Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

I am insanely hungry today. Just cant seem to fill myself. My sleep is still very irratic.
    Im supposed to keep a mood/thought diary for couselling havent been filling it in though. Kinda dont really know what mood im in and seem to have no thoughts. Other than im starving:(
    Ill try fill it in a bit over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

handbagmad wrote: »
    I am insanely hungry today. Just cant seem to fill myself. My sleep is still very irratic.
    Im supposed to keep a mood/thought diary for couselling havent been filling it in though. Kinda dont really know what mood im in and seem to have no thoughts. Other than im starving:(
    Ill try fill it in a bit over the next few days.

Hi you mentioned you were on seroquel what dosage are you taking if you don't mind me asking as I'm on it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Has anyone tried hypnosis for anxiety? something I'm thinking about trying.

I (and others in my family) have used EFT and FasterEFT which are forms of self hypnosis or energy psychology with great results.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

murria wrote: »
    I (and others in my family) have used EFT and FasterEFT which are forms of self hypnosis or energy psychology with great results.

Any good links for this? Thanks

lukesmom wrote: »
    Hi you mentioned you were on seroquel what dosage are you taking if you don't mind me asking as I'm on it also.

150mg lukesmom I don't really like it to be honest. Doing me no good in my opinion. Just have massive appetite and feel like a whale ;-) :(

• Advertisement

handbagmad wrote: »
    150mg lukesmom I don't really like it to be honest. Doing me no good in my opinion. Just have massive appetite and feel like a whale ;-) :(

I love it because it took me out of a very dark place. I'm on 300mg xr at night. Yes my appetite has increased big time but I've also been taking mirtazapine which is notorious for weight gain too so these to combined has made me put on crazy weight. I've actually dropped the mirtazapine tonight cold turkey to see how I get on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I called the psych outpatients today, haven't had my appointment letter.. Was told they were discharging me.. I'm in shock. I was pretty bad with suicidal thoughts at last appointment, have been in hospital twice getting wounds treated within the last year and, i felt, hadn't really formulated any sort of strategy for me.. Is this how they treat people?. Thank fcuk i didn't call while i was at or before work.. Fairly fell apart. asked for further appt to explain this to me, wasn't really given an answer. Honestly not sure what way this is going.

I called the psych outpatients today, haven't had my appointment letter.. Was told they were discharging me.. I'm in shock. I was pretty bad with suicidal thoughts at last appointment, have been in hospital twice getting wounds treated within the last year and, i felt, hadn't really formulated any sort of strategy for me.. Is this how they treat people?. Thank fcuk i didn't call while i was at or before work.. Fairly fell apart. asked for further appt to explain this to me, wasn't really given an answer. Honestly not sure what way this is going.

That's not right, you should be getting a priority appointment considering your suicidal thoughts. Ring therm and tell them you need help and tell them how you feel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

That's what i figure, i've been quite honest and said i can't envision my life ending any other way, that every time i cross a bridge i've to avoid looking at the water, that it's not daily but hourly in my thoughts, and that would be on a good day. Maybe i'm stating all this too rationally for them, but if i didn't prepare myself a little it'd be a silent appointment - surely that's worse? Gah. Real confused by it..

That's what i figure, i've been quite honest and said i can't envision my life ending any other way, that every time i cross a bridge i've to avoid looking at the water, that it's not daily but hourly in my thoughts, and that would be on a good day. Maybe i'm stating all this too rationally for them, but if i didn't prepare myself a little it'd be a silent appointment - surely that's worse? Gah. Real confused by it..

Yeah I don't blame you. If they are not helping then I would go to my gp and explain to them that they have discharged you even though you are having suicidal thoughts. If the gp has any level of intelligence he/she will sort this matter out by contacting the mental health services on your behalf.

• Advertisement

Thankfully my gp is cool so that won't be a problem, but i just truly can't believe that with all the stuff i've pretty much only managed to verbalise with them, they see fit to jettison me.. I haven't even seen the same psych doc more than three times in a row let alone the head of department which was promised for sometime this year..

I can't begin to explain how totally deflated and let down i currently am.. Properly stunned, i mean i actually thought earlier, should i have been lying to them and presenting with more severe symptoms, ridiculous i know, but what do i have to do here....

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Any good links for this? Thanks

Robert Smith, who developed Faster EFT has put hundreds of videos on You Tube, so it's possible for you to get an idea of what is involved. I would recommend using a therapist for a couple of sessions if you can afford to, but the technique is very simple and it won't harm you if you want to try to do it yourself. There are a few therapists around the country but they can conduct sessions over Skype if you can't get to them. The technique is also known as tapping and there are variations, we started off with EFT (emotional freedom technique) which was very good but we have found Faster EFT better.

I have not used the Dublin therapist I have linked, but her website is better than the guy we used and I think it gives a better idea of what it does. The first link is Robert Smith's own site.

http://www.fastereft.com/

http://www.fastereftdublin.com/

This is an article that was in the Daily Mail just this week.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2540469/Alternative-tapping-therapy-favoured-Lily-Allen-used-NHS-treat-anxiety-depression.html

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi, just wondering, have antipsychotic medications enabled any of you to live a normal life, as in going to work, being good at your job, doing the everyday things, or do you find they zombify you?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

In a bad bad place all day. Up and down for weeks and now just feeling pretty suicidal. Need to get work done for a project tomorrow. It's a group one so I can't put it off but whenever I try do anything I jsut pull a blank and end up crying in frustration. It's almost midnight thought, this needs to be done. More than once I've considered deferring the year but I know realistically I'd never go back, especially not into a class of people I don't know while everyone I know graduates. Also I want to emmigrate when I finish, I don't know what I'd do stuck here for another year. I have the one day off as well this semester so feels like no time to breath. but then when I do get down time I can't get out of my head and end up twice as bad. I can't win.

More and more apparent I need to seek diagnosis and still not doing it. I feel like some invisible force is holding me back. I just can't bring myself to even make an appointment. Have to go tomorrow over a physical issue (been putting this appointment off too). Hoping that will go well so I feel better about going to speak about mental health troubles. Suppose could make another appointment while there or something. I don't know I feel like my thoughts are going round and round in circles. Back to attempting college work.

In a bad bad place all day. Up and down for weeks and now just feeling pretty suicidal. Need to get work done for a project tomorrow. It's a group one so I can't put it off but whenever I try do anything I jsut pull a blank and end up crying in frustration. It's almost midnight thought, this needs to be done. More than once I've considered deferring the year but I know realistically I'd never go back, especially not into a class of people I don't know while everyone I know graduates. Also I want to emmigrate when I finish, I don't know what I'd do stuck here for another year. I have the one day off as well this semester so feels like no time to breath. but then when I do get down time I can't get out of my head and end up twice as bad. I can't win.

More and more apparent I need to seek diagnosis and still not doing it. I feel like some invisible force is holding me back. I just can't bring myself to even make an appointment. Have to go tomorrow over a physical issue (been putting this appointment off too). Hoping that will go well so I feel better about going to speak about mental health troubles. Suppose could make another appointment while there or something. I don't know I feel like my thoughts are going round and round in circles. Back to attempting college work.

Why don't you indeed make that appointment tomorrow while you are there? Then you can get some well deserved help.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 LanaFey

+1 to what lukesmom said- maybe write down what you'd like to say in advance so all you have to do is just read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 FruityCake

How is everyone doing? Day four of Sertraline here... feeling uneasy but nothing I can't handle, nothing like the start up of Prozac!

FruityCake wrote: »
    How is everyone doing? Day four of Sertraline here... feeling uneasy but nothing I can't handle, nothing like the start up of Prozac!

Hey I'm good. Have a psychology session at four today.

Not too bad here, over the past week I've been trying to keep myself busy in the evenings and it's really helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Chiquitita

Good god above why cant my mind just turn off for 5 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Doing good too - am busy with exercise in the evenings too and its great. Steering well clear of booze to see if it affects stomach and skin issues (I don't think it does) and am much better for it, will definitely keep it up another while. Am taking a tonic too and some meds for skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Chiquitita wrote: »
    Do you have any breathing techniques or anything that might help?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Chiquitita wrote: »

At the risk of sounding religous (I am not) 'god' within, the infinitesimal point at your core that cannot be touched can give relief.

I was thinking, you know how cool it would be to own an extremely sophisticated robot where you could control it and take it in any direction at any time, just sitting back inside a cozy control room with a couple of instruments. Forward on the stick. Robot moves forward. Left. Robot moves left.

Imagine the exploring ye could do!

Errrpp. Errrrp. (robot noises)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Chiquitita

Thanks for replies.

Started xanax as a temporary measure, .25. Takes them a while to kick in though and the inbetween is when I have the panic.

Call me jimmy your post made me laugh though :)

Id love someone to come slap some sense into me...any takers.
    Im cracking up! F''cking aaaarrggggg!!!!
    head and hormones( sorry men) all over the place.
    Sad angry irritated. I want to tear my hair out.
    Have counselling tomorrow not at all prepared. Haven't done any of the work I was supposed to do all week.

Feeling fairly bad this morning. It's so frustrating that such frivolous things (in this case, not receiving a text back from someone- how silly is that!) can just send me on a spiral of disastrous thinking (this person not texting me = this person hates me = everyone hates me) that has me ending up in tears or having a panic attack.

I wish I could just go about things the way everyone else in the world seems to be able to. It's annoying waking up in the morning and not knowing if this day will go fine or if I'll react badly to some completely mundane event and everything turns sh*tty. On top of that, it's exhausting.

I can try and keep myself busy/occupied but as soon as I'm alone all the crappy thoughts start flooding in.

I hope I can start counselling soon as I really need to change my way of thinking and how I react to things.

In work now trying to hold it all together.

LanaFey wrote: »
    Feeling fairly bad this morning. It's so frustrating that such frivolous things (in this case, not receiving a text back from someone- how silly is that!) can just send me on a spiral of disastrous thinking (this person not texting me = this person hates me = everyone hates me) that has me ending up in tears or having a panic attack.

I wish I could just go about things the way everyone else in the world seems to be able to. It's annoying waking up in the morning and not knowing if this day will go fine or if I'll react badly to some completely mundane event and everything turns sh*tty. On top of that, it's exhausting.

I can try and keep myself busy/occupied but as soon as I'm alone all the crappy thoughts start flooding in.

I hope I can start counselling soon as I really need to change my way of thinking and how I react to things.

In work now trying to hold it all together.

Yes I do this behaviour too, letting my mind go into overdrive sparked off by the smallest thing. The psychologist im seeing is teaching me how to sit and 'observe' my thoughts. Then ask myself if a good friend or relative was feeling and thinking this way, what advice would I give them? You should write down all this too. All the thoughts you are observing and how you would treat your friend if these were her/his thoughts? I can't emphasise how much this is helping me. But it has to be written out. The theory is that you can only concentrate on one thing when you are writing, so it allows your mind to quiet for a little while, while you learn how to speak kinder to yourself.

Cheers lukesmom. That's an approach I really like, and I try adopting it sometimes but the negative part of me often just overwhelms it, which is why I need some external help with it. I'm always harsh and judgmental with myself and so quick to blame myself anytime something goes wrong (or even if I've just convinced myself something is wrong when nothing is!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Have a knot in my stomach since Friday night. I got black-out drunk and thrown out of the club and I haven't been talking to anyone I was with since. I don't know why I got thrown out or what I said or did to anyone and don't want to know. I don't even know how I got home that night or what club I went to. Think it may be time to cut back on the drink. The last few times I've been out I've drank till I blacked out and then kept going. It's not normal. It's just so hard to stop once you start. Is it possible to still be hungover 4 days after?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Yesterday was so so, feeling better today. Actualy went to the doctor today about my leg injurey instead of yesterday (college health unit so not hard to get an appointment) and went grand. Don't know why I get so nervous about going, especially with minor things. I didn't make an appointment to talk about my depression simply because I forgot but I definitely will tomorrow. Stayed home yesterday, partly because I was in a lot of physical pain but also because I couldn't face leaving the house. Came to a realistation though that hiding from the world just makes things worse since it's all still there the next day. Sounds like common sense but something I never really though of before.

Been suffering from compulsion for the last few months and was just presuming they were a side affect of anxiety. They've been getting a loss worse though lately and I'm beginning to think I might have low level OCD or something similar so considering getting that checked out as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement