Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Urgent help needed : Shelter in desperat need of help !!!!

Options
  • 09-09-2008 1:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

I am appealing to you's all to please help in any way possible to help Ash animal rescue they are in real trouble and need all the help they can get.

At present they are struggling just to feed these animals in which they go to great Lenght's to rescue and rehome, they are a none profit and no kill policy shelter, who also rescue dogs from pounds all over the country, they really need our help.

These animals are our animals and we owe it to them to help look after them they can not fend for them selfs and have no were else to go so please make a donation or offer some help in these dark times for them.

Please do not put this to the back of your mind do it now they are fast running out of food you can make donations on their web site http://www.ashanimalrescue.com or if you can't their are many other ways to help.

I am going to try to get a food drive together and need volunteers from all round the country to help, I first need people with vans or large cars who will be willing to collect the food and delivery it to them, for those living far from Wicklow that can help I will try to make arrangements for them to drop it half way and some one else to carry it on to Ash. Once this is organised I will need people to set up drop zone's for the food, this could be community halls, schools, shopping centre's or even a house that is not to far out of the way, then posters will need to be put up to tell people about it, local radio station to give a shout out on this and news papers, this all needs to be done asap. They can not wait.

If there is anything you can think of to help from jumble sales to shaking a bucket for them please call me on 085 749 7145.

I know animal week is the 4th to the 10th of October but these animals can not wait until then. Please talk to your schools and see if they will help to ask pupils to donate a euro or two for a no uniform day, or if you work for a large company to do the same. Any company, school etc that would be willing to help will also need evidence that this money or food is going to the right place so please ask them for their e-mail, fax no. and phone no. and I will pass this onto them, you can pm it to me along with your own name and no.

This all needs to take place asap and any help is welcome if you know someone in radio or newspapers please ask them if they can pass on the massage.

You can also help by adopting a pet from them if you were thinking of getting one, one less for them to feed is just as much help, they recently tuck in 120 cats and kittens which has pushed them over the edge all in the space of two days so please go see if they have a pet you are looking for from them first.

It has also come to my attention that the pet expo organisers are looking for 500euro from Ash and other shelters to put up a stand at the pet expo RDS and yet they are willing to pay celebs 10,000eure to attend so they can attract people to it I think this is a disgrace when these shelters are struggling to stay a float, so if you are heading there this year please right a dame good letter addressed to the organisers at how disgraceful this is to ask them for money and ask for them when you get there and give them the letter yourself.

I hope you's will all help as I say these are not just shelter animals they are yours and mine and they need our help, if any one out there is good with comeputers and knows of any other sites this can be placed on please don't hesitate to do so.

This couple that run this shelter are the most loving and caring people in the world I have meet them on a few occasions and can honestly say these are the type that should be running the shelters in this country, they turn no animal in need away and care for them like there own children, I was helping to raise funds to build a cattery and new kennels as they are badly needed but all this money has gone now on the basics so please think of them in the further as well.

All and any help is welcomed and needed yesterday.

Hope the mods don't mind me putting this up they are in their darkist time ever and need all the help they can get.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Posted to my own site. Hopefully they will get the help they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Hi...i have a car and can help with transporting food etc! PM me if you would like my help! ASH do great work ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Just made a donation - where/when are you planning to organise the food drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Will send a cheque to them .Try the media publicity will help .

Try the Sean Moncrieff show on Newstalk .... he reads stuff out from the public regularly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭XxlauraxX

maybe fm104 with adrian & jeremy they are usually good when people want to broadcast charities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭mobby

Just donated a few bob hope it helps good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I can't thank every one enough for your kindness.

I do not have a date for the food drive just yet as I need to get enough people together for it to happen so keep watch!! I'm hoping to get enough replys by the weekend so it can go ahead next week.

Anyone with cars and vans will be contacted then, so please hang in there until I contact you.

Mod's thank you so much for moving this for me and allowing me to post it.

These people are wonderful and do the best they can with what little they have but with out support they can't keep going and to many shelters have already shut down over the same problems.

If anyone is heading to the pet expo this year it would be of help if you could also write a short letter to the organizers who want to charge them and other charities 500 euro plus to set up a stand, while they don't mind paying celebs 10,000 euro too turn up just to attact people, I personnaly think this is a disgrace to ask of any well meaning group who are already struggling to meet the demands of the animals in their care with out having to fork out this kind of money, the organizers are getting any thing between 500 - 3,000 eure or more form companies who are setting up stands, you'd think they'd cut them a bit of slack, so please bring a quick letter along addressed to the organizers to show your disappointment and leave it at the help desk for them to pick up. I for one will not go unless Ash needs help but I will still give in the letter.

Again I will never be able to thank every one enough for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Hi - just made a donation.

