Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

125cc Scooter - License Question

• 07-04-2008 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi, Apologies if this has been posted before but I can't find the correct information.

I have a Vespa PX 125 cc Scooter and I have a provisional license. I would like to apply for the test and get a full license. If I get a full license for this scooter will this allow me to ride a motorbike if I decide to upgrade to a motorbike in a year or so? Or will it allow me to ride a scooter with a larger engine?

Any help apreciated.

RR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

You don't say what provisional licence you hold. You only need A1 for the scooter based on the engine size. If you check the vehicle documents, you'll probably find the scooter's actual engine size is less than 125cc. So even if you had an A provisional, you could only be awarded a certificate of competency for an A1 vehicle class. The cert is what you get when you pass the test and then submit with money, docs, etc. to get the actual licence.

So if you want to ride a larger scooter in future, you'll need to sit a test on a larger CC machine.

One other thing to bear in mind, scooter has automatic transmission. I believe you won't be able to ride a regular manual geared bike. This is the situation for cars / B licence anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭RebelRebel

a_ominous wrote: »
    You don't say what provisional licence you hold. You only need A1 for the scooter based on the engine size. If you check the vehicle documents, you'll probably find the scooter's actual engine size is less than 125cc. So even if you had an A provisional, you could only be awarded a certificate of competency for an A1 vehicle class. The cert is what you get when you pass the test and then submit with money, docs, etc. to get the actual licence.

So if you want to ride a larger scooter in future, you'll need to sit a test on a larger CC machine.

One other thing to bear in mind, scooter has automatic transmission. I believe you won't be able to ride a regular manual geared bike. This is the situation for cars / B licence anyhow.

Thanks a Ominous. I just checked my licence and it has A1 and A (<= 25KW 0.16kW/Kg). Not entirely sure what that means!

The vespa I have isn't automatic. It has 4 gears but they are on the left handlebar as opposed to a foot pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

RebelRebel wrote: »
    Thanks a Ominous. I just checked my licence and it has A1 and A (<= 25KW 0.16kW/Kg). Not entirely sure what that means!

The vespa I have isn't automatic. It has 4 gears but they are on the left handlebar as opposed to a foot pedal.

You'll still need a bigger machine to get the A license, otherwise you'll have to say at 125 level or sit the test again.

Your best option would be to get some lessons from a good instructore and hire a bike from them for the test.

colm_c wrote: »
    You'll still need a bigger machine to get the A license, otherwise you'll have to say at 125 level or sit the test again.

Your best option would be to get some lessons from a good instructore and hire a bike from them for the test.

Thanks for that Colm C.
    That would be a sensible option. I do plan to get lessons anyway. If however I upgraded my scooter to a 200 cc (vespa PX 200) which i've been thinking of doing. Could I do my test on that and would that allow me to get a larger Bike down the line?

Thanks for that Colm C.
    That would be a sensible option. I do plan to get lessons anyway. If however I upgraded my scooter to a 200 cc (vespa PX 200) which i've been thinking of doing. Could I do my test on that and would that allow me to get a larger Bike down the line?

If the bike is fully manual - has gears and a clutch then you should be fine, but if it's clutchless (even with gears) then you'll be limited to automatic bikes.

Although I've heard of people getting a full A even though they did their test on an automatic - the tester just made a mistake.

• Advertisement

colm_c wrote: »
    If the bike is fully manual - has gears and a clutch then you should be fine, but if it's clutchless (even with gears) then you'll be limited to automatic bikes.

Although I've heard of people getting a full A even though they did their test on an automatic - the tester just made a mistake.

Nice one Colm,

Yea its fully Manual. Clutch and 4 gears. That might be the best option as i'd be familiar with riding that style of scooter. As opposed to a bike. I wouldn't be used to the foot gears. Thanks for the reply.

RR

Nice one Colm,

Yea its fully Manual. Clutch and 4 gears. That might be the best option as i'd be familiar with riding that style of scooter. As opposed to a bike. I wouldn't be used to the foot gears. Thanks for the reply.

RR

Just double check with your instructor before the test!

Seems this is a bit more complicated.

Just called my insurance company to price insurance on a PX200 (200c scooter).

I put the question to them and they said that they were under the impression that there was a difference between the license for a moped (regardless of cc) and a motorbike because of the gears on a bike are on a footpedal as opposed to on the handlebars which is the case on a scooter.

They couldn't confirm this however so i'm still searching for a definitive answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Seems this is a bit more complicated.

Just called my insurance company to price insurance on a PX200 (200c scooter).

I put the question to them and they said that they were under the impression that there was a difference between the license for a moped (regardless of cc) and a motorbike because of the gears on a bike are on a footpedal as opposed to on the handlebars which is the case on a scooter.

They couldn't confirm this however so i'm still searching for a definitive answer!

Well seeing as a moped by law is restricted to less the 50cc and less the 45km/h, yes there is a different licence. What you have is a bike licence and are driving a scooter. Call the testers in Shannon, I think, and ask them.

Advertisement