Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Has anyone heard how many sheep have paid the charge yet?? I have some hats I need to give to some people to eat:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

greenpilot wrote: »
    Has anyone heard how many sheep have paid the charge yet?? I have some hats I need to give to some people to eat:D

Those hats will go down a treat after the sheep are finished with their magic beans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

The Government is reportedly planning to use utility bills to track down people who do not pay the €100 household charge.

Up to 1.4 million households have not registered to pay the charge, which is due at the end of the month.

Just 12 % of homes have signed up to pay the charge so far, netting the Government €20m instead of an expected €160m.

The Sunday Times reports that the move follows discussions with the Data Protection Commissioner.

Personal information held by the ESB, the Revenue, the Department of Social Protection and local authorities will be used to identify those who havent registered to pay by the deadline of March 31.

source:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/report-govt-to-use-utility-bills-to-track-household-charge-payments-543091.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Utility bills do not prove ownership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

bgrizzley wrote: »
    The Government is reportedly planning to use utility bills to track down people who do not pay the €100 household charge.

Up to 1.4 million households have not registered to pay the charge, which is due at the end of the month.

Just 12 % of homes have signed up to pay the charge so far, netting the Government €20m instead of an expected €160m.

The Sunday Times reports that the move follows discussions with the Data Protection Commissioner.

Personal information held by the ESB, the Revenue, the Department of Social Protection and local authorities will be used to identify those who havent registered to pay by the deadline of March 31.

source:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/report-govt-to-use-utility-bills-to-track-household-charge-payments-543091.html
    The_Thing wrote: »
    Utility bills do not prove ownership.

Scaremongering. nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Precedents are being set. Be very very wary of what the government says or does regarding this and the other proposed taxes.

3.1 billion debt for losing gamblers being paid back in three weeks and they will chase Mary and Johnny for a paltry 100 euro to jail. Shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

... they will chase Mary and Johnny for a paltry 100 euro to jail. Shocking.
    Might be shocking if it was true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Precedents are being set. Be very very wary of what the government says or does regarding this and the other proposed taxes.

3.1 billion debt for losing gamblers being paid back in three weeks and they will chase Mary and Johnny for a paltry 100 euro to jail. Shocking.

People in jail won't have to pay it or work for it. Another reason why my existence tax is a better idea and more to the point

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

In Limerick only 1% have paid the house tax. It was all over the local papers last week.

1%
    :D:D:D:D:D

In Limerick only 1% have paid the house tax. It was all over the local papers last week.

1%

A nice big 'Fcuk you, Hogan' from Limerick. Well done.

• Advertisement

1%
    That figure was for people who paid at council offices and doesn't take into account people who paid online.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/less-than-2-of-limerick-householders-have-paid-controversial-household-charge-1-3605302#
    A total of 543 people have paid the €100 charge in cash at one of the County Council’s offices as of this Wednesday morning.

The council’s acting head of finance, Sean Coughlan, said that while several more are understood to have paid via credit card, cheque or online, exact figures of how many Limerick people have made the payment since it was introduced on January 1 have not yet been provided by the Local Government Management Agency (LGMA), which is managing the charge.

Sorry to burst you bubble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I wonder what trick that snake Hogan has ready for us in the coming weeks to quickly get everyone to pay up. He must have taken advice from the Troika on how to introduce property tax and from other countries that introduced this at some point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Bad news for those that have not paid the Household Tax.

The Sunday Times reports today have exposed that the Fine Gael Government will be using utility bills to track down the 1.4m people who have not yet paid the household charge.

The move follows discussions with the data protection commissioner and comes amid growing disquiet in senior government circles at the low level of payment of the €100 levy. Just 12% of the 1.6m households liable for the charge have paid so far, leaving the government with just €20m instead of an expected €160m.

Personal information held by the Electricity Supply Board (ESB), the Revenue Commissioners, the Department of Social Protection and local authorities which collect the second-home tax will be used to identify people who have not paid the charge by the March 31 deadline.

A spokesman for Phil Hogan, the environment minister, said that following discussions with the commissioner, the government is now confident a protocol governing the data-sharing procedure can be drawn up by the end of the month.
    “The information we will be getting is access to the names, addresses and PPS numbers of people; basically just enough information so that we will know where people are,”.

Hogans department may begin by using ESB data to send letters to those liable for the charge.
    Hogan’s spokeswoman said there are no plans to revise the fines for late payment, currently €10 for the first six months, and then increasing. She said the Fines Amendment Bill, set for publication this year, will help the department to collect the levy. It will allow the government to take money directly from the wages or social-welfare payments of people who refuse to pay a debt or fine.

“We expect that will be helpful and a cleaner collection method,” she said.

All very nice people... eh? Helpful? To whom?
    ...O' right, FG and Labour as they continue to bail out the bankers!

...And what about those that DON'T use ESB?
    There is other companies!

Is Fine Gael and Labour going to steal or spy on rivals computer data and make use of their companies name and addresses too?

It seems like vestiges of Germany's previous history of the government Stazi spying on the people be any means and keeping track of them for every reasons, is being also now being used by these two disgusting Irish traitorous political parties!

What happened to the laws of data sharing too?
    O' right, FG and Labour now can do what the hell the want can't they!

With Germany now cutting off state benefits to others in the EU (apparently against possible EU rules?) - so doing what the hell it wants in the face of laws, state and European, like them, Ireland's government it seems once again, is being infected by the methods of the REAL state that is barking orders at the Irish people!

...And ALL this from the very man that siad:

"All Irish people believe that a man's house is his castle. It is morally unjust and unfair to tax a person's home"
    - Enda Kenny in the Dail (1994)

The above being just one of MANY u-turns he and his ilk has done in just 12 months.
    I guess by his own words he and his government (including Gilmore and Labour) has decided to become morally unjust then!
    This comes as NO shock to many Irish people! Its just more of the same that been happening in the last 12 months.

Biggins wrote: »
    Hogans department may begin by using ESB data to send letters to those liable for the charge.

My father's name is still on the ESB bill even though he died over seven years ago. It is the only utility bill coming into the house.

Let them bring a dead man to court if they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

lol! - sounds like the government is getting desperate!

The data the ESB holds is only for paying electricity bills. If the government go down this route, they'll be looking at a a number of legal challenges.

Why didn't they do this in the first place? answer = because they couldn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭LilyCullen

My dad told me he paid it the other day, said he felt he had no choice and didn't want to go through the whole fine business.

I think he felt pretty embarrassed about it. He lost his company because of the bust and he kind of explained to me that a lot of people he'd talked to just felt like they had no fight left in them.

LilyCullen wrote: »
    My dad told me he paid it the other day, said he felt he had no choice and didn't want to go through the whole fine business.

I think he felt pretty embarrassed about it. He lost his company because of the bust and he kind of explained to me that a lot of people he'd talked to just felt like they had no fight left in them.

...Which sadly is what FG wants, will use to their best ability and will get away with it too because the sheep of this country that still lend FG and Labour support, will allow it to happen in silence.

...The data the ESB holds is only for paying electricity bills. If the government go down this route, they'll be looking at a a number of legal challenges.
    Why didn't they do this in the first place? answer = because they couldn't
    Will they though?
    The ESB is a semi-state body and as such will also quietly toe the government line.
    So much for possible data sharing laws keeping things private! Eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭LilyCullen

The_Thing wrote: »

god, they're such f**king vultures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Personal information held by the Electricity Supply Board (ESB), the Revenue Commissioners, the Department of Social Protection and local authorities which collect the second-home tax will be used to identify people who have not paid the charge by the March 31 deadline.

Good luck with that......
    HUNDREDS of people are likely to escape the tax on second homes after the authorities admitted it is too expensive and time consuming to pursue those who have refused to pay it.
    The Department of the Environment admitted resources were not available to pinpoint the identities of those dodging the €200-a-year non-principal private residence (NPPR) charge.
    A spokesman said it would be a costly and time-consuming task to correlate information from land registry records -- a task beyond the capabilities of most cash-strapped county councils.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/hundreds-escape-secondhome-tax-2913935.html

They also legally need to apply for access to the ESB data and for the right to access and debit social welfare and wages.
    this will meet legal challenges all the way.

Ghandee said scaremongering......... and he'd be right.

• Advertisement

...Which sadly is what FG wants, will use to their best ability and will get away with it too because the sheep of this country that still lend FG and Labour support, will allow it to happen in silence.
    Doesn't your party support a property tax?

Broaden the tax base instead of increasing rates, and diversify with use of site value tax (see
    Housing)

Require any property tax to be levied on owners, not occupiers (see Housing)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Was coming home from work the other day and an advert on the radio came on reminding us to pay the Household Charge. What will they think of next? I hope people hold their nerve on this and dont give in.

Was coming home from work the other day and an advert on the radio came on reminding us to pay the Household Charge. What will they think of next?
    That's crazy - a radio ad you say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 massey168

We do have a choice, you can delay payment for 12 months, it costs an extra €42 to protest, but its well worth it to make the point. If everyone did that this corrupt tax would fail.

That mentality is exactly how they are getting away with it, and exactly the reason 1000's Jews in camps in WWII pretended to believe the lies, and calmy walked into the gas chambers for a few dozen Nazi guards instead of dying fighting.

Personally until I breath my last breath I will never stop fighting and resisting the corrupt golden circle scum in this country.

dvpower wrote: »
    Doesn't your party support a property tax?
    It does but as a site value tax. Not a standard charge upon the roof and people!
    One that will be accountable by means adjustment and/or other more fairer methods.

There are those however that even in the IDP, are pushing for no so-called household tax at all, even as laid out and currently in use by our two traitorous parties.

I personally do NOT believe there should be a household tax placed upon the vast majority of the Irish people (at least - if not at all).
    Therefore its up to me within the IDP to see that this comes about.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

dvpower wrote: »
    That's crazy - a radio ad you say?

Yeah, it was on either 2fm or Today fm last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Just envisage that you have a 100 euros in your hand,giving it to Enda, who gives it to Michael, who gives it to the Finance dept officials,who give it to a nameless bondholder, and he rides off onto the sunset.

That is what is happening with this. It goes beyond the ordinary income tax we (most of us anyway) pay. I can kid myself and believe that income tax at least, is going on everyday expenditure and goes towards the balancing of the books.

But these extra taxes. Unfair,unjust and wont work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Paid it already.

While it will probably be used to pay for the mistakes of FF developers, still, most countries in Europe pay a property tax, and I agree with that principle.

We paid low taxes for long enough and the country ended up in a mess probably because people had too much spare cash knocking around.

If you're big enough to own a house, you're big enough to pay a property tax.

Just envisage that you have a 100 euros in your hand,giving it to Enda, who gives it to Michael, who gives it to the Finance dept officials,who give it to a nameless bondholder, and he rides off onto the sunset.

Exactly, and in turn these secret bondholders spend your €100 on a cocktail while sunbathing on a tax free cayman islands beach. "Cheers suckers" Clink Clink

Who are these secret bondholders ? why can they not be named ? For all we know Bertie and Seanie are directors of these bondholders companies. The whole thing is a corrupt scam.

• Advertisement

plasmaguy wrote: »
    Paid it already.

While it will probably be used to pay for the mistakes of FF developers, still, most countries in Europe pay a property tax, and I agree with that principle.

We paid low taxes for long enough and the country ended up in a mess probably because people had too much spare cash knocking around.

If you're big enough to own a house, you're big enough to pay a property tax.

99% of people have no problem paying just taxes.
    This is not a just tax, not a penny of it will be spent on public services, it is just a corrupt slush fund for the golden circle. You many enjoy funding corruption, but many of us have higher principles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement