Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whats considered a good salary?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

almighty1 wrote: »
    The public sector is higher qualified so your figures fail.

Are you having a f***ing laugh? Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Flyer1 wrote: »
    350 a week for a 40 hour week. Ouch.

I'm working out in a coal mine in oz at the moment and the money is what a lot here would call "good or decent "

Absolute bucket loads of work out here.

Don't take this the wrong way but the reason the money is good or decent is because working in a coal mine is a risky job, compared to your average retail or office worker, and has long term health implications too.

So don't get too excited just yet.

As for what constitutes a good wage, perhaps more people would be happier if they stopped comparing themselves to others constantly, and decided whether or not they are happy or able to live on the salary they actually have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

CashMoney wrote: »
    Higher qualified does not equal more productive.

Who cares about productivity? Higher qualifications equate to higher salary ;).

token101 wrote: »

Its fact. If I could be arsed I'd find the figures from CSO or wherever. And everybody knows higher qualifications = higher pay (generally). Well everybody should know. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭cafecreme

Its true, more PSWs hold degrees than private sector workers-I remember some report came out a few years back and more than 50% of PSWs hold degrees, with around 30% in the private sector. the problem here is with gigino (who appears to be obsessed with public sector salaries) uses the average measure-in terms of measuring any time of income the median is far superior.
    The rather large salaries (120k+) for senior management in the public sector, (and lets not foget politicians massive wedges are in there too), skew the stats and the fact that its only employees income in the private sector that are counted-owners income is not included in the metric but people seem to think the likes of Denis O brien's and Tony O Reilly's income is included when private sector salaries are measured :D
    But dont let facts get in the way here-if the public sector is such a cushy number then why dont the complainers work in it?
    Incidentally I think almost everyone is Ireland is overpaid-incomes chased house prices for about 15 years and the cost of living rose dramatically alongside too. Bring down costs all round and we'll all be better off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

[

ted1 wrote: »
    Make the public sector work a 40 week.

As Ian Paisley would say... NEVER, NEVER, NEVER :D

I'm happy with my 35 hr week

woodoo wrote: »

And the concession days are fantastic too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Depends on the individual's circumstances. I get 24 grand after tax and it's loads - I've no kids and my outgoings are reasonable. I'm lucky enough to have enough over for fun n' frolics.
    For someone with even just one child and a mortgage it would be pretty shyte though.

Sums the PS up quite nicely. I can't wait for the first party to grow a pair of bollocks and put these f***wits in their place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Comparing to average gives a pretty badly skewed idea of what constitutes a decent or good wage, given that there's a gigantic clustering between about 20k and 40k, virtually nobody under that, and a few earning vastly more. It skews the figure upwards. Median household income gives a more realistic idea - and median household income in Ireland is $24,667. In other words, half the households in this country are living on less than twenty-four thousand dollars. Faced with that figure, a salary of, say, 30,000 (which on current tax figures for a single person would mean about five hundred quid a week) stops looking disapponting and starts looking pretty bloody good.

Comparisons to the average really do drive me nuts, though - people think they're being unfairly taxed because they're not earning the average industrial wage, when in reality they could be earning twice as much as more than half the households in the country. Average salary isn't a meaningful comparator for an individual for that reason; it tells you very little about your interpersonal relationships with the people around you. If you earn the average salary of 30k for your village of a hundred people, and Bill Gates moves into town (his earnings being, say, thirty million a year), then the maths get spectacularly skewed. A hundred people earned three million last year and you earned the average; now a hundred and one people earned thirty-three million and you earned a pitifully small figure. You're now on about 10% of average salary, you pathetic failure. Except, of course, your social position and earning power are pretty much exactly the same as they were last year (admittedly, if Gates buys up a huge tract of land, it might get a little more expensive to buy a house, but that's about it). Meanwhile, in median terms, you've barely moved.

Averages don't work as a measurement when the scales are weighted. It's more or less impossible for anyone to earn much less than 40k below average salary, but it's entirely possible for someone to earn 400k more than it.

Its fact. If I could be arsed I'dfind the figures from CSO or wherever. And everybody knows higher qualifications = higher pay (generally). Well everybody should know. :rolleyes:

That's the general attitude of the PS alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

And the concession days are fantastic too.

If you mean the privilege days, are they not just going to be added to annual leave. At the end of the day it is only two days a year

EDIT: Isn't this thread about what people consider a good wage, why does it have to turn into another public vs private thread?

Are public sector workers (well those with really great perks, which is certainly not all of them) supposed to refuse their conditions or something?

Would those moaning about them refuse such conditions if THEY were in the PS? Of course not, hence the jealousy.

Odysseus wrote: »
    If you mean the privilege days, are they not just going to be added to annual leave. At the end of the day it is only two days a year

Yeah these will be added to annual leave from next year I think. It amounts to around 5+ days a year for some.
    1/2 day 23rd December, 27th, 28th, 29th and 30th December whatever days dont fall on a weekend.
    A 1/2 day on Thurs before Good Friday and the Tuesday after Easter Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Dudess wrote: »
    Are public sector workers (well those with really great perks, which is certainly not all of them) supposed to refuse their conditions or something?

Would those moaning about them refuse such conditions if THEY were in the PS? Of course not, hence the jealousy.

Yeah PS bashing and dole bashing is really the same thing, jealousy. In the first instance, jealousy over perceived great pay and perks for little work, and in the second instance jealousy for a perceived life of leisure paid for by the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

When half of it is disposable income. Now that is an illusive sum because disposable income seems to increase cost exponentially, its why there is never enough.

So I think for a single guy with his head on his shoulders 50 to 60,000 per annum should be enough.

Agricola wrote: »

Yeah PS bashing and dole bashing is really the same thing, jealousy. In the first instance, jealousy over perceived great pay and perks for little work, and in the second instance jealousy for a perceived life of leisure paid for by the state.
    I get the feeling that those who are most vocal in their condemnation of the PS, if they got a job there (which they certainly wouldn't turn down - hypocrisy in and of itself) would be the biggest piss-taking PS workers of all.

Sums the PS up quite nicely. I can't wait for the first party to grow a pair of bollocks and put these f***wits in their place.

The average working week in Germany, France, Denmark, all well run countries is either at 35 or moving towards it. Netherlands is 30.

Many things may change in the PS but the 35hr week will not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

cafecreme wrote: »
    if the public sector is such a cushy number then why dont the complainers work in it?
    something like that was tried before and it did not work - communism.

Private sector workers are too busy working making goods and providing services, and paying the tax to pay the public servants better salary and pensions than they get themselves.

• Advertisement

The average working week in Germany, France, Denmark, all well run countries is either at 35 or moving towards it. Netherlands is 30.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Try using more than a silly face to illustrate your point.

Average public sector salary in the UK - our closest neighbour and one that is helping to bail us out - is 21.5k stg a year. Their Prime Minister is pair 142k stg a year. So good wages there are upwards of 21.5k a year sterling.

As regards working hours, people in the States get 2 weeks holidays a year. Here certain people take that in sickies.

Look at all the cribbing that was done when they were reduced from 49.5k to 48k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Normal thread about X,Y or Z degenerates into Public service bashing thread :eek: ZOMG

To those of you that were responsible for said degeneration, get a hobby.

gigino wrote: »
    As regards working hours, people in the States get 2 weeks holidays a year. Here certain people take that in sickies.

I wouldn't look to the states for guidance on how to do things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

gigino wrote: »
    Average public sector salary in the UK - our closest neighbour and one that is helping to bail us out - is 21.5k stg a year. Their Prime Minister is pair 142k stg a year. So good wages there are upwards of 21.5k a year sterling.

Are you saying you want to reduce your own holidays to 2 weeks a year?
    Or just other peoples?

I work in a place where we have better terms than the public sector.
    27 days hols with an extra day for each year of service. (plus good Friday and the days at christmas as bonus days)
    35 hour working week.
    Paid overtime.
    Noone in the company on less than 75k
    VHI
    Bonus
    8% of salary paid into pension whether you contribute yourself or not.
    €350 a month towards mortgage or rent every month on top of your salary.

And I havent seen a year yet where we didnt get a pay rise of less than 5%.

And would you believe it, most of my colleagues still complain about what the public sector get every day.

I think its just in people nature to begrudge someone else.

I work in a place where we have better terms than the public sector.
    27 days hols with an extra day for each year of service.
    35 hour working week.
    Paid overtime.
    Noone in the company on less than 75k
    VHI
    Bonus
    8% of salary paid into pension whether you contribute yourself or not.
    €350 a month towards mortgage or rent every month on top of your salary.

And I havent seen a year yet where we didnt get a pay rise of less than 5%.

And would you believe it, most of my colleagues still complain about what the public sector get every day.

I think its just in people nature to begrudge someone else.

There is a herd element to it too. They hear so much of it in the media.

• Advertisement

There is a herd element to it too. They hear so much of it in the media.

Or they herd it in the media .... boom tiss...

Advertisement