Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Go pro or no?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

It comes with a lot of stuff in the box. However head mounts, helmet mounts,chest mounts, poles all need to be bought separately. They range from about 25 to 60 euro each

Don't buy all the GoPro branded accessories, they're a complete rip-off, get the non-branded stuff on eBay for 1/4 the price.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Comes with just about everything. Check out the versions available. Standard, Surf, and Music. Different mounts with each. I think the surf used to come with a suction mount but now comes with a specific surf mount.

http://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/cameras/hero4-silver/CHDHY-401-master.html

You get way less in the box these days for your money :(

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Rew wrote: »
    You get way less in the box these days for your money :(

Yea I had a head mount with my hero 2 but not with the 3. I only ever used it to strap it to my leg.

Yea I had a head mount with my hero 2 but not with the 3. I only ever used it to strap it to my leg.

You basically get nothing but a few sticky mounts these days which is pretty **** considering a year ago you at least got the remote if you forked out for the Black edition. Unless you know you really need it I wouldn't bother getting a hero 4. The 3+ is just s good for most things and has longer battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

The remote was a waste I thought. Battery used to die so fast and it was just another thing I didnt need in my pack.

If it's being bought as a present and for skiing get a few spare batteries. The Wasabi brand ones are pretty good and cost way less than the GoPro ones. There are one or two horror stories of them exploding and wrecking gopro's but not many. Most reviews positive and I find them great.

Unfortunately GoPro are offering less and less in the box and charging a load for the extras.

• Advertisement

CardinalJ wrote: »
    The remote was a waste I thought. Battery used to die so fast and it was just another thing I didnt need in my pack.

If it's being bought as a present and for skiing get a few spare batteries. The Wasabi brand ones are pretty good and cost way less than the GoPro ones. There are one or two horror stories of them exploding and wrecking gopro's but not many. Most reviews positive and I find them great.

Unfortunately GoPro are offering less and less in the box and charging a load for the extras.

I left the remote in the box. Wifi drains the battery. I set up the camera in the morning or at lunch and off I go. There's only two buttons to power it on and start recording. Wasabi are awesome. I use a pole from sp and various other bits and pieces.

Gopro would an amazing gift to receive. Hero 3+ would be a good choice if you can find one at a good price. It wouldn't disapoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

the Sj4000 is just as good and comes with a variety of mounts etc.
    i got mine in around 3 weeks from china for just under £50.
    just be careful not to buy a fake

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    the Sj4000 is just as good and comes with a variety of mounts etc.
    i got mine in around 3 weeks from china for just under £50.
    just be careful not to buy a fake

Ordered a sj4000 2 months ago from what I thought was a reliable Chinese website (who advertise alot here on boards), and still no sign of it :(. They keep fobbing me off with excuses, I'm trying to get a refund but no joy yet, I paid by CC so not much protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

i was a bit worried about something like that happening.
    My order had tracking information , wasnt great but reassuring to know it had left Singapore arrived in Germany etc etc.
    I guess its all the hassle now if it doesn't turn up trying to get refunded.
    Site i ordered from was banggood. They also had a UK warehouse , delivered in a few days for a tenner more.

http://www.banggood.com/SJ4000-Waterproof-HD-1_5-Inch-Car-DVR-Camera-Sport-DV-Novatek-1080P-p-917037.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23 xchancellor

Anyone used the new basic GoPro Hero camera yet?

At €125 for a camera which shoots 1080 30fps and 720 60fps, they will surely sell a ton of these models.

• Advertisement

Remote wasn't that useful skiing alright but you can get creative and ive used it quite a bit for triggering photos (you can actually see it in my hand here):

12367477774_98e9ca205a_c.jpgpool2 by rew1979, on Flickr

I just use the phone. Gives me quick access to all the settings and a preview.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

got the sj4000 from a english seller on ebay took about a week haven't used it skiing yet, video quality is good in irish light I'm wondering how it will handle snow white balance wise photo quality is good too

http://theaccessorypro.com/

This seller/guy is doing a discount on friday for knock off gopro accessories. I got the chest mount from him and it's identical only without the logo but way cheaper.

Worth a look for anyone getting anything before the season starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

For those with the original GoPro. I got one new when they first came out, and although it still works perfectly, I don't think the quality is anything near what it was?? I don't tend to use it on 1080 anymore just because of the size of the files and the amount of them I have, but the colour is always so crap.

It never worked well in low lighting conditions anyway (standard) but now it seems to struggle in good light as well, the colour is always so washed out....

Are there filters I could get to improve this? Or has anyone had similar problems?

Rips wrote: »
    For those with the original GoPro. I got one new when they first came out, and although it still works perfectly, I don't think the quality is anything near what it was?? I don't tend to use it on 1080 anymore just because of the size of the files and the amount of them I have, but the colour is always so crap.

It never worked well in low lighting conditions anyway (standard) but now it seems to struggle in good light as well, the colour is always so washed out....

Are there filters I could get to improve this? Or has anyone had similar problems?

Ive the original HD Hero as well as the 3.

I'd make all of the same observations as you've made there. Much worse in snow or very bright condition.

You can buy some filters to put on the lense that are supposed to make a difference but I dont have em so I'm not sure if theyre any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sayrahkc

CardinalJ wrote: »
    theaccessorypro.com/

This seller/guy is doing a discount on friday for knock off gopro accessories. I got the chest mount from him and it's identical only without the logo but way cheaper.

Worth a look for anyone getting anything before the season starts.

Anyone have any idea how long does it take to have stuff delivered from this site?? They're based in San Diego via UPS!

sayrahkc wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea how long does it take to have stuff delivered from this site?? They're based in San Diego via UPS!

From the US it could be a week or more. Takes longer for me to get stuff from the UK. I bought from them before.

I have just about everything I could use but if looking I'd buy something like this.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/24IN1-POLE-STRAP-ACCESSORIES-HEAD-CHEST-MOUNT-SET-FOR-GOPRO-HERO-2-3-3-4-CAMERA-/191553388356?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c9978bf44

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

I have the new Black Hero 4. If any1 is interested in one let me know

Advertisement