I can help with driving food if necessary from Kilkenny/Carlow area. Carlow Volunteer Centre can be a depot for food if you can get anyone to organise the publicity for it in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

If anyone is heading to the pet expo this year it would be of help if you could also write a short letter to the organizers who want to charge them and other charities 500 euro plus to set up a stand, while they don't mind paying celebs 10,000 euro too turn up just to attact people, I personnaly think this is a disgrace to ask of any well meaning group who are already struggling to meet the demands of the animals in their care with out having to fork out this kind of money, the organizers are getting any thing between 500 - 3,000 eure or more form companies who are setting up stands, you'd think they'd cut them a bit of slack, so please bring a quick letter along addressed to the organizers to show your disappointment and leave it at the help desk for them to pick up. I for one will not go unless Ash needs help but I will still give in the letter.
    I actually didnt know this when Pet Expo were in Cork. I assumed they had set aside X amount of space for rescues and volunteer organisations :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 gonzo33

Donation made, I hope it helps.

MsFifers wrote: »
    Hi - just made a donation.

I can help with driving food if necessary from Kilkenny/Carlow area. Carlow Volunteer Centre can be a depot for food if you can get anyone to organise the publicity for it in this area.

I may have someone there will give you a shout on it tomorrow, I meet her on the weekend and she is thinking about adopting the collie from me she may be able to help organize it too. Fingers crossed.

And thank you very much.

Beth wrote: »
    I actually didnt know this when Pet Expo were in Cork. I assumed they had set aside X amount of space for rescues and volunteer organisations :mad:

No I have inside info on this and I think they were going to try to charge them 3grand at one stage, meanies:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Oh dear I am so sorry to hear this, they do such trojan work for the animals in this country.

Not much i can do financially bar get a few bags of food with the shopping and you can use my home as a drop zone, i am based northside of Dublin if thats any help?

Trinity1 wrote: »
    Oh dear I am so sorry to hear this, they do such trojan work for the animals in this country.

Not much i can do financially bar get a few bags of food with the shopping and you can use my home as a drop zone, i am based northside of Dublin if thats any help?

Thank you so much I will keep you in mind, is there any major s.c. over there that you think would be good to do the food drive in ? I haven't live north side for many years now so I'm behind in whats new there.

Ok I'm going to set a date for this food drive to go ahead for next Thur. Fri. and just jump into it and hope all go's well, I'm so gratefull for all your help as is Ash that asked me to to thank you's and hopefully those still to come a very very big thank you indeed.

Mean while I hope to carry out the rehoming drive until then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Thank you so much I will keep you in mind, is there any major s.c. over there that you think would be good to do the food drive in ? I haven't live north side for many years now so I'm behind in whats new there.

Omni park
    Northside
    Clarehall
    Pavillions

Only ones i can think of! Pics of puppies always pull at the heart strings i dont think a lot of people are aware of whats going on in this country. I lost a foster on sunday and i am devastated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭XxlauraxX

artane
    donmaghmede
    thats all i can think of glad to hear all the support:)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭-aboutagirl-

Made a small donation, hope it helps.

How do you do a Food Drive? I'd be happy to help if I knew what was involved :D

I'm across from Dundrum S.C so I'll help out here ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

I have 4 10kg bags of Red Mills cat food that are slightly out of date that they can have.

They need to be got from Meath though.

Is there anyone in the Meath area that might be able to get these closer to where they would be needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Could you contact the local national schools?

I did a food drive for (Tipperary) Cottage Rescue where every child in the school was asked to bring in one item for dogs/cats etc. It was a small school but it was very sucessful, all you have to do is get permission from the principle and they just send out a note to the parents (you supply them with a little info on the rescue) and they organise a day or two where kids bring in their item. Hope to do another one this year they have a new principle but hopefully she'll be all for it.

The school had just over 70 pupils but many people brought in more than one item, so there was loads and loads of food and other items as well.
    It doesn't break the bank for parents as they are always being asked for money for this and that, it could be they have a pet at home and can donate a tin or bag of dog food or donate an old blanket etc. it all adds up.
    Trick is to not put any pressure on the school say to the principle that although they need food now anytime to do the drive will be fine whenever the school has the time. All you have to do then is just to thank the pupils, perhaps send a little note through the school to the parents and take the items straight to the rescue.

It's very simple and very effective and the kids love to help.

There are 3 rescues in our vicinity in Tipperary and yet there are ASH donation buckets in our local Dunnes and other places there is a man that aparently does it to raise funds for the cats at ASH so perhaps contact him and other people like that and see if they can help.

HTH

I would go for the food drive it helps to educate kids and parents as well and to be made aware that there is a rescue in their local area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

I've just made a donation to the account on line.

Trinity1 wrote: »
    Omni park
    Northside
    Clarehall
    Pavillions

Only ones i can think of! Pics of puppies always pull at the heart strings i dont think a lot of people are aware of whats going on in this country. I lost a foster on sunday and i am devastated.

I'm so sorry to hear that, it doesn't hurt any less than if you had them for a life time, I hope this experience will not put you of fostering in the future.

Thank you for your replies.

Glowing wrote: »
    How do you do a Food Drive? I'd be happy to help if I knew what was involved :D

I'm across from Dundrum S.C so I'll help out here ...

First of all you have to find shops or shopping centre's to allow you to do it on there premise, then you need to get posters up in the area, round the car park and in shop windows leading to you's, from there you sit and wait and hope it rolls in, people will ask about the charity so it's good to have a read up on them so you can answer their questions and most of all just to thank them for there donation, then transport is needed to get it there.

I am contacting all the head office's for Tesco, Dunne's etc. tomorrow and hopefully we will get the go ahead in the stores we want to run it from. Because this is going to be done in a few parts of the country it's easier to send the proof and insurance details to head office any way, I do how ever have to rely on good will, and that I can keep people who are going to try and con there way in I need to speak to everyone personally and make sure the stores are made aware of the shops that I say are the only one's being used.

So I hope to come back with some good news tomorrow.

Could you contact the local national schools?

I did a food drive for (Tipperary) Cottage Rescue where every child in the school was asked to bring in one item for dogs/cats etc. It was a small school but it was very sucessful, all you have to do is get permission from the principle and they just send out a note to the parents (you supply them with a little info on the rescue) and they organise a day or two where kids bring in their item. Hope to do another one this year they have a new principle but hopefully she'll be all for it.

The school had just over 70 pupils but many people brought in more than one item, so there was loads and loads of food and other items as well.
    It doesn't break the bank for parents as they are always being asked for money for this and that, it could be they have a pet at home and can donate a tin or bag of dog food or donate an old blanket etc. it all adds up.
    Trick is to not put any pressure on the school say to the principle that although they need food now anytime to do the drive will be fine whenever the school has the time. All you have to do then is just to thank the pupils, perhaps send a little note through the school to the parents and take the items straight to the rescue.

It's very simple and very effective and the kids love to help.

There are 3 rescues in our vicinity in Tipperary and yet there are ASH donation buckets in our local Dunnes and other places there is a man that aparently does it to raise funds for the cats at ASH so perhaps contact him and other people like that and see if they can help.

HTH

I would go for the food drive it helps to educate kids and parents as well and to be made aware that there is a rescue in their local area.

At present I am waiting on the go ahead from my kids school to bring in 2euro for their logo bug and a no uniform day, problem were I live is that many of the schools in the area support the same charities every year for animal week so I have to start reaching out a little further the second problem is I'm the only one doing the organisation at the minute so it's taking me time to get around to every thing, but I might think about asking them if they would like to choose what they would like to do, I don't mind bringing them in some pets for the kids to meet as well as the pet detective is also helping from another angle and I know he would bring in the sniffer dogs for them to meet.

The worst part of it all is sitting around waiting on people to get back to me so I can put things in to action. I just have to rely on the good will of others to help out too. I just hope it all comes together in the end.

I have 4 10kg bags of Red Mills cat food that are slightly out of date that they can have.

They need to be got from Meath though.

Is there anyone in the Meath area that might be able to get these closer to where they would be needed?

Thats great everything helps, it might take a few days to get some one to you but I will so hold on to it till than, please don't worry about the sell by date there just there by law and not even close to accurate, dry food last for ages.

Thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

I've no doubt that Ash do great work and I realise they are straped for cash, time and volunteers but I have a slight concern regarding them. A few months ago some relatives of mine visited ASH to have a look at the dogs and possibly reserve one. They fell in love with one of the dogs and were allowed to take her home that day, with no homecheck. This really worries me as often people are not what they seem or may not even have a secure garden etc. Luckily, my relatives are lovely people and the dog is getting on great but it could easily have been a disaster. Home checks and vetting of potential adopters is vital to ensure that it is the correct home for the dog and this in turn should lessen the likelihood of the dog ending up back in rescue. Its a no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Can anyone confirm if this was just a once off or if ASH do not in fact homecheck? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

Vel wrote: »
    I've no doubt that Ash do great work and I realise they are straped for cash, time and volunteers but I have a slight concern regarding them. A few months ago some relatives of mine visited ASH to have a look at the dogs and possibly reserve one. They fell in love with one of the dogs and were allowed to take her home that day, with no homecheck. This really worries me as often people are not what they seem or may not even have a secure garden etc. Luckily, my relatives are lovely people and the dog is getting on great but it could easily have been a disaster. Home checks and vetting of potential adopters is vital to ensure that it is the correct home for the dog and this in turn should lessen the likelihood of the dog ending up back in rescue. Its a no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Can anyone confirm if this was just a once off or if ASH do not in fact homecheck? Thanks

I got my dog from Ash, no homecheck but they didn't let me bring him home that day. I assured them that the first thing I'd be doing is getting him neutered but their policy was to get him neutered before I take him, and wouldn't be persuaded otherwise, so they're good in that respect. They did ask me a lot of questions about what it's like at home, how many people, garden size, work hours etc. They also told me they may be out for a home check soon but never contacted me. To be fair, I very much doubt that they have the time to do homechecks on every dog. They probably just check the ones where they feel their questions weren'y answered properly.

• Advertisement

Vel wrote: »

They do have a home check policy for before or after you adopt as wella s a return policy if things don't work out.

The biggest problem is getting volunteers to do these home checks, so it's not always possible to check them all, by asking all the questions they have a fare idea of who best to check up on and who they think will be fine without one, it's not ideal but what can they do ???

I'll try to get them on boards to answer your question as I don't know the answer to them 100%. I'll give them a ring tomorrow and ask, you can also find a run down of their policies on their web page.

http://www.ashanimalrescue.com

Advertisement