Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Meeting new friends Galway...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

inisboffin wrote:
    And be warned.....at some point you're bound to hear 'Pics!' LOL

Ya people should probably stop saying that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭nimhbal

Thanks a mill for that, will def do. gr8 to have an idea where to start. Nothing like forward planning!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Fifibella

Hi guys. i moved back to galway while ago but all my friends have moved away,,its hard to make friends in galway and not sure how to go about it! any suggestions??? thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

I know ye guys were already on about beers night.
    but how about a table quiz? I seen a good few advertised in the paper. there seems to be a lot on for charity at the moment.
    I think they are great craic and it would break the ice a bit.

just an idea i had...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

hyperbaby wrote: »
    but how about a table quiz? I seen a good few advertised in the paper. there seems to be a lot on for charity at the moment.

just an idea i had...

I, for one, LOVE the sound of that :)

• Advertisement

just an idea i had...

It's hard to organise a table quiz for many reasons.

1. Who is it for?, who's going to organise the venue, quiz master etc....

2. They're not very social tbh, and in regards answering questions, if two people ended up at a table with two who knew each other, the ones that know each other tend to take over. You'd really want to know the other 3 people at your table for a TQ

3. Would it even be possible to fill this with Boardsies?, how many tables could you realistically fill with posters here?, how many would end up bringing friends? etc....

I think the whole social aspect would just be lost.

I think something apart from a ''Beer's night'' would be better, i couldn't muster the courage to head into one myself. Your forced into a situation where you must instantly talk to people and that can be hard, on the other hand i joined the Boards Tag Rugby team, at least when there's an activity it gives a basis to get to know people without been trust into the deep end

I meant one that is already taken place, i saw a few advertised in the paper this week, not one that the board organises.
    that would be a major hassle.

Spadina wrote: »
    I, for one, LOVE the sound of that :)
    :D

Really i just want to show off my super general knowledge skills :P

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Daaboo

If any extra boardsies need an excuse to go out, my birthday this weekend in Buskers on Saturday night and a number of friends some of who are also on boards will be out.

All welcome, then again it's a public place so it would be hard to not be. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Carolyyn

I meant one that is already taken place, i saw a few advertised in the paper this week, not one that the board organises.
    that would be a major hassle.

Crowes on Prospect Hill had a table quiz 2 weeks ago and there's another this Thursday evening. Lohans in Salthill hold table quizes on a regular basis too. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Carolyyn wrote: »
    Crowes on Prospect Hill had a table quiz 2 weeks ago and there's another this Thursday evening. Lohans in Salthill hold table quizes on a regular basis too. :D

And they have Karaoke...:D:D

I'd join a table quiz team. I also have loads of (otherwise) useless general knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Good bit of interest in a 'ladies only do' in the near future...got a few PMs about...any one else keen?
    That sounds good to me. I'm a Galway newb too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 miqui

sounds good to me too:)

Suggestions so for a ladies only night? Some in TLL are having a cinema night with a few drinks after, not sure how it would work in Galway but it's an idea...any other suggestions, or should we just stick we the sole pub idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

I just got this in an email, for the more adventurous :)
    Hi All,
    I'd like to bring your attention to the youtube link below. It's a
    clip of a flashmob that happened in Cork last Nov 09.
    I think its fantastic! There are also other good examples of flashmobs
    on youtube e.g T Moblie advert.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utdKjUZz-o0
    If you'd like to take part in a Galway flashmob in March, then come to
    the Blackbox for rehearsals next Tues 2nd and Tues 9th March at
    7.30-9pm.
    Its being organised by the St Patrick's Day Festival crew in Galway.
    They are looking for All ages to take part. I was at last weeks
    rehearsal and the moves are pretty simple and can be learnt easily.
    The date and time of event will be disclosed at the rehearsals.
    Hope to see you there!
    Sharon M Lynch.
    P.S. pass this on...

is that for real??? I have always wanted to be part of something like this!! (sad, I know!)

It was forwarded by a good friend. I'd do it, but I'm not turning up on my own :)

It was forwarded by a good friend. I'd do it, but I'm not turning up on my own :)

I'll see ya there!

Excellent! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Would that be the same dancey flashmob organised by D?
    Just curious? If so should be mighty craic!!

I only know what I've already shared IB. But yeah, sounds like a laugh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Carolyyn

Would definitely be interested in ladies do soon! How about a comedy show in the Roisin Dubh which would also incorporate beers.

Carolyyn wrote: »
    Would definitely be interested in ladies do soon! How about a comedy show in the Roisin Dubh which would also incorporate beers.

That's a pretty good idea. I'm game as long as it isn't a comedian who picks on people in the audience!

Just if anyone is interested, a couple of us are gonna do the whole flashmob-dance thingy tomorrow in the Black box...bit of fun, don't think you need to be a Fred Astaire or the next Strictly Come Dancing champ, and sure it will be a laugh....

Linky: http://www.enjoyfreetoday.com/blog/galway-flash-mob-project

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=62798108953&topic=13689

The one done in Liverpool but these folks look like feckin real dancers!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ3d3KigPQM

And if you don't know anyone but really, really want to do it come anyway cos we will all be in the same boat :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mc12

Hi all, I'm Paula.. I am looking to meet friends in Galway, I have been here a while, left for a short time though and lost contact with people.
    Like to go out, drink tea in cafes and pubs, chill out, cinema, music, etc.
    Like The Blu Note, Rosin etc. Hate places like CP's.
    Would be cool to have a laugh, go out with people!!! I've just turned 30...oooh that sounded scary. Anyone in the same situation get in touch.:)

Hey Paula, Im in a similar situation as yourself!!! Like u I like to go out, have a laugh. At a loose end at the moment, Im finishing my final year in college an everyone is going their seperate ways! Im into the same scene as yourself, hate Halo an the likes with a passion!

Im female, twenty four, if your interested in meeting for a coffee that would be pretty cool!!

I wonder how the original poster got on...
    i am a wee bit too lazy to see if she replied in the thread after she met new people.
    i was going to reply to her and suggest a meet up but i was in a bad place at the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

That's a pretty good idea. I'm game as long as it isn't a comedian who picks on people in the audience!

you mean like every comedian that has ever lived...good luck with that

anyway it's usually just a bit of good-natured banter, don't be so sensitive

donfers wrote: »
    you mean like every comedian that has ever lived...good luck with that

anyway it's usually just a bit of good-natured banter, don't be so sensitive

Just not my cup of tea, I'm not sensitive, in the past, the majority of comedians I have seen who do are usually not that good comedians and need to make fun of people in their line of vision to be funny. But each to their own.

Ladies night out, coming soon...bowling?!, comedy gig, plain old beers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mc12

hey guys, are ye planning a night out? would love to join yee if theres room for one more!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement