Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭greenpilot

I would like to see a Group established to support local authorities in ensuring this tax is collected.

I would be prepared to work for them on a voluntary basis to ensure all eligible houses in my area are tracked and identified.

I think this could prove particularly helpful in Rural locations. Quite a few people might be interested in helping to track down those who are trying to evade their duties, so that there is fair play for all.

Any thoughts from those in favour of seeing the country put on a stable footing? I don't need to hear the usual barrage of bullsh1t that will come from the loudmouth lefties.

There used to be a group established to collect Tax here in Ireland, but that was back in the 12th Century Bishop. Stick to being a lonely keyboard warrior. Besides, should you ever venture beyond the pale, Im pretty sure you wouldnt know where to turn. Just stop and ask any folk with a RISE sticker on the car for directions. They will be only too glad to lead you to the nearest, dark isolated Rural house so that you can collect the tax that seems to be keeping you occupied these days. It must be great to be retired in these times. Plenty of time to waste. Isnt it time for your walk?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ian64 wrote: »
    How about a posting leftie economically illiterate posts on boards.ie tax?
    But could you and the lads afford it?
    :D

Not all are dedicated lefties. Some genuinely see this as an unjust tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

greenpilot wrote: »
    There used to be a group established to collect Tax here in Ireland, but that was back in the 12th Century Bishop. Stick to being a lonely keyboard warrior. Besides, should you ever venture beyond the pale, Im pretty sure you wouldnt know where to turn. Just stop and ask any folk with a RISE sticker on the car for directions. They will be only too glad to lead you to the nearest, dark isolated Rural house so that you can collect the tax that seems to be keeping you occupied these days. It must be great to be retired in these times. Plenty of time to waste. Isnt it time for your walk?

What sort of person would want to go around checking who lives in, and owns what property, and their tax status, as a voluntary passtime.

Hey bishop_donal, when are you bringing in the protest tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

robbie7730 wrote: »
    The idea of this is, you might be someone that never had a tv. But now once you have even a laptop, you will be liable for the rte tax.

Watch out, inspector donal will be knocking in soon.
    He said it was mainly younger people who were using other devices to access broadcasting

Surely anyone with a website that hosts any kind of media could stick their hands out for a slice of this action.

What's to stop YouTube withdrawing it's services on the basis of this new contract with it's customers??

To my mind it condones all media. Some of that internet media is pure filth!

• Advertisement

What sort of person would want to go around checking who lives in, and owns what property, and their tax status, as a voluntary passtime.

LOl (:D)

*rhetorical question*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

greenpilot wrote: »

I wasn't really planning to do it all myself!!

One side of the debate have organised themselves into groups and structures to try to block compliance with the law.

All I am suggesting is that it makes sense for the law abiding majority to do something similar.

If the councils published the lists of addresses they have, the people who are paying their share could check their localities to report any addresses that are not on it (pretty much the same as reporting a fraudulent Welfare claim). Even if councils couldn't publish that detail, they may be able to temporarily recruit agents to assist with a matching process.

The Councils might even be able to introduce an incentive (i.e. when they collect the penalties / interest that they would give a discount of a portion of it against the tax liability of the individual who reported it).

It would help ensure there is a level playing field for everyone.

Hey bishop_donal, when are you bringing in the protest tax?

I'll have to ask Enda!!

majority

Take another look at the poll. Also........

He said that the latest estimates for emigration from Ireland were now standing at 120,000 per year – without that mass exodus, he said, the Irish unemployment figure would be close on 800,000

http://www.galwaynews.ie/23674-emigration-only-thing-keeping-unemployment-figure-down

Who the fuhk has a spare €100?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Seems to be plenty of money about in the pubs and off licences, plenty of Southern cars stocking up on their booze for Christmas.

First World problems, heh?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

squod wrote: »
    Take another look at the poll. Also........

http://www.galwaynews.ie/23674-emigration-only-thing-keeping-unemployment-figure-down

Who the fuhk has a spare €100?

I wouldn't be basing my view on a poll on Boards. Let's see if more than 50% are compliant on 31 March 2012.

Who has a spare Eur100? Vast majority of people. They just view the night in the Pub as mandatory / their sky TV is mandatory / their three foreign holidays a year are mandatory / eating out a few times a week is mandatory etc etc etc. It's a strange recession in this country when you see how busy the pubs were right over Christmas. Wait til you see the crowds at the Rugby matches...... But oh no, don't ask me to make a pissy little contribution towards putting the country back on a stable footing......

I wouldn't be basing my view on a poll on Boards. Let's see if more than 50% are compliant on 31 March 2012.

Who has a spare Eur100? Vast majority of people. They just view the night in the Pub as mandatory / their sky TV is mandatory / their three foreign holidays a year are mandatory / eating out a few times a week is mandatory etc etc etc. It's a strange recession in this country when you see how busy the pubs were right over Christmas. Wait til you see the crowds at the Rugby matches...... But oh no, don't ask me to make a pissy little contribution towards putting the country back on a stable footing......

Jaysus. Where do you live??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,447 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

What puzzles me is how the French managed to enact a property tax. Those fvckers usually start rioting and burning sheep as soon as anyone tries to take their money.

http://www.properties-in-europe.com/info_france_tax.htm

What puzzles me is how the French managed to enact a property tax. Those fvckers usually start rioting and burning sheep as soon as anyone tries to take their money.

In France.......The standard rate for TVA is 19.6%, but .... certain items are taxed at a lower rate (for example, some food items are taxed at only 5.5%).

They also have wealth taxes and the like.

http://www.france-property-and-information.com/taxes-in-france.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

zerks wrote: »
    Is anybody able to see the list for group 1 & 2 houses on the exemption page on the website?

Local press in Wexford has some estates listed that are exempt and the residents are bemused seeing as one is a 38 year old estate:confused:

Another I know that's exempt has every house occupied and is finished,where I live has over 50 empty units and unfinished roads yet I'm expected to pay the charge.
    Did they just pick some places out of a hat??

Seems to have been little/no methodology in drawing up the lists, I know they've made a balls of it in Wexford from people I know there. They have now rowed back on Carricklawn and they now have to pay it. Hate that !

Plus the fact that there was no public consultation is a joke, I mean we expect our planning departments in the county councils to draw up the list, acurately :eek::eek:, planning departments, I mean.....

K-9 wrote: »
    Seems to be plenty of money about in the pubs and off licences, plenty of Southern cars stocking up on their booze for Christmas.

First World problems, heh?

Some of you won't be happy 'till everyone is in sackcloth and ashes it seems. I was out walking my dog for the last hour and I can tell you there are very few out in the pubs. I passed approx 9 and hardly anyone in them. Made a point of looking in. No cars outside either. If people do have a drink it is probably at the weekend and only a few according to the publicans on the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

I would like to see a Group established to support local authorities in ensuring this tax is collected.

I would be prepared to work for them on a voluntary basis to ensure all eligible houses in my area are tracked and identified.

I think this could prove particularly helpful in Rural locations. Quite a few people might be interested in helping to track down those who are trying to evade their duties, so that there is fair play for all.

Any thoughts from those in favour of seeing the country put on a stable footing? I don't need to hear the usual barrage of bullsh1t that will come from the loudmouth lefties.

There already is such a group, its called your local FG Cumann. They'll take anybody, and you sould like the type that enjoys dressing up in their uniforms and saluting the Golden circle and their puppet Enda.

Can someone post the photos below for him :

salute.jpg

blueshirts%255B1%255D.gif

Some of you won't be happy 'till everyone is in sackcloth and ashes it seems. I was out walking my dog for the last hour and I can tell you there are very few out in the pubs. I passed approx 9 and hardly anyone in them. Made a point of looking in. No cars outside either. If people do have a drink it is probably at the weekend and only a few according to the publicans on the radio.

I see children buying takeaway food and then throwing it around the street. And throwing away half full bottles of Coke. All this while using their mobile phones. Their households at least must have avoided the recession.

I see children buying takeaway food and then throwing it around the street. And throwing away half full bottles of Coke. All this while using their mobile phones. Their households at least must have avoided the recession.

What. Thousands of them ?
    The streets in my area have not been swept for nearly a week and I didn't notice too many chips or bottles on them.
    I'm paying for them not to be swept too by the way.

The Councils might even be able to introduce an incentive (i.e. when they collect the penalties / interest that they would give a discount of a portion of it against the tax liability of the individual who reported it).

Right so, you actually do want to get out of paying some of your tax, in return for reporting others. Id say you would be a popular neighbour.

• Advertisement

Tax evasion vs tax avoidance. I see..........

Wouldn't listen to them FF publicans.

You can be sure those Southern cars in Strabane, Enniskillen and Newry are very real, though .82c in the pound should put them off. The Dubs in the Asda off licence are hilarious to watch though!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Wouldn't listen to them FF publicans.

You can be sure those Southern cars in Strabane, Enniskillen and Newry are very real, though .82c in the pound should put them off. The Dubs in the Asda off licence are hilarious to watch though!

I wouldn't know anything about Asda or shopping in the North. I support my local shops and local jobs. The only thing I will not support is this unjust Property Tax. I don't care if it's only 100e either, it's unjust. I pay all the other taxes though.

I wouldn't know anything about Asda or shopping in the North. I support my local shops and local jobs. The only thing I will not support is this unjust Property Tax. I don't care if it's only 100e either, it's unjust. I pay all the other taxes though.

Well I am very close to an Asda and I'm in it twice a year at most, hate the damn place. I support my local shops trying their best to keep in business.

Whenever I do go, the amount of Jacinta's gawking at the price of the 1.5ltr bottle of Vodka suggests to me they can afford €2 a week on a property tax. Probably end up costing the taxpayer on liver transplants anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

Shenshen wrote: »
    It's €100, that's around €8.33 a month.

I'm finding it absolutely baffling how people can get worked up over this, yet will happily spend as much on a single drink on a night out....

Get a grip. Seriously.

Get a grip on this.

The 2009 Commission on Taxation suggested that houses valued between €150,000 and €300,000 should be levied with a property tax of €563. John Fitzgerald of the Economic and Social Research Institute (the government’s semi-official economic think-tank) has said that the new taxes should be as high as €1300 per annum on the average household.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

Well I am very close to an Asda and I'm in it twice a year at most, hate the damn place. I support my local shops trying their best to keep in business.

Whenever I do go, the amount of Jacinta's gawking at the price of the 1.5ltr bottle of Vodka suggests to me they can afford €2 a week on a property tax. Probably end up costing the taxpayer on liver transplants anyway.

Yes, how dare the plebs shop around for lower prices
    Make them pay for the billionaire bondholders and golden cirlces cocktails while lying on a tax free Caymen Islands beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Right so, you actually do want to get out of paying some of your tax, in return for reporting others. Id say you would be a popular neighbour.

The Bishop won't be reporting his neighbours, remember he doesn't know anybody who won't be paying this tax. Also, he thinks dining out a few times a week and three foreign holidays a year are still the norm.
    I don't care if it's only 100e either, it's unjust. I pay all the other taxes though.

+1 But bishop donal, ian64 or black francis refuse to see that it is not the €100, but the fact it is being levied against our homes. You can bet you life when the sh*t really hits the fan in the not too distant they will be threatening us with evictions for failling to pay.
    Why else would it be neccessary to attatch the debt to our homes. It is only going to raise c. €160m. It shouldn't be too difficult to raise that in other ways, but as things get tighter it will be neccessary to have greater leverage to extract every last cent from the plebs. This is just the first step to getting legal justification for taking everything.

Yes, how dare the plebs shop around for lower prices
    Make them pay for the billionaire bondholders and golden cirlces cocktails while lying on a tax free Caymen Islands beach.

Yeah, that makes everything grand. Jacinta can have her cocktail and she loves her cocktails after a few vodkas.

What. Thousands of them ?
    The streets in my area have not been swept for nearly a week and I didn't notice too many chips or bottles on them.
    I'm paying for them not to be swept too by the way.

Just an indication that times are not hard for everybody. On average every household throws away about €1000 in uneaten food every year. Maybe this is just more propaganda but anyway.

http://stopfoodwaste.ie/

I'm not one for sackcloth and ashes either, everyone should have what they want but this recession is nothing compared to the real poverty of the past.

• Advertisement

Slick50 wrote: »
    The Bishop won't be reporting his neighbours, remember he doesn't know anybody who won't be paying this tax. Also, he thinks dining out a few times a week and three foreign holidays a year are still the norm.

+1 But bishop donal, ian64 or black francis refuse to see that it is not the €100, but the fact it is being levied against our homes. You can bet you life when the sh*t really hits the fan in the not too distant they will be threatening us with evictions for failling to pay.
    Why else would it be neccessary to attatch the debt to our homes. It is only going to raise c. €160m. It shouldn't be too difficult to raise that in other ways, but as things get tighter it will be neccessary to have greater leverage to extract every last cent from the plebs. This is just the first step to getting legal justification for taking everything.

Reminisces about the Field.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement