Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ Canaan Abundant Cougar

Try this jor_el:

Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> Running or All -> Gmail -> Force Stop

Do this for whatever apps/services you want stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Rai555

You can get z4root here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833953

And OCLF here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=784691

However!! The developer of OCLF has now developed a new lag fix which he claims is significantly better than OCLF, you can find out more and download it here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=845337

If you do root with z4root and then go with z4mod instead of OCLF perhaps you might report back here and let us know if all is hunky dory? I'd go for z4mod myself but I'm too lazy to uninstall OCLF when it's doing an ok job for me!!

Anyone else using z4mod instead of OCLF? Anyone change from OCLF to z4mod? I'd like to hear your thoughts on z4mod.

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭fransdev

Update to Froyo for SGS on Three is out :
    http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/three-s...eky+Gadgets%29

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Thinking of getting the SGS off meteor this weekend, they seem to have the best 12 month package price wise?

Was just wondering if meteor block you putting your own apps onto the phone though (assuming you don't root it), I've been learning to use the android SDK and would prefer to keep the warranty (as far as I have found you can't get rid of the root mod should you need the warranty?)

That said, rooting looks like the way to go..

New to all this so excuse the ignorance

if you back up before you root you can restore it and there is apparently no way to tell it was rooted

edit; also i have the at+t version its called the captivate and i use it over here and can put whatever i want on it but then i have rooted it and put cognition on it, gps dosnt work but everything else runs sweet. also just got the otterbox commuter and cant recomend it enough so much better then my old soft case and screen protecter

if your phone dosnt do basic things out of the box like send sms / mms then bring it back thats unacceptable it dosnt however have anything to do with android or even samsung for that matter. more advanced features not working like gps are all samsung however. i like fiddling with things so i love my phone and have it running better than any other phone iv used or seen but it annoys me when people bitch about things not working, you just bought it if its that big a deal either bring it back and get a replacement / refund / different phone or fix it yourself its not that hard

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

O2 update is out. Painless enough firmware upgrade, once I went and updated Kies first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭COB MGV8

Anyone still having GPS problems with their Galaxy S on 2.2 ? Have tried settings recommended by Ben on earlier post - still no joy

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

BenEadir wrote: »
    Rai555

You can get z4root here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833953

And OCLF here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=784691

However!! The developer of OCLF has now developed a new lag fix which he claims is significantly better than OCLF, you can find out more and download it here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=845337

If you do root with z4root and then go with z4mod instead of OCLF perhaps you might report back here and let us know if all is hunky dory? I'd go for z4mod myself but I'm too lazy to uninstall OCLF when it's doing an ok job for me!!

Anyone else using z4mod instead of OCLF? Anyone change from OCLF to z4mod? I'd like to hear your thoughts on z4mod.

Ben

Thank you so much, will fiddle over the weekend with this stuff :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Every time the battery gets fully charged,a notification tone goes off. How do i turn this off? It keeps waking me up. If i put notifications on silent then i dont hear txt msgs coming through

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Every time the battery gets fully charged,a notification tone goes off. How do i turn this off? It keeps waking me up. If i put notifications on silent then i dont hear txt msgs coming through

i dont have the answer to your question but one thing i remember reading is if you do not unplug your charger after you get that notification, ie you over charge the phone then you are more likely to suffer the mysterious shutting off phone bug that affects some galaxy s's

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

One thing that has always annoyed me about the Galaxy S is that is the battery power falls below a certain level, then you're no longer able to use the radio or MP3 player. Is there anyway to stop this?

• Advertisement

Yep, camera is the same. A little annoying. Anyway to stop this?
    One thing that has always annoyed me about the Galaxy S is that is the battery power falls below a certain level, then you're no longer able to use the radio or MP3 player. Is there anyway to stop this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Surely you won't want to hear text messages coming through though at night time, do you?
    I just put the phone on silent mode when it's charging during the night and then change the profile back to the normal level when I wake up.
    The alarm will still go off in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1 oc666

I'm on three and tried to upgrade to the available froyo rom through kies.
    Downloaded the rom and the upgrade failed with the error message "unable to convert to upgrade mode"

Anybody else seen this error?

Rang three and was told that the rom currently available through kies is a beta version for testing and that was causing the error!!!!!???

And that the official three release would be available sometime in december

I also suffer from the issue where by i can't manually boot into recovery mode with the three button option(volume down, home, power) Are many others having this problem?

Have only just switched to three to try them out, they appear to be rubbish what is the general consensus?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Seems to be confirmed that the galaxy will get 2.3 Gingerbread.
    Here we go again with the waiting...........
    And there I was content and happy after getting 2.2 installed

Story here.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭delynet

Was just reading about the possibility of Gingerbread and I came across this. 2.2.1 is just out

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s/233752-official-stock-froyo-2-2-1-out-i9000xxjpu.html

Like the sound of the faster browser so think I will give it a go

I've also just read 2.2.1 is out. Thought someone from boards might have tried it already. Any thoughts? Tempted to give it a goo.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭poxon

Im on three.ie and I still cant upgrade my phone, KIES is sayong that device version cannot be updated :/ any1 with updated phone on three?

Upgraded to beta 2.2.1 JPU yesterday via Odin. Fairly straight forward, although I had to re-partition because I had the voodoo lagfix installed.

Flying along today but I suspect this is because it's a fresh flash. :P

Quadrant scores 1200+ (on stock fw). Haven't had a chance to check out what's difference. Browser definitely appears faster though. :)
    I've also just read 2.2.1 is out. Thought someone from boards might have tried it already. Any thoughts? Tempted to give it a goo.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

i upgraded to froyo and ony my phone gone terrible loads force closes and stalling its very annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

hi guys
    you know the way on a pc you can defragment or do a re install or even clean out your history is there anything you can do with the galaxy like that?i know you can delete the history but is that it? in other words maintain it i suppose.

cheers

• Advertisement

Just an update on 2.2.1 JPU.

Battery life isn't as good as on JPO. GPS lock is very quick.
    Oh and I see that the available memory is now 339MB (previously 304MB).

Edit: Scratch that, the battery life is horrendous. At 2am it was 46% full, this morning at 8 it was 1%. :eek: I'm going to flash back to JPO :s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Ye will be glad to see this, hope ye wont have long to wait
    Samsung Galaxy S to Receive Android Gingerbread 2.3 Update

http://www.gadgetsandgizmos.org/samsung-galaxy-s-to-receive-android-gingerbread-2-3-update/
    The power of Twitter has revealed that the Samsung Galaxy S will receive an update to Android Gingerbread 2.3. Customers in India asked Samsung via Twitter whether the Galaxy S would get an upgrade to 2.3 and two Tweets confirmed that it would, however no release date has been given.

Game developers only got their hands on Android Gingerbread 2.3 last week so it will at least be a few weeks before an update to the Galaxy S is ready. Other manufacturers hoping on the Gingerbread bandwagon quickly include LG who is said to be in the process of updating the LG optimus. HTC have also confirmed that their range of Android devices will also receive the update but much like the others there is no clear indication when

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

seeing as I don't have 2.2 yet, I won't hold my breath :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

rai555 You'll find them on the xda-developers.com forums. Start here - look down the forum.

boy after those tricks got 1780 on quadrant benchmark, was 960 before the fix, amazing gain !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Just an update on 2.2.1 JPU.

Battery life isn't as good as on JPO. GPS lock is very quick.
    Oh and I see that the available memory is now 339MB (previously 304MB).

Edit: Scratch that, the battery life is horrendous. At 2am it was 46% full, this morning at 8 it was 1%. :eek: I'm going to flash back to JPO :s

Bear, the current setup I have is JP7. I'm still getting to grips with all this Android stuff so apologies for the newbie question but is JPO newer than JP7 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭desertstorm

Awesome awesome phone, just got mine today! better yet it came with froyo setup on it which I was surprised to find as I was told I'd have to do it myself, double checked by visiting a few flash sites :)

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Craigels wrote: »
    i upgraded to froyo and ony my phone gone terrible loads force closes and stalling its very annoying

Do a factory reset, it will delete all the messages and reset the home screens, but makes the difference

Hi Rowley,

I'm still learning this stuff myself. Plenty of reading on XDA!
    From the list on samfirmware.com, I9000XFJP7 is from the same month as I9000XXJPO (October). Probably just a regional variant.

I9000XXJPU (a beta froyo 2.2.1) is from December.

Back on JPO now a few hours and battery seems to be back to normal. Phew!
    Bear, the current setup I have is JP7. I'm still getting to grips with all this Android stuff so apologies for the newbie question but is JPO newer than JP7 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Hi Rowley,

I'm still learning this stuff myself. Plenty of reading on XDA!
    From the list on samfirmware.com, I9000XFJP7 is from the same month as I9000XXJPO (October). Probably just a regional variant.

I9000XXJPU (a beta froyo 2.2.1) is from December.

Back on JPO now a few hours and battery seems to be back to normal. Phew!

Cheers, there is a lot to take in with this Android craic!

Are you back to getting 24-36 hours on your battery so? Would you be able to post your batterystats.bin file?

• Advertisement

I will indeed Rowley. Only flashed back to JPO yesterday, so can't say what the battery life is like yet. I still have to root, voodoo, tweak etc. over the next couple of days.
    So give me a few days and I'll post it up. Not sure what you're gonna do with it though!

Regarding 2.2.1 JPU - Posts on XDA confirming the few problems I noticed with the firmware. So it wasn't just me! :) (In particular the battery drain)

Advertisement