Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Instruments Forum Off-Topic Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I've been wanting a Sadowsky bass so bad recently... No chance of me affording it any time soon so to sate my need I've just ordered a John East Retro preamp and a pair of Nordstrand 70s wind pickups to install in my Geddy Lee Jazz. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

New Ibanez BTB single-cut on the way.... thoughts?
    I'm a little on the fence. It's quirky! But a lot nicer than some other singlecuts I've seen.
    Supposedly, Ibanez have also stopped production of 4-string BTBs as they weren't popular.

bpl2013-01.jpg

bpl2013-02.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Bought a mexican tele on an complete whim today........ Her indoors is going to kill me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Elbow wrote: »
    Bought a mexican tele on an complete whim today........ Her indoors is going to kill me :o

I did that with a Fender Modern Player Marauder during the summer. Still haven't told her about it. It's the same colour as my Tele (LPB), so she doesn't notice the difference, but I can't have the two in the room at the same time.

I'll get around to telling her some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

I replaced a JHS vintage icon with a Gibson studio tribute & she never copped it
    I plan on replacing a cheap Squier tele shortly as well ;0)

• Advertisement

Disaster! My pickups and preamp arrived today and they (the preamp) dont fit in my bloody control cavity!

Might have to take it to a Luthier to get a little bit of routing done :(

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

I picked up a PRS se Tremonti Custom recently in a trade and today is the first chance I've had to really put it through it's paces
    I was expecting a good guitar but this thing is amazing. I really cant get over how well built it is & how good the se pickups sound especially the neck pickup,
    I was planning to change them for duncans but I don't think Ill bother.
    Might put in alnico 2 magnets & do 50s wiring with pio caps.
    Ive had a few of the newer lower priced Gibson's recently but this puts them to shame & that comes from a Les Paul freak.

So I've no outfitted my Geddy Lee Jazz bass with Nordstrand 70s pickups and a John East Jretro preamp.

Absolutely floored by the sound of it now!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Cool basses. Is yours a MIJ or MIM version? Is there much difference between them?

Mines a Japanese one from 2006 or so. I don't know how the MIM's differ, never had a chance to play one.

• Advertisement

I've been a naughty boy...

I may have just purchased another bass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

It happens to us all, dont sweat it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

What did you get?

Kind of tempted to sell something from my collection just to fund a different guitar but I'm really happy with my lineup. I can't think of any reason to sell any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

on the subject of basses

anyone ever heard of or used one of these thingies?

http://hazeguitars.com/blog/

I thought i had seen it all but apparently not :-)

Ravelleman wrote: »
    What did you get?

Kind of tempted to sell something from my collection just to fund a different guitar but I'm really happy with my lineup. I can't think of any reason to sell any of them.

It's a Valenti Jazz. Will post pics when it arrives!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dyeti

Does anyone just pick up loads of instruments but never commits to them? I just bought a piano accordion after like a YEAR of wanting to get one, yet the past few days I've been really into listening to uilleann pipes and watching videos of bagpipers and uilleann pipers and I kind of regret not getting one...

This is about the 7th instrument I've bought, and I've ever only gotten good at one of them and that was the bass guitar and a little bit of piano and even that was about 4 years ago... I think I have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I bought a harmonica last year, I was playing a lot of folk at the time. It now lives in my drawer.
    Pricey enough too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

dyeti wrote: »
    Does anyone just pick up loads of instruments but never commits to them? I just bought a piano accordion after like a YEAR of wanting to get one, yet the past few days I've been really into listening to uilleann pipes and watching videos of bagpipers and uilleann pipers and I kind of regret not getting one...

This is about the 7th instrument I've bought, and I've ever only gotten good at one of them and that was the bass guitar and a little bit of piano and even that was about 4 years ago... I think I have a problem.

Aye, was really tempted to buy a Ukelele and had one identified and was ready to purchase it but kinda thought "This is going to be a dust collector more than anything". I already have a variety of instruments that don't get as much attention as they should but at least they're taken care of and I can grab them any time I want to have an aul noodle. And as long as you're storing them properly at least you have some great distractions when you get some down time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

So I started rearranging my pedalboard lastnight. I want to be able to have a 'clean' bank of pedals and a 'dirt' bank, and be able to switch between the two with an A/B pedal.
    As my Boss tuner has two outputs I set up like this:

________________--- Clean --
    Guitar---Tuner--<
    A/B
    Amp
    ________________---Dirt

Of course the tuner only mutes one output, which makes it a pain for muting/tuning.
    Would there be any issue in making up a simple Y patch cable or am i better off building a mute pedal?

My A/B pedal has a BOTH switch, which I won't be using in this scenario, so I could mod it to a Mute switch.

Do we have a place for Youtube vids here? If not hopefully this thread is okay to post in.

This is my cover of a Rush song using my Rick, love this bass!

• Advertisement

Nice cover, man.
    Here's an older one of mine with my Custom Strat and my old SuperSonic 60.

Sold the amp as it wasn't getting the use it deserved... And now I seem to be playing with bands again. Typical.

That Ric is absolutely sexual, I must say. Bravo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Yeah, it's a stunner alright. Good song choice too!

John Petrucci's new signature MusicMan Majesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Passenger wrote: »
    John Petrucci's new signature MusicMan Majesty.

hideous looking thing!

punchdrunk wrote: »
    hideous looking thing!

Well he got the guitar that he wanted to facilitate his particular style of playing so he's happy. The Black "Carbon Fiber" shield kinda detracts from the overall design. You'd imagine that it plays pretty good though.

Like all MusicMan guitars, I'd say it plays beautifully, unfortunately it's taken on the ugliness from it's predecessors.

I love to play their stuff, just can't bring myself to buy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Zapp, what do you think of the new Geddy signature? :pac:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_ltd_geddy_lee_1972_jazz_bass.htm

• Advertisement

Dord wrote: »
    Zapp, what do you think of the new Geddy signature? :pac:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_ltd_geddy_lee_1972_jazz_bass.htm

Big thread over on Talkbass about it. I could never afford something like that myself, but if I did have the money I'd probably buy it. Apparently it has custom electronics in it and is light as a feather though.

Advertisement