 per square meter for ceramic pm me if you need the job done

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Golden Ireland

Anybody have any recommendations for good tilers in Dublin area that charge less than 15 per sq foot, that seems like a lot - e.g. an average kitchen would be 20 sq metres and would surely take less than a day's labour to complete?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Anybody have any recommendations for good tilers in Dublin area that charge less than 15 per sq foot, that seems like a lot - e.g. an average kitchen would be 20 sq metres and would surely take less than a day's labour to complete?

15 a square metre wouldnt be bad in fairness. and you have to allow that there is cutting to be done around kitchen units and fitting to suit, its not a case of having a room 4 x 5m and just laying them out in one big run.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 marksetgo

Hi as i was saying tilers charge by the square meter not square foot so
    if you have 20 square meters to tile at 15 per square meter that works out at 300 euro for the labour

20 square meters will take 2 guys most of a day to tile and grout doing the job to a high standard ,,the reason tiling is expensive ,,,,if the job is done correct it will last 10+ years thats not a bad return for 300 euro

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jj build

hi, i dont know Bruschi but if he is charging 15e a sq meter ,and the job is 12 sq yards = 10 sq meters that's 150e for the splash back witch he will probably have to come back to grout and silicone and if you take into account his own expenses (tax diesel etc ), i know with the recession on you will get it cheaper but not by much if he does a good professional job its well wort it. You get what you pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Depends on the Tile / number of tilers / rectified edge / uneven floors / if tiler talks the arrse off customer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 torres123

bruschi wrote: »
    as he says^. Get your tiles from the tile shop, and nothing else. Tools and fixing materials are way cheaper in builders providers.

have to disagree with you there.. dont go by that as a general rule..yes certain shops have given this conclusion, i would say shop around, and definitely dont buy adheseive from the tiler.. because hes charging the same and more than the shop, where if you buy from the shop they and the manufacture will stand over the adhesive.. you ring the tiler in 2 yrs time if your tiles fall off the wall and he wont even remember which adhsive he used.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Dont buy cheap crap either. It can be like buying condoms with pinholes

Advertisement