Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Transport Operators want peak-time Free Travel restricted

• 31-08-2015 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/peak-time-restrictions-sought-on-free-travel-scheme-1.2334418
    State transport providers have privately sought the introduction of rush-hour travel restrictions for holders of free travel passes as part of a review of the scheme.

A Government working group is reviewing the future of the free scheme, which allows up to 1.2 million people – or 25 per cent of the population – to travel for free on public and some private transport.

Despite rising passenger numbers, funding of €77 million for the scheme has been frozen at the same level for the past five years.

About time they demanded it....suspect it will won't happen short term but more funding will be allocated coming up to the election...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/peak-time-restrictions-sought-on-free-travel-scheme-1.2334418

About time they demanded it....suspect it will won't happen short term but more funding will be allocated coming up to the election...

"Sources familiar with the review of the scheme say some State transport providers support a reintroduction of restrictions which would allow them to raise additional revenue."

"“Having fully protected the free travel scheme during difficult budgets, and now that there is room for investment in services generally, the free travel scheme will be protected and not be undermined in any way,” the spokesman said."

Won't happen going by the two paragraphs I posted from the article and can't see a restriction from the 60's or 70's been reimposed at all

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Gatling wrote: »
    "Sources familiar with the review of the scheme say some State transport providers support a reintroduction of restrictions which would allow them to raise additional revenue."

"“Having fully protected the free travel scheme during difficult budgets, and now that there is room for investment in services generally, the free travel scheme will be protected and not be undermined in any way,” the spokesman said."

Won't happen going by the two paragraphs I posted from the article and can't see a restriction from the 60's or 70's been reimposed at all

Yes but more funding will be given and I expect that will do them. This is the first time operators have spoken up about it well CIE ones any way.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    This is the first time operators have spoken up about it well CIE ones any way.

They have been saying it for the last 4+ years .
    Most of the other operators are only accepting ftps recently compared to cie /ir

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

How does a private operator get paid for someone using the ftp? Is it an annual payment or per journey?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

1.2 million people have "free" travel. It's unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

One thing the politicians know for sure - give the older people something and you take it back at your peril. When Charlie McCreevey was Minister for Finance and running out of ideas about how to spend the budget surplus, he announced that everyone over 70 could have a medical card. A few years later after the crash there was uproar when the Govt. said they would reintroduce a means test for it. They have since gone half way and given them free doctor visit cards.

Voter turnout among the older population is very high, they have long memories and are not to be messed with.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    How does a private operator get paid for someone using the ftp? Is it an annual payment or per journey?

Annual payment. I suspect with the smartcards that could change - if they find some services being used rarely anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

To be honest its not the Old People that should be restricted they're all legitimate of course its the REST (ie. Junkies, Unemployed, Supposedlydisabledbutnotactuallydisabled) that need to be restricted. Its the latter group that in recent years that has exploded in terms of pass numbers and at this point you cant be suprised that they'd want some restrictions imposed expecially since it was originally restricted in the 1st place and was done away with via political interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Infini2 wrote: »
    To be honest its not the Old People that should be restricted they're all legitimate of course its the REST (ie. Junkies, Unemployed, Supposedlydisabledbutnotactuallydisabled) that need to be restricted. Its the latter group that in recent years that has exploded in terms of pass numbers and at this point you cant be suprised that they'd want some restrictions imposed expecially since it was originally restricted in the 1st place and was done away with via political interference.

I thought with the new passes things would get a bit better but what needs to happen is actuall proper checks such as revenue/social welfare actually going out and checking buses and trains to weed out the genuine from the ones that are working but still holding passes.

I come across many and have found a lot of older people using the spouse pass to bring along a mate.

This is only a recent thing and also happening with new pass as they seem to think the 2 on paper pass means ah sure I can bring anyone with me.

It would be a very good idea for restriction on non pensioners but will anyone in our government have the back bone to actually implement something that would make sense.

The problem I can see coming up is oh the poor addicts need the pass to get in to get their free methadone and then proceed to wander around the city screaming, shouting, pi##Ing, sh##Ing and fighting. Its a lot like the walking dead. oh and shooting up anywhere they like and also openly dealing as I see numerous times a day.

I have to deal with them every day and the worst is especially being a passenger on train or bus and then having to put up with all their crap while they go home or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I have to deal with them every day and the worst is especially being a passenger on train or bus and then having to put up with all their crap while they go home or whatever.

So you'ld have no problem with a methadone/treatment centre setting up beside where you live, to reduce the need for patients to travel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

So you'ld have no problem with a methadone/treatment centre setting up beside where you live, to reduce the need for patients to travel?

So they only use it to travel to and from the methadone clinic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What does this post even mean.

Plenty of space and places there can be treatment centres where it would affect bvery few in such cases not have one in a built up or residential area.

Where in my post did I say anything of the sort to get your reply.

Do you work with them or travel with them?//

• Registered Users Posts: 28,980 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I thought with the new passes things would get a bit better but what needs to happen is actuall proper checks such as revenue/social welfare actually going out and checking buses and trains to weed out the genuine from the ones that are working but still holding passes.

I come across many and have found a lot of older people using the spouse pass to bring along a mate.

This is only a recent thing and also happening with new pass as they seem to think the 2 on paper pass means ah sure I can bring anyone with me.

It would be a very good idea for restriction on non pensioners but will anyone in our government have the back bone to actually implement something that would make sense.

The problem I can see coming up is oh the poor addicts need the pass to get in to get their free methadone and then proceed to wander around the city screaming, shouting, pi##Ing, sh##Ing and fighting. Its a lot like the walking dead. oh and shooting up anywhere they like and also openly dealing as I see numerous times a day.

the other side to the argument is that if you restrict the passes for these people rates of muggings may increase. i'm not suggesting that would or wouldn't be the case but i can see why some may believe it.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

the other side to the argument is that if you restrict the passes for these people rates of muggings may increase. i'm not suggesting that would or wouldn't be the case but i can see why some may believe it.

