Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sat NAV - garmin-zumo-550

Options
  • 21-09-2007 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever used one of these?
    http://www.mysatnav.ie/garmin-zumo-550

Bluetooth Kits for Helmets
    A number of customer's have spoken very postively about the Cardo Scala Rider headsets as they seem one of the easiet to attach to your helmet and pair with the zūmo.

Cardo Scala Rider headsets - anyone tried them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

The lads over on Biker.ie have good things to say about the Zumo 550. Do a search and read the old threads. They are a bit pricey but seem to be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭worded

Theres a new map version out in in January I hear, but if you dont register till then you get the free map upgrade.

They have dropped in price by 10 - 20% in the last year and are now within financial reach at last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I got the Zumo 550 recently (check earlier thread). The mounting bracket that comes with it is poor, mine broke without much force, it is also an easy target tor someone to rip off your mounting unit, €120+ i believe. I ended up making up a stainless steel back plate and bolting it on to the head set T piece (Honda Bros).

I also found the map will not "drag" on touch screen, Im not sure if this is a software problem. Apart from this I find the unit excellent for the bike (and Van).

I havnt RTFM yet - but was in a great rush yesterday and couldnt figure it out. Kept guiding me between two fixed map points versus between where I was and the destination I had entered. Ive yet to use the brackets - will report back when I do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

I also found the map will not "drag" on touch screen, Im not sure if this is a software problem..

Mine does.
    I think if you tap the screen (like double click) you can drag then...

• Advertisement

Ah ok, will try that later. Thanks.

The Doktor wrote:
    Mine does.
    I think if you tap the screen (like double click) you can drag then...
    My screen dose not drag even if you tap the screen, its going back, got it from a Dublin supplier.

Reporting back ......

Garmin Zumo 550 - Great product but i stored it somewhere really good ....... (cant remoember where) dooooooooooooh

Oh lordy Ive searched everyehere ......

Have to buy another from www.mysatnav.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

worded wrote: »
    Anyone ever used one of these?

Bluetooth Kits for Helmets
    A number of customer's have spoken very postively about the Cardo Scala Rider headsets as they seem one of the easiet to attach to your helmet and pair with the zūmo.

Cardo Scala Rider headsets - anyone tried them?

Don't know about the Garmin but the scala headsets are great. If you're looking for both, consider a TomTom Rider, comes with a scala in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

I got the Garmin zumo 550 there about 2 months back, great piece of kit.

You can pair your phone with it too - and it shows the caller ID onscreen.

The music player is pretty decent too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Just a word of warning guys if you are going to buy a satnav. Stay away from Irish retailers. They charge crazy prices.

Take the Zumo 550 for example:

Price: €559

http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod3232.html
    Price £389.99 ( €487 )

That's 70 euro in the difference. Even with shipping costs, you still save money. I've yet to find an Irish GPS retailer that is cheaper than other foreign retailers.

Personally, I use the old Garmin Quest II which works very well. Waterproof and shockproof which is great for biking. I think I paid about €220 in total for it, and that included mounting bracket etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭inmate2

Hi,

Thinking of buying the TomTom RIDER Europe 2ND edition NEW any advice welcome mistake or not thanks.

Just a word of warning guys if you are going to buy a satnav. Stay away from Irish retailers. They charge crazy prices.

Take the Zumo 550 for example:

Price: €559

http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod3232.html
    Price £389.99 ( €487 )

That's 70 euro in the difference. Even with shipping costs, you still save money. I've yet to find an Irish GPS retailer that is cheaper than other foreign retailers.

Personally, I use the old Garmin Quest II which works very well. Waterproof and shockproof which is great for biking. I think I paid about €220 in total for it, and that included mounting bracket etc.
    I bought mine in Ireland and am glad of it. The brass pick up contacts on 550 bike mount are pathetic, several pins siezed and broke off after 4 months of winter use and I went straight back to where I bought it i.e. MySatNav Ireland in Sandyford and got a brand new replacement mount without question. If I had bought this in the UK or abroad over the net I would have lost out on insured postage which is not covered.

Advertisement