Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-07-2012, 00:18   #1
Mo60

Apple/Plum Trees Lack of Fruit

Was out in garden yesterday checking my fruit trees and found hardly any fruit on my trees. I have two Bramley apple trees which had no fruit at all and my Victoria plum tree had the grand total of one plumb.

Has anyone else the same problem with lack of fruit?
Advertisement
18-07-2012, 09:22   #2
planetX
Closed Account

yep, same here - I think one tree has one apple. Currently flowers on pear and plum in a relatives garden, in mid-July! Everything's messed up this year.
18-07-2012, 09:30   #3
fepper

all my apples trees have apples growing well at this stage,trees with good shelter seem to have the best crop
18-07-2012, 11:35   #4
km79

I planted four 5 foot apple trees bare root this spring. Should I be expecting any fruit this year ?
18-07-2012, 12:37   #5
Degsy
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Degsy
Hve dozens of p;ums at the moment but most of them seem to have some sort of scaly flaw on the..wondering will i get any usuable fruit.

Apple tree is a complete disaster,one apple this year,six or so last year and about 40 the previous season...mauybe i should be pruning it?
Advertisement
18-07-2012, 13:05   #6
Morag

I'd be asking how many bees and butterflies have ye seen this year in the garden.
Not enough sunlight effects the trees and bugger all insects about means what flowers there are don't get pollinated.
(2) thanks from:
18-07-2012, 13:16   #7
Mo60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharrow View Post
I'd be asking how many bees and butterflies have ye seen this year in the garden.
Not enough sunlight effects the trees and bugger all insects about means what flowers there are don't get pollinated.
Actually your post has made me realise I have not seen any bees and not many butterflies this year in the garden. Normally the bees would be busy attacking my fruit by now.

I have always had fruit in the past and the trees flowered this year, so I think what you said about pollination must be the reason in my case.
18-07-2012, 13:19   #8
bbam
Banned

Lots of fruit trees got caught with late frosts which damaged the buds/flowers. This kills off the fruit yield, it explains why sheltered trees probably faired better.
18-07-2012, 14:21   #9
mitosis

My Pear is fruiting well. My cherry has a poor crop and the ones left are splitting (as are my (late) strawberries). Of my two apple trees, one has shed all its fruit in the last two months, the other shed about half.

The splitting this I think is due to periods of heavy rain.
Advertisement
18-07-2012, 15:31   #10
lucylu

I have 10 apple and 2 pear trees all fruitless
They were in full bloom and the night of the Super moon May 5th, all the blossoms were all killed.
As for bees if garden is full of dandelions, honey bees will go for them before apples trees as they are nectar hungry..
18-07-2012, 15:37   #11
planetX
Closed Account

Has anyone ever heard of pear and plum flowering in July though? They're not new trees, and have fruited in past years. It's weird.
18-07-2012, 15:42   #12
johndoe99

you can pollinate them yourself with a cotton bud, transfer the pollen from one flower to another, been doing this for several years with great success, you can't rely on the bees with the crap weather we've been having past few years.
Thanks from:
18-07-2012, 15:45   #13
Mo60

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucylu View Post
As for bees if garden is full of dandelions, honey bees will go for them before apples trees as they are nectar hungry..
No dandelions in this garden. My OH's idea of gardening is to sit on ride-on lawnmower, with little Yorkshire Terrier on lap for the ride.This being his sole contribution to any gardening that needs doing.
18-07-2012, 17:41   #14
Oldtree

father in laws plum doing fab loads of fruit, sheltered.

My apples not doing as well as previous years, sheltered, pruned mostly correctly. Lots of flowers and pollinators earlier in the year. Fruit just didnt form possible from very late frost damage.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion