Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Avensis giving trouble

• 11-07-2012 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have an 04 Toyota avensis strata petrol 1.6, in the last 2 months I have had the gearbox and clutch and new brakes replaced, and lst year I had the shocks and 4 new wheels put onto it. But now im getting this humming/rubbing noise come from the engine when driving it so loud I can hear the music on full blast:confused:. I have tried to raise money to just trade it in but to no avail so im going to have to go and fix it, anyone any suggestion to what it is.
    It appears to be coming from the driver front and sounds like a helicopter on a sound recording i made of it(cant find a mv4 host to upload)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

My first thought was the gearbox, speaking from experience they make the same sort of noise before they eventually go, but you've said that it's already on its second 'box, so perhaps not.

I presume the box in it at the moment is second-hand? Maybe it's on the way out as well?

The plastic cover in the manifold can get loose and cause that kind of a sound, but it wouldn't be so loud that you could hear it through the radio being on.

Does the noise go away when you press the clutch all the way in? If it does, you know it's to do with the gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭sidcon

will check that when driving about the clutch
    I feel like crashing it and claiming the insurance Ive put that much into fixing it in the last year

My first thought was the gearbox, speaking from experience they make the same sort of noise before they eventually go, but you've said that it's already on its second 'box, so perhaps not.

I presume the box in it at the moment is second-hand? Maybe it's on the way out as well?

The plastic cover in the manifold can get loose and cause that kind of a sound, but it wouldn't be so loud that you could hear it through the radio being on.

Does the noise go away when you press the clutch all the way in? If it does, you know it's to do with the gearbox.

Drove it around the block there clutch does nothing to change the sound of it when pressed so I guess im ruling the gear box.
    this is muffled version as phone holder covers mic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDiR33L9QiI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Ok I've listened to it now and I would be fairly confident that it's not the box, which is good news. If it was the box it wouldn't quite sound like that, and it would be there all the time, except when the clutch is fully depressed, as opposed to only being there when the car is on the move.

The plastic cover in the manifold wouldn't be that loud either.

To me it sounds like it could be wheel bearings, or other rotation related component, but I'm sure the more knowledgeable folk will come along and be able to tell you more precisely what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

Pretty much sounds like its coming from the wheels or more likely rubbing tyres. Any clearance issues in the wheel arches? Also check behind the front wheel, could be something hanging freely, rubbing on the alloys/wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭Ardent

Greyfoot wrote: »
    Pretty much sounds like its coming from the wheels or more likely rubbing tyres. Any clearance issues in the wheel arches? Also check behind the front wheel, could be something hanging freely, rubbing on the alloys/wheels.

Haven't listened to the audio but I reckon you're describing a worn wheel bearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

Ardent wrote: »
    Haven't listened to the audio but I reckon you're describing a worn wheel bearing.

Nope, listen to the audio, might recognize what I am getting at. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Spend the money on a better sterio and you won't be able to hear it anymore :)

On a serious note, general wear and tear is expected on even a Toyota, this is just that and servicing the car once/twice a year will mean no suprises

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I also think that it is likely to be a wheel bearing.

What is the mileage on the car?

Thanks folks turns out when they replaced the gears they left bolts off in the engine block which in turn ofter doing a bit of mileage they got loose and hence the sound. The trouble of get a job done cheaply and not through a garage, I know were I'm going in future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement