Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Microsoft and Oracle Development Certifications - Truly worth it?

• 23-10-2014 11:24am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So for anyone in the Senior end of their Development career and/or Development Mangers/Team Leads, is it worth obtain an Oracle and/or Microsoft Developer Certification? I do want to proceed with obtaining Certifications, especially in the area of Linux and Databases. How would you rate potential future candidates with (multiple discipline: Dev/Linux/DB/Testing) certifications versus someone without or certifications in one area of IT alone

I'm not on the job hunt yet, but I am wondering would it make any difference at all versus other candidates.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Itzy wrote: »
    So for anyone in the Senior end of their Development career and/or Development Mangers/Team Leads, is it worth obtain an Oracle and/or Microsoft Developer Certification? I do want to proceed with obtaining Certifications, especially in the area of Linux and Databases. How would you rate potential future candidates with (multiple discipline: Dev/Linux/DB/Testing) certifications versus someone without or certifications in one area of IT alone

I'm not on the job hunt yet, but I am wondering would it make any difference at all versus other candidates.

I'm not anything senior yet, but I do know that at least in the microsoft circles, some companies like having people with certificates as it counts towards certified partnership status, which can give the company preferential treatment by Microsoft and makes the company look good, which can make the difference when trying to land the fancier corporate and government/semi-state customers.

Plus it allows them to charge more for your services.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Good to know that certifications would be worth my time.

Advertisement