Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Break glass system

• 04-09-2015 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone seen the new emergency break glass units now fitted on New DB buses .
    Looks likes several coke bottle lids fixed to the 2 of 3 windows of the buses that you hit to break the window in an emergency,
    Slightly odd looking set ,
    Wonder if there fitted with a pyro charge

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It does away with the need to have hammers next to the windows which were the target of vandals and hooligans. the same system is on the new batch of Bus Éireann coaches, there is a plastic strip which must be pulled away before the button is struck. I think it is a simple strike button without any charge but could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I think it is a simple strike button without any charge but could be wrong.

Your correct the system is called "Safe T punch"
    It's really simple and effective no bus mods or tools required to fit or use in an emergency

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

• Registered Users Posts: 78,235 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Gatling wrote: »
    Wonder if there fitted with a pyro charge
    Let's not speculate on such things. I imagine blades are much more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Victor wrote: »
    Let's not speculate on such things. I imagine blades are much more likely.

Moderator[/b]

I replied to foggys post saying he was correct it's a simple strike button with a punch built in .
    Apologies for causing concern

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It does look much easier to break the window for vandals and hooligans than the hammer system though.

The windows are surprisingly hard enough to break otherwise. I saw a fit, grown male once on AV384 in Tymon with a sustained effort trying to kick one out from the inside upstairs and it stood firm.

Advertisement