Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line Rental a barrier to DSL takeup

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

one big problem is the time it takes to port the phone no. across.
    Big time. Was looking at Digiweb's Metro offering lately. It seems you need to be a Metro subscriber for at least two months and then cancel DSL on the landline. All this while you wait how many weeks to have the number ported and without broadband. On one page, it said it's €50. On another page on the Digiweb site, it said €55. Anyway, it's most discouraging to any considering changing service providers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Solair wrote:
    Wireless services are all very well for broadband but, so far I don't think digiweb's services are an adequate replacement for a landline. I have heard plenty of people complaining about latency etc, coming across as delays and echoes on calls.

At least with cable infrastructure, that can be eliminated if it's done right.
    I've always had good quality calls when the system works. The problem for me was that on a number of occasions the line was dead even though the broadband worked perfectly. I think the problem is that the telephone services are not managed properly within Digiweb. Same would be the case on cable.

I use blueface now. I notice a subtle lag on calls but I like having the number in my control which I can switch between broadband providers. I also like the the fact that I don't have to dial an area code to dial a number in the same area.

I think the basic problem with Metro and the reason it may not pose much of a threat to Eircom is the fact that it requires an external antenna on your house.

With UPC and cable broadband, I would like to believe that they are going to upgrade everyone to full two-way broadband but I have been listening to cable companies say this since 2000. What happens is they do some upgrading, make a big noise about it and then stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Eircom charge the €50 or whatever it is. You can apply for porting same time you order (You might have to pay for year in advance, but that saves install costs possibly). If you wanted to keep DSL too you would need either LLU or another number (eircom issues).

It doen't affect your Metro and there is a facility to keep the original metro number as well as the ported eircom number and effectively have "two lines". I have my fax on the original Metro Number, we use it with DECT handset for outgoing calls. The other pair of DECT handsets are on the "eircom number".

So if you have Metro, it does not leave you without BB to port number.

Porting a mobile number is quick. It only took 24hrs because I bought the new phone on a bank holiday. The pre-paid credit on the old SIM seems unredeemable unless anyone knows different.

If you have CPS, then porting will fail, and eircom may not tell Digiweb/UPC/Blueface/Smart why.

If the name & address is not identical down to punctuation as the eircom, bill/account, then eircom fail it.

I think the number porting has improved, (You used to be only able to get about 12 a day or a week or something), but it's still silly compared with Mobile. Down to Comreg & eircom.

I'm not involved with Operations or Sales so I'm only speaking from my own experience 18 Months ago.

Advertisement