Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can I visit different gp on medical card

• 20-12-2010 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Im in a different part of the country to where my health board is. Can I visit a GP registered on the medical card scheme here?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Moving to another area

If you move to a new Health Service Executive (HSE) Administrative Area, you must re-apply for a new medical card with a new doctor's acceptance form. The existing medical card remains valid for three months. To use your medical card during those three months, you should make arrangements with the Local Health Office in the new area.

How to apply

Apply to your Local Health Office for a medical card. They will give you a list of doctors who are part of the GMS scheme.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/gp_services/gp_services_to_medical_card_holders.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

in short no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭marti8

In short, yes. If you are in a different part of the country until you have moved to a new GP you CAN see any GP on the med card scheme - they fill in a special form and are still paid.

marti8 wrote: »
    In short, yes. If you are in a different part of the country until you have moved to a new GP you CAN see any GP on the med card scheme - they fill in a special form and are still paid.
    that special form your talking about ,does it not have to be obtained and filled out by his current doctor.

almanu wrote: »
    that special form your talking about ,does it not have to be obtained and filled out by his current doctor.

Nope, not as far as I know. For example if someone is say on holiday in Donegal but their GMS GP is in Cork, they can see a GP in Donegal if they need to. As far as I know it is also the same if you move from one part of the country to another - until you have sorted out a new doctor in the new area you've moved to. It is the doc you see who fills in that form not your "original" doctor.

• Advertisement

Nope, not as far as I know. For example if someone is say on holiday in Donegal but their GMS GP is in Cork, they can see a GP in Donegal if they need to. As far as I know it is also the same if you move from one part of the country to another - until you have sorted out a new doctor in the new area you've moved to. It is the doc you see who fills in that form not your "original" doctor.

oh ok ,i remember a few years ago i was living in limerick for a few months and done my tendons in playing footy, i had awful trouble with a doctor i saw down there , i just ended up traveling back to dublin .they must have changed things from then, sorry if i misled the OP as i was just going from past experience .

almanu wrote: »
    oh ok ,i remember a few years ago i was living in limerick for a few months and done my tendons in playing footy, i had awful trouble with a doctor i saw down there , i just ended up traveling back to dublin .they must have changed things from then, sorry if i misled the OP as i was just going from past experience .

You didn't intentionally mislead anyone, don't worry bout it. Sounds like the GP you came across simply didn't like the idea of having to fill in and send off the relevant form. If you ever come across a doc like that again just look around for a different doctor.

You didn't intentionally mislead anyone, don't worry bout it. Sounds like the GP you came across simply didn't like the idea of having to fill in and send off the relevant form. If you ever come across a doc like that again just look around for a different doctor.

i did go to two doctors and they both were not too helpfull, in fairness could of been the dublin accent lol.

Advertisement