Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Thoughts On Fixies...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

abcdggs wrote: »
    Hope i'm not hijacking the thread, but i'm intrigued. what is this bike polo?
    Pretty much exactly what it says on the tin, polo with bikes rather than horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Pjordanoz

similar to polo on horses but on a tarmac basketball court. I've made a thread about in the the cycling forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

It's fairly similar really... just a way of saying how 'ard you are -I ride 80.8" (oo-er!)

Hmm, with that cog we changed a while back, I think I'm on 90.1 inches!
    That can't be right

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Raam wrote: »
    Hmm, with that cog we changed a while back, I think I'm on 90.1 inches!
    That can't be right

Not even close :) you're 48-17 is it? Which is 74.5" (stock on the Flyer is 48-18 iirc, which is 70.3")

Not even close :) you're 48-17 is it? Which is 74.5" (stock on the Flyer is 48-18 iirc, which is 70.3")

We put a 14 on.

• Advertisement

We put a 14 on.

Really? And you're 48 up front!? In that case you are on 90.4", and are a bit of a hero!

Really? And you're 48 up front!? In that case you are on 90.4", and are a bit of a hero!

Well, I don't like to boast or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Can someone answer me something?

As some of you know I have a Langster, which has a flip-flop rear wheel. When I ride it non-fixed is this not known as freewheel. A lot of people call it single speed but surely when it's fixed it's single speed also as it only has one speed. Am I correct in saying freewheel?

Aquinas73 wrote: »

As some of you know I have a Langster, which has a flip-flop rear wheel. When I ride it non-fixed is this not known as freewheel. A lot of people call it single speed but surely when it's fixed it's single speed also as it only has one speed. Am I correct in saying freewheel?

yeah but it's called singlespeed to distinguish between a bike with derailleurs.

Aquinas73 wrote: »

Single speed freewheel would be the most accurate, but I'd say single speed is fine, cos you're not specifying fixed, it'd be right to assume you were freewheeling all over the place :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Halfrauds

Vitamin C wrote: »
    If somebody has been cycling on the road for years, either of these options are a) something fun and new to try when they might be getting a little bored of the same ol' same ol' or b) a no messing straight forward bike that that is nice to build and nice to ride.

Granted they have become a bit of a statement for some, but as you said yourself this is only a phase.

its just my opinion:D

Id go fixed before Single speed. I think most other people who have been riding bikes for years consistantley would be the same. Each to their own and all that, and the less maintenance is a serious plus to them if you abuse your bikes BUT,

Singlespeed bikes are a fashion statement.....98% of riders are ipoded up when riding, with the ipod on full show:P*

I dont agree with the argument that they give you more time to think as they dont have distractions, if it takes you a second to change gear you must be a disaster on a bike:P.

Gears are the way forward, you just have to avoid gripshift and anything under alivio or sram sx4.

a well maintained, decent bike will be just as quiet and troublefree as a SS or a fixe IMO.

*this isnt a serious statement just taking the wee wee:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Halfrauds wrote: »
    a well maintained, decent bike will be just as quiet and troublefree as a SS or a fixe IMO.

Quite true, never doubted that.

All my bikes are well maintained, but the level of work that goes into the one with gears exceeds the level needed on my fashionista SS.

Rarely needs more than a wipe with a rag to keep it going.

Ok, I cycled down to the shops. My new fixie gripe is struggling with pedal position, I must have looked quite odd wheeling the bike around until I could get the right pedal at 4'O Clock again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

fixed fo' life yo. 48:17.
    DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Ok, I cycled down to the shops. My new fixie gripe is struggling with pedal position, I must have looked quite odd wheeling the bike around until I could get the right pedal at 4'O Clock again.

Aw, bless. Apply your front brake and you should be able to move the pedals (and the back wheel natch) to a position of your choice. Alternatively, reach back and lift the back wheel off the ground by lifting the saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I know, I know.

I was heading out of the petrol station and the kick from the pedals caught me by surprise again. I ended up wheeling it across the empty road and got it second time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Fixies? I'm dead against them, as a lover of both gears and freewheeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭NeilMcEoigheann

niceonetom wrote: »
    reach back and lift the back wheel off the ground by lifting the saddle.
    no don't, sheldon told me not to... something to do with breaking a brooks saddle, plus its not the fixie equivalent of euro to lift the saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Húrin wrote: »
    Fixies? I'm dead against them, as a lover of both gears and freewheeling.

Ah, but you've never actually tried one, have you? So, it would be fair to say that you don't actually know what you're talking about. It's all hypthetical isn't it? Your dislike? How many people in cars have a similarly dismissive opinion of, um, ooh i dunno, cycling perhaps?

no don't, sheldon told me not to... something to do with breaking a brooks saddle, plus its not the fixie equivalent of euro to lift the saddle.

obviously I don't do that. I'm just trying to prevent Dirk from embarrassing us all by scooching forward, straddling his felt, trying to align his pedals everytime he has to set off from a red light.

Brooks saddles? I'm dead against them. I, however, speak from experience. :p

@dirk - grace will come if you give it time. Give it a week or two, it might all click with you and then, grasshopper, you will be one of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭NeilMcEoigheann

obviously I don't do that. I'm just trying to prevent Dirk from embarrassing us all by scooching forward, straddling his felt, trying to align his pedals everytime he has to set off from a red light.

Brooks saddles? I'm dead against them. I, however, speak from experience. :p

@dirk - grace will come if you give it time. Give it a week or two, it might all click with you and then, grasshopper, you will be one of us.
    red lights? but you ride a fixie its un cool to stop at reds..............
    but in all seriousness learn to track stand,
    although if i do put my feet down i just jump both feet back on the pedals and "hoof" the bike forward to get some rotation, not that i put my feet down as i told a guy on a charge plug the other day you loose points for doing that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

i told a guy on a charge plug the other day you loose points for doing that

You are randomly informing people of rules and lack of chain tension !?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Fixed (or indeed singlespeed) definitely require less care and attention while still running nicely, it is a big advantage. Wipe and lube the chain occasionally and you will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Gavin wrote: »
    You are randomly informing people of rules and lack of chain tension !?

Seriously not cool. If they don't know the score then don't talk to them. A disdainful look over your shoulder is all that's required.;)

On giving random advice to other cyclists...
    Nearly every day I pass two particular cyclists. One has her saddle far too high and the other guy pushes far too big a gear and goes nowhere fast. Should I be imparting gems of wisdom or should I keep my nose where it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

On giving random advice to other cyclists...
    Nearly every day I pass two particular cyclists. One has her saddle far too high and the other guy pushes far too big a gear and goes nowhere fast. Should I be imparting gems of wisdom or should I keep my nose where it is?

Bear in mind that you pass them every day and once you 'break the seal' so to speak, it's broken. You'll feel awkward passing them from then on.

Bear in mind that you pass them every day and once you 'break the seal' so to speak, it's broken. You'll feel awkward passing them from then on.

You mean if I talk to them once I'll have to stop for a chat everyday after this? Bummer, I'll never get to work in the mornings now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

+1 you wouldnt want to have to talk to them every time you go past. what if some one saw you talking to those of us who are cycling uninformed... i couldnt bear to think of the shame...

abcdggs wrote: »
    +1 you wouldnt want to have to talk to them every time you go past. what if some one saw you talking to those of us who are cycling uninformed... i couldnt bear to think of the shame...

Tis on the coastal cycle track so there's no danger of being caught by them.
    Maybe I could borrow a beater bike and blend in when I give my sermon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

i'd be going full tactical gear for this kind of op. fake glasses with the nose and moustache connected. you can't be too careful...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Ah, but you've never actually tried one, have you? So, it would be fair to say that you don't actually know what you're talking about. It's all hypthetical isn't it? Your dislike? How many people in cars have a similarly dismissive opinion of, um, ooh i dunno, cycling perhaps?

Well I've ridden my friend's one around the square in my college. Perhaps I should go for a more extended ride before enacting judgement.

I don't understand when some people are anti-dérailleur or anti-fixed-gear. I love 'em both. Each has it's own use. Fixed gear bikes are like chocolate cake. Pure and damn enjoyable. A geared bike is like that same chocolate cake with some cream and raspberry coulis. The cream and coulis can sometimes distract from the tasty cake and are not needed, but man oh man, some days they make that cake go down a whole lot sweeter.

I also love banoffee. It's really easy to make, and even easier to eat. There's always a huge temptation to eat the toffee straight out of the tin. You have to resist that because without the toffee, it's just bananas with cream and digestive biscuits.

I'm hungry now.

Anyway, bikes and cakes... the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

Maybe he hasn't tried one but i have and i think fixies are rubbish too..

Fixies = fashion statement

T

Advertisement