Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Favourite places in Offaly

Options
  • 24-03-2009 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hello there,

I wonder would anybody be interested in having a look at this.

I'm preparing for a documentary that may be based in the fine county of Offaly.

I'm aiming to use a slightly different approach on a 'travel' documentary and was looking to take a more 'experimental' approach.

I wanted some people, natives of Offaly, to suggest their 10 favourite places in the county.

Obviously I'd like these to be as unique/unusual as possible, rather than the obvious places.

Ideas would be: little known about restaurants/bars/clubs, favourite places to walk, meet friends, places that hold a certain significance for you etc...

You can be as vague/descriptive/personal as you like and you can leave a post here, PM me or send an email (on request).

Many Thanks in advance,
    Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Venntertainment

Any thoughts on this at all!?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

There is the Parachuting Club in Clonbullogue that wouldn't be a bad spot to highlight.

Wow!

That looks pretty cool, thanks a mill...

You wouldn't have a try at some more locations per chance? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I suggest you take the N62 and drive south from Athlone to Birr on a fine sunny day like I did yesterday. It's a really bumpy, quaint and charming bog road, and it passes through some beautiful landscape. I loved it (though I'm sure I wouldn't if I had to drive it everyday!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

There's Clara Bog near Clara which is well known, but the other side of Clara town is Kilmaleady/Woodfield bog not as well known but which famously moved in 1821. It was known as the Moving Bog and was said at the time to be the wettest bog in the country. It can be viewed in it's entirety from the road at Aughamore which is atop part of the Eiscir Riada, I stand to be corrected of course. Good luck with the guide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Around Kinnitty and Cadamstown can be really beautiful - walking up the Slieve Blooms to the Glendine Gap or to he Silver River in Cadamastown

There is also the Pyramid in Kinnitty, thats pretty weird!! - link

Link to info on the area and the annual Slieve Bloom Festivals

Clonmacnoise of course...

Ballyboy is a georgous little village too with a Thacted pub - Dan & Mollies - great Guinness :D Its really quaint, so could be worth checking out too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Tullamore Castle would be a good one, probably not too well known with tourists (only locals).

[edit] what am I saying??? Charleville castle :D

Wow, there's some great stuff here!

Thanks a mill to everyone that's replied so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

Saruman wrote: »
    Tullamore Castle would be a good one, probably not too well known with tourists (only locals).

Tullamore castle?? where is this? Is that the one you see from the railway??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Also, down around Banagher and Shannon Brigde is really beautiful and if you want an atmospheric old pub, it would be hard to beat Haughs in Banagher :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I meant Charleville... brain must have been melted.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

Saruman wrote: »
    I meant Charleville... brain must have been melted.

Ah i was wondering as there is the other one, Sragh Castle, its just a ruins, but you can see it from the railway, its nice looking on a nice summers day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

Jugs82 wrote: »
    Also, down around Banagher and Shannon Brigde is really beautiful and if you want an atmospheric old pub, it would be hard to beat Haughs in Banagher :D

On a summer's day Victoria Lock near Lusmagh is quiet enchanting, which reminds me of the Bronte connection with Banagher. The last time I saw the word enchanting it was in a book:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Durrow Abbey,no access to tourists tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Cycalogic

I think Durrow, the back roads especially are beautiful.
    Cadamstown, and that river, is beautiful.
    The roads around croghan hill, that forest.
    Wood of O' bog/forest is pretty when its dry, and you can walk through it. I'm not sure if random people are allowed in through it though. In fact, if you walk down far enough, youre just completely surrounded by bog and its very relaxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭brosna

Here's my list:

Lough Boora Parklands: Simply the best: (Good bless Bord Na Mona). The sculptures, the fresh air, the birds, birdwatching, lakes, picnic areas, the ducks and THE QUIET. Maybe not so quiet if the Midland
    http://www.loughbooraparklands.com/virtualboora3.html

Cloghan Lake and the many different types of pheasants that they breed. Never realised there were so many different wonderful coloured pheasants.

Clonmacnoise (Already mentioned): Sitting on the wall under the Round Tower, with the sun on the Shannon, looking back down the river towards Shannonbridge and imagining what it must have been like when those hundreds of years ago a lookout spotted the Viking ships on the river. Into tower, pull up ladder, boiling oil (at least these were the stores I was taught in school). It's my favourite imagination story for my kids.

A walk on any of the bogs

Larry's Oldtime Village in Belmont: Fabulous Minature Village with many thatched cottages, stone walls, etc. Also a display of local photos.
    http://www.discoverireland.com/gb/ireland-things-to-see-and-do/listings/gss/product/?fid=FI_12125

The Grand Canal: A walk along the banks of the Grand Canal. Pick any bank and head out of town. The peace, quiet, tranquility.

Shannonharbour: Where the Grand Canal meets the Shannon. Possibly one of the strangest little villages in Ireland. Lots of boats parked up for the winter, comes alive from Easter on. Have a great annual regatta day.

Hennessys thatched pub in Ferbane;

As you can see - I'm a bit biased towards West Offaly.

Advertisement