Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moped Insurance

• 11-04-2008 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Looking to get a moped, and was checking out insurance. Was surprised by how high my quinn-direct quote was. I will be driving it for only a short while hopefully on a provisional, Im a 27 year old male and this will be my first moped insurance. I was quoted €580 which is only just over €100 less than my second year renewal with Quinn on a 1.4 car.
    Just wondering if this is the norm, or if anyone has any suggestions where to look for a cheaper quote?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Insurance on 2 wheels is not cheap, contrary to popular belief. suck it up and build up a NCB cos your car one does not transfer. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Agree its very expensive for the first few years. Make sure to phone Aon as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Boo to that..
    My girlfriend who is also on a provisional aswell got her insurance for 330. A 250 difference just cos Im a guy it seems seems bit steep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I have mine insured through Axa have car as well - have a couple of years no claim- just got quote €59 3rd party - €155 fully comp- used to €800 so maybe an option if move car!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

mise wrote: »
    Boo to that..
    My girlfriend who is also on a provisional aswell got her insurance for 330. A 250 difference just cos Im a guy it seems seems bit steep

Unfortunately that's just the way it is. Blokes will always get a higher quote.

Your first year will always be high, second year will be less than 1/2 of what you got quoted for your first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

From what I've read on other forums, AON will give a discount for person who also has car insurance, regardless of insurance company.

As others have said, bike insurance costs are high but that is an unfortunate fact of life here. Ways to reduce it quickly are to get training, pass your test. AON have set discounts when you do an assess ride. Basically a provisional licence means 30% loading. So if you pass your test in first insured year, you should be looking at insurance of approx 400 if no claims. *** This is a guess on my part: 580 premium = 130% of full licence holder premium and after one year 10% NCB applied.

Thanks for all the replies, Im going to give AON a call today. Fingers crossed itll be a bit less than Quinn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Got a new quote for my bike. There are crazy differences in price so shop around. The highest quote was ten times higher than the lowest quote for the same cover.

@Pidgeon

Where did you shop around? Ive checked Carole Nash and Quinn, gonna try AON today. Are there any others?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Adelaide is the other big one. www.bikequoteme.com is the site. If you have a full licence and bigger engine the prices seem to vary more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭Alkers

I'm 21 and my Quinn Direct Quote was around €580 so yours should be lower with them...

Advertisement