If you are not suggesting it why bother even mentioning it? You are at best implying it.

And people wonder they these threads never work out

• Registered Users Posts: 28,980 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

If you are not suggesting it why bother even mentioning it? You are at best implying it.
    what are you on about. i stated it was the other side of the argument, and that i wasn't sure i agreed with it. read it again, its very clear

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

What you're saying, is like saying "I know a lot of people think he is incompetent, but I couldn't possibly comment."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

what are you on about. i stated it was the other side of the argument, and that i wasn't sure i agreed with it. read it again, its very clear

Ok I read it again and I stand by what I said.
    Let me give you another example of what you did;
    A lot of people(not me) have expressed an opinion that you are an idiot. I however am not saying that I agree or disagree with those sentiments. (Hypothetical of course)
    Now if someone was to make a comment like that would you not think that someone was implying that you were an idiot, I know I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Many of the people with free travel on medical / disability grounds, have a genuine mental illness or intellectual disability, and are decent people deserving of free travel. There is however, a very visible and audible minority who make life miserable for fare paying passengers. Many of these have their status because their doctors feel, rightly or wrongly, intimidated. These antisocial elements should be challenged by the authorities, and have their travel perks withdrawn for bad behaviour. I accept that some will then travel illegally, as these individuals expect society to provide all their needs and wants, but unless the system stands up to them, they will continue to make public transport less attractive, with negative effects to fare revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I wish they would introduce time restrictions on DART, Dublin Bus and Luas services. Its ridiculous a FT holder can be on congested Luas for free, while everyone is trying to get it to work. Its not reasonable to expect them to use it between off peak hours.

I find it ridiculous how over priced student travel is here compared to Germany or France. A semester ticket in a German College city is about €60 for a term. Thats 3 weeks on Dublin Bus with student capping. I cant understand how all the BS language schools(the work Visa Factories) students are allowed to get Student tickets, when only official third level institutions in Germany are allowed them

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Here might be a solution than the haranguing of disability and addicts and over 60s ---> it could be just funded instead of costly fleet replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

dfx- wrote: »
    Here might be a solution than the haranguing of disability and addicts and over 60s ---> it could be just funded instead of costly fleet replacements.

Given that a 12 year life cycle is the industry norm for replacing bus fleets, I don't really see changing that as an option.

Having a modern fleet is something that is necessary to attract new customers.

Add to that the fact that it comes from a completely different budget.

Industry norm is something that can and has been extended when required. Could/should be done again. Is the 12 years figure an arbitrary value or what is it based on?

Either way, a modern fleet is very much secondary to the dignity of old people not being means tested or deciding whether someone is 'really disabled enough' to warrant free travel.

It seems we're happy to splash hundreds of millions of euro, government money, on new buses yet means test 60 year olds to board them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

You'd get feedback/pressure from traders too, no doubt. Places like Dún Laoghaire, South County Dublin, would be worse than they are if free travel pass users were discouraged from going out and about.. I'm quite sure you'd see a ripple countrywide, in daytime spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

While I agree there are plenty of people who abuse free travel, I have a sister with intellectual disabilities who available of a free travel pass. She attends a prosper training centre 5 days a week and travels at a peak time (8.30am) to get there. Her training centre is her lifeline to the world, it provides her with the opportunity to learn new skills and is the focal point of her social life. Why should she be restricted from getting where she needs to go? The problem here is more about allocation of unnecessary free travel passes.

For what it's worth, while its a little bit off topic, I don't think there should be methadone clinics anywhere. Methadone should be dispensed by the addicted persons local GP. Takes centralisation out of it completely.

Industry norm is something that can and has been extended when required. Could/should be done again. Is the 12 years figure an arbitrary value or what is it based on?

Either way, a modern fleet is very much secondary to the dignity of old people not being means tested or deciding whether someone is 'really disabled enough' to warrant free travel.

It seems we're happy to splash hundreds of millions of euro, government money, on new buses yet means test 60 year olds to board them.

I would argue that is a completely different issue - as I said they come from different budgets.

Having a modern fleet is one key aspect of potentially getting people out of their cars.

As for means testing 60 year olds, I suspect no government would have the courage to do that as it would mean political suicide.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

For what it's worth, while its a little bit off topic, I don't think there should be methadone clinics anywhere. Methadone should be dispensed by the addicted persons local GP. Takes centralisation out of it completely.

I know a GP who used to do exactly that.

The local community protested, about having a doctor who prescribes it in their neighbourhood and said it wshould be done in clinics, not in residential areas.

Can't win.

lxflyer wrote: »
    I would argue that is a completely different issue - as I said they come from different budgets.

Having a modern fleet is one key aspect of potentially getting people out of their cars.

As for means testing 60 year olds, I suspect no government would have the courage to do that as it would mean political suicide.

Different (related) budgets, same source - Dept of Finance, no?

Department of Finance to give more money to Social Welfare, give less to Department of Transport. Declare increase funding of the scheme.

In the run-up to an election, it's remarkable how money is found..

• Advertisement

Different (related) budgets, same source, no?

Department of Finance to give more money to Social Welfare, give less to Department of Transport. Declare increase funding of the scheme.

In the run-up to an election, it's remarkable how money is found..

That's not how government budgets work.

They are strictly by department and if one department loses money they may take years to get it back.

Something else in DSP would have to give here.

Really, I think you are barking up the wrong tree here.

A modern bus fleet is not a luxury, it's a necessity to entice people out of their cars.

Advertisement