Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Teenage daughter pregnant

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

team fop wrote: »
    I wish someone would write a handbook on rearing teens...there's millions to be made..no wait billions lol! In fact a book like that would be priceless :D

And now you've got it, if parents knew how to deal with teens then the book would be valueless. Your parenting from here on in will be likely to be the very advice that shakes her out of that tree. There are no handbooks for babies either ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 team fop

The daughter still lives with the OP. She obviously doesn't work. The dad doesn't sound like he's going to contribute. So responsibility for everything from clothing to childcare is going to fall squarely on the OP's shoulders. It is alot to take on. A new baby eats up time, ALOT of money, and leaves you pyhsically and mentally exhausted. I think it is a huge gamble to take, hoping that it will give her a kick up the bum etc to grown up and mature. What if it doesn't? What if she continues this behaviour after baby is born? Someone will have to look after the child and lets face it that someone will be the OP

Thanks for your post, it rang through clearly and you make some very good points that I can relate to, the main one being that she's 15, and if she wants to keep this baby that is her choice I accept that part, but in the eyes of the law I have no say what do ever, I have to help her, she is legally still a child, my child until she's 18 I am not doing it, but feel very backed into a corner and pressurised

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

team fop wrote: »
    Thanks for your post, it rang through clearly and you make some very good points that I can relate to, the main one being that she's 15, and if she wants to keep this baby that is her choice I accept that part, but in the eyes of the law I have no say what do ever, I have to help her, she is legally still a child, my child until she's 18 I am not doing it, but feel very backed into a corner and pressurised

Then in my opinion OP, and I know not many will agree with me, it's time for some tough love. If she isn't willing to face up to the seriousness of the situation, then it all needs to be laid out for her. Tell her exactly how much this baby will cost, how she won't be able to finish school, that she may very well have to find her own place. I'd say part of her thinks that at the end of the day you will be there for her and to look after baby, you need to let her know that this will not be your responsibility, it will be hers. I know it may sound harsh and others will say that a softly softly approach is best, but let's face it time is not on your side. I know it won't be easy to do this but she needs to understand that she created this mess and you will not be the one to shoulder the responsibility.

Have you contacted positive options yourself? They might be able to give you some advice as to how to approach this. I do feel really strongly though that at the end of the day if your child has this baby, she needs to know that you won't be looking after it. Be firm. It is awful having to threaten to cut off support but from what you've said, this baby doesn't soundlike its going to help your daughters behaviour at all, and I just wouldn't be taking the chance in the hope that she would change.

Take care of yourself OP x

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JoJoK

Then in my opinion OP, and I know not many will agree with me, it's time for some tough love. If she isn't willing to face up to the seriousness of the situation, then it all needs to be laid out for her. Tell her exactly how much this baby will cost, how she won't be able to finish school, that she may very well have to find her own place. I'd say part of her thinks that at the end of the day you will be there for her and to look after baby, you need to let her know that this will not be your responsibility, it will be hers. I know it may sound harsh and others will say that a softly softly approach is best, but let's face it time is not on your side. I know it won't be easy to do this but she needs to understand that she created this mess and you will not be the one to shoulder the responsibility.

Thanks for all of the lovely comments! I'm not so strong anymore and honestly wouldn't do it over, given a choice. But it is amazing how strong we women can be when tested, and how much something like this can cause our world view to change 180 degrees :( I do believe all parents of teenagers should be awarded some sort of accolades whenever the teen leaves school! It's such a huge achievement to get to that stage with any child, "difficult" or not.

OP, perri winkles makes very valid points. If your daughter insists on going through with having the baby it's something you really need to do for yourself. Have to say though, that once the baby is born it is extremely difficult/nigh on impossible not to put your life on hold because the bond is SO strong.

Perhaps it will help you in your resolve team fop, to know that, I'm now very ill and not totally capable of taking care of myself, never mind the grandchildren. Medics agree that the situation with my daughter is at least part of the cause, because our immune systems just don't work as they should when we're highly stressed.

Another thing you need to know is that if you suggest a termination and she doesn't go through with it, this will be thrown this back at you when you're disagreeing about her leaving the baby with the travellers, taking her out at 9pm, disrupting her sleep to give her kisses when she comes in drunk, offering to voluntarily care for her instead of the baby being put into foster care, offering to bathe your beautiful grandchild when you visit and find she stinks of sour milk, faeces and cigarette smoke... in fact an argument over heating oil bills can come back to the suggested termination, so be very careful how you tread. If you have a sister/sister in law/mother/best friend who might be able to talk sense with our girl, enroll them all in the effort, be relentless, but in the background and available. Don't be the "bit*h" in your daughter's eyes or the nightmare to come, whatever she decides, could be much worse!

I'm really sorry to be so bleak about it all but I do feel you need to know what's ahead, what is at stake. Had I known, I would have done as perri winkles suggests, and whether she sinks or swims will be a matter for your daughter and the professionals. At least that way, when your grandchild/ren is/are older you will be around and hopefully in good enough health, and have a longer life with them in your role as grand mother, and not as a wrung out husk with ill health.

About books on parenting teens, I had a whole library of them in the end! With my other children they worked a treat so are worth a look. However, for the daughter with the issues, social norms or givens just don't apply :eek:

I do hope you are taking care of you OP and are talking to people you can trust about this. Don't let the misty eyed, it's not the baby's fault people into your head, because believe me, it's the baby who will pay most for your daughters dysfunction. It's not something you have control over but something to keep in mind. You are in my thoughts and I truly hope it all goes better for you than it has for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Looking at the replies here, it's great to comfort the OP at this sudden devestating news. But have you thought about the next 9 months and 18 years!

Your daughter hasn't a clue what she is doing! She can just see this idealistic view of her and this beautiful, tiny, cute baby. If she is determined to keep the baby then make it your job to educate her to be a mother and to to guide her through some sort of education. She is going to grow up very fast if she has any hope of a good future.

As a very naive 19year old, I had my son. I didn't know the first thing about babies..least not colic. didn't receive much support from my family either. I quickly got swept up into post natal depression, as a single parent I was very scared.
    Holding a 7 week colicy and constipated screaming baby not knowing what the hell to do, while dealing with sleep deprivation and a lot of tears is very very real.
    Then one day decided enough was enough and moved away and went to college to better myself, if my sister hadn't told me to cop on and think of the future then I dread to think where i'd be now. But it wasn't easy going to college either, my son didn't want me to study, I couldn't pay half my bills, scrimping and scraping from dole day to dole day.

I WISH I had a supportive mother and father to help me through the first years of my sons life, because looking back I really needed guidance.

Now I have a very good job, have a partner and another baby living in the cushiest side of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I've only just read this so sorry for the delay. How are ye doing now?
    Firstly, I've young children so don't have teens but work with them. This COULD be the making of her. I've a 16 year old girl in my class who has a 15 month old. She's amazing. She never stops studying and is an inspiration to the others. She was a devil a two years ago.
    Support her but in my opinion don't make it too easy for her. She must realise her only way out is through education. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 belle2

OP just wanted to send big hugs and wish you lots of luck that it all works out ok for all of you xox

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leanonme

Sleepy wrote: »
    I think I was the one who mentioned the word 'ruined' so maybe I should explain what I meant by it.

For me, my life only really started after secondary school. Everything up until I finished my Leaving Cert was, in my teenage mind, the hurdles I had to jump over in order to get to college and start "having a life". TBH, it was worth it, college was arguably the best 5 years of my life and it was where I got to discover who I am. So, that's the framing of it for me. I don't have miserable memories of childhood or anything like that but, in my mind the best years of my 'growiing up' were from 17 to 24.

Yes, a single 16 year old mother can get a good leaving cert, go to college and have a career afterwards. Unless her parents are going to be raising the child for her, however, she's not going to get much of the college experience, never going to be able to do a J1, go backpacking for a year (or more) or simply have the freedom to do with her life what she wants to as her first responsibility is always going to be to her child.

I just finished in college, and I was grown up entering college, I had done my growing up, had done my wild nights out etc etc. I didnt do a J1, or backpacking or any of that sort of thing. Many people dont, none of my friends in college did. Plenty of the people I was in college with had kids, and although they were not out all the time, they did go out, and have a life, the same way every other parent does have.

This young girl could access a community child care facility which would allow her to continue in school, and in college. She still has her future if she wants it.

Her keeping the child will change her life, but so will being forced to have an abortion or giving the child up for adoption. No one knows what impact any of these options will have on the her, it will all depend on her.

Advertisement