Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

JSA Under 25 Means test - Living abroad

Options
  • 30-12-2010 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hello all,

I am applying for Job Seekers allowance as I'm four contributions short for the full benefit. I'm under 25 and have recently moved home so my parents will have to be means tested. I don't think I'll be entitled to much on the basis of my parents earnings but then I saw on the citizens advice website that:

If you have lived elsewhere in Ireland (or abroad) independent of your parents for at least 3 years, benefit and privilege is assessed as €7.

I moved out about 6 years ago, so I rang the dole office and they said to contact the social welfare office about this - the social welfare office said they would get back to me on it, they didn't seem to know it existed, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence - has anyone else successfully applied this exception?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Try citizens advice they might be able to help you on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

Why should parents income be assessed for independent adult - that is just ridiculous. Have you a friends address you could borrow while undergoing the assessment process?

Advertisement