Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Working in the Black Market

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

ScumLord wrote: »
    "Cash in hand" is just one of the other payment options out here in the wesht.

"Are you paying cash?" is usually one of the first questions when getting a job priced up where I live!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Overature wrote: »
    i wouldn't call it "black market", im sure the majority of people who were offered some small job where they would get away with not paying tax would take it.

I think it's called the grey market when you're talking about cash in hand for otherwise normal services or good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I don't think this is as harmless as some people here like to pretend.

First off tradesmen doing nixers undercuts legitimate self employed or small firms - putting exsisting jobs in serious peril.

They are typically getting paid dole while they are unavailable for legitimate work & they are getting wages on which not tax is paid.

IF (big if I know) we could get rid of or even scale down the black economy there would be guaranteed 100% be more genuine legitimate jobs created.

Meaning less people on the dole and less burden on the taxpaying workers, better services etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Jay D wrote: »
    BLAH BLAH...........

this thread certainly makes me want to go asleep and even a poll, God!n Where's the - seriously, get a life option?
    Seriously, if you don't like - don't post or at least report with an explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Any tax lost as a result of nixers seems insignificant when you compare it to the debts that the banks and developers have left us with.

I can understand some people saying "fuck being honest and paying tax".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I can understand some people saying "fuck being honest and paying tax".

It's understandable as long as they take full responsibility for contributing to making the problems worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

prinz wrote: »
    One of the main reasons Greece went down the tubes. Should not be encouraged. Anyone who operates on a black market basis forfeits the right to complain about the country.

No. The reason Greece went down the tubes is the same reason we are in trouble. Big government.

The country isn't the govt. They'd like you to believe they are one and the same of course.

topper75 wrote: »
    No. The reason Greece went down the tubes is the same reason we are in trouble. Big government..

Big government that over spent. Over spending that could have been cut down a lot by the estimated €30 billion in taxes that wasn't going to the government because of the black market economy.

TheZohan wrote: »
    Then why don't we all draw the dole and do nixers? It would be like a magical utopian society.

Given the magical utopian society our government have provided for us, you know what, I'll take my chances.

Give me back my income tax, all my VAT and my PRSI; I'll go private on health and get my kids some privately contracted teachers. If they don't deliver I'll hire some better ones.

I don't fear the market! Government has us frightened into thinking that it all goes to hell in a handbasket unless we chip into their pile, but when semistate CEOs are paid up to half a million with damn all accountability with expenses and you have clown stooges appointed for banking regulators, I'm happy to ask you guys for a leg up into that handbasket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I wasnt even aware that tradesmen should give you a receipt...great.
    So far, everything we've had done to our house has been paid in cash, there was never another option (and I never asked for one cause it didnt occur to me...). Hm....

• Advertisement

Big government that over spent. Over spending that could have been cut down a lot by the estimated €30 billion in taxes that wasn't going to the government because of the black market economy.

Maybe I misunderstand you point, but you appear to be saying that if they were given more money, then they wouldn't have spent so much money?:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

No. The reason Greece went down the tubes is the same reason we are in trouble. Big government.

Tax evasion is absolutely endemic in Greece. It's not taboo or even frowned upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Morlar wrote: »
    ~That's just funny :

That money was just "resting" in my account before I moved it on :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Tax evasion is endemic in a lot of places. But if there was a major clampdown on doing nixers and so on... Damn, the place would near collapse as people would turn to crime and so on in order to feed their families and stuff... It's a tough one, but a problem that is unlikely to go away any time soon.

Maybe I misunderstand you point, but you appear to be saying that if they were given more money, then they wouldn't have spent borrowed so much money?:confused:

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

easyeason3 wrote: »
    No I don't see anything wrong with it.

Probably a lot more people signing on & doing nixers than ever before.

Can be the difference of a family eating so why would you begrudge anyone that?

Stay off the fags and booze and you can easily live on the SW if you have any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

One of the main reasons Greece went down the tubes. Should not be encouraged. Anyone who operates on a black market basis forfeits the right to complain about the country.

Still spreading those lies prinz ;)

As far as I'm aware with small jobs it is legal in that they give written receipts instead of through the office, I could be wrong I just remember hearing that & have no source, anybody interested should google or ring their ombudsman...

Still spreading those lies prinz ;)

As far as I'm aware with small jobs it is legal in that they give written receipts instead of through the office, I could be wrong I just remember hearing that & have no source, anybody interested should google or ring their ombudsman...

What's that about?:confused:

I always offer to pay cash in had and if I can get cash in hand I always take it. It pains me to give a penny to the government.

Each time a cash in hand job takes place, a little puppy dies.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I always offer to pay cash in had and if I can get cash in hand I always take it. It pains me to give a penny to the government.

With respect, that's why we're in this mess in the first place. However, there is an argument to say that because everyone has to spend money, spending generates VAT and duty revenues, so thy're still paying tax. Hell, even dole recipients pay 21% tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

ejmaztec wrote: »
    What's that about?:confused:
    As far as I'm aware with small jobs it is legal in that they give written receipts instead of through the office, I could be wrong I just remember hearing that & have no source,
    anybody interested should google or ring their ombudsman...

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

I don't really care as long as they aren't on the dole at the same time. I wouldn't mind if it was every now and then on the dole just not a daily/weekly thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

TBH if someone is doing the odd bit of casual work as a second job and are not paying tax its probably as much down to not wanting the hastle of dealing with the paperwork than actual greed on their part.

And tax evasion is not necessairly the only possible motivation for a preference for cash. Some people just dont like dealing with banks (theres quite a lot of it about lately) and make a point of doing so as little as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭vonnie10

I've worked as a nanny for cash in hand and i don't feel guilty about it. I'm a college student and she paid me peanuts for the work that i had to do so if i paid tax out of it it would not have been worth my while at all. I don't see anything wrong with doing an odd job here and there for cash in hand but if someone is earning a good living out of it then its wrong cos these people will be availing of a lot of state run services such as schools, gardai hospitals etc. But i don't see anything wrong with a bit of cash in hand work to help people along if they are on the dole cos i'd say it would be near impossible to keep a family going on the dole alone . But i don't support people taking advantage of the system

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It really comes down to amounts and whether the person evading tax is working or on the dole.

Working and fixing cars on the side for less than 100 a week = fine imo.
    On the dole and fixing cars on the side for more than 100 a week = not fine imo.
    *numbers may have to be adjusted but you get my point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Given the magical utopian society our government have provided for us, you know what, I'll take my chances.

Give me back my income tax, all my VAT and my PRSI; I'll go private on health and get my kids some privately contracted teachers. If they don't deliver I'll hire some better ones..

Right you can have all your taxes, VAT and PRSI back.

So how do you drive down to the shops to buy groceries? You can't use the roads as the taxes you've paid went towards those....and that's just the start of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

TheZohan wrote: »
    Right you can have all your taxes, VAT and PRSI back.

So how do you drive down to the shops to buy groceries? You can't use the roads as the taxes you've paid went towards those....and that's just the start of it.

Online shopping?

Advertisement