Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2010 HSE Ambulance Service Recruitment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dowdy.87

maltam wrote: »
    Got my letter today, i did very well (top 5) ... I would like to offer my support to those who didnt make it .... This is my third time trying to get on to a panel under the current recruitment style the HSE are using.. before it i made two attempts..

To anyone unlucky - try again ... pm me for help when it comes up again...

To the lucky ones - Enjoy!

And to my family - thats for the support - it paid off this time!

Maltam
    Hello,
    first of all well done and I wish you all the best!!!! You should be extremely proud of urself. Im a regular visitor to boards, but have never really posted any comments.I didnt pass the appitute test but im not giving up because I want to be a paramedic so bad. Im doin an EMT course after xmas. I was wondering did you get help in preperation for the appitute test?Also if you have any useful tips I would be very grateful,
    Thank you in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 quann900

Hey dowdy

The EMT course, (I presume you are paying for it privately) will give you a good grounding and on completion gives you access to the private ambulance companies. I will say that they are inundated with applications so the more qualifications and licenses you have the better, i.e D1, C1, CPC (D1), manual and patient handling, stress management, child protection. etc etc
    The only way to pass aptitude tests is practice, get the books, run through all the chapters, start timing yourself on tests. Put yourself under pressure.
    A lot of people are able to get through the theory but getting the licences is holding them up, they fail first time then have to wait 8 weeks for the next test., You need to be in this for the long haul.
    Trust me, I am employed by a private ambulance company and got into the 30's on the HSE panel. A lot of work, I am hoping it will be worth it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Griffindore

Hi All, finally the brown envelope arrived. I'm delighted to have made the panel but would've hoped for a better placing......not complaining though. Is the next step the official offer of a place only for the first course in March and the rest of the panel waits or do they offer for the course that's running later in the year aswell? Either way, a BIG well done to everyone and sorry for those that didn't make it.
    All that's left to do now is sit back, eat, relax and enjoy the Christmas. Best of luck in 2011 to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

Best of luck to everyone who got panelled even if it is low down the panel placements. Not everyone who panelled will take up the offer so ye might move up the placings if this happens. In relation to the money side of things as my colleague Coolmoose has said try not to worry, extended duty more than makes up for it.

The easy part shall we say is done, now the hard work begins with studying, course, clinical & ambulance placements etc. The best advice I could give anyone is to keep their head down & DO NOT get involved in all the local station politics at least until ye got your probationary period complete.

As per Coolmoose, any questions just ask or send a pm.

Happy christmas to everyone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I personally would prefer if questions were asked in public. After all, it is a discussion forum, and I would like everyone to benefit from answer of experienced professionals. Who knows, others could have the same question(s) in mind!

Have a Merry Christmas guys, and fingers crossed that 2011 brings good things to all you hopefuls out there.
    buzzman wrote: »
    As per Coolmoose, any questions just ask or send a pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jasonm

Postman has been and gone all week no letter! I rang on Thursday and placed 23rd so hopefully will be offered a place on the first course. Congrats to all who made the panel and dont give up those that didnt.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone. Hopefully see some of you in Feb or March:D

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

Congratulations to all of you who got placed, and to those of you who didn't, don't let it get to you, recruitment will more than likely take place again next year!

To those considering applying next year, get cracking on the C1 and D1 licences (might as well get them both done!) and go speak to lads and lassies in your local stations!

Next step for those of you on the panel will be an offer to the first number of candidates for the first class. Offers will only be made to those people, and the rest of the panel will remain until further classes are decided upon, and further offers will be made then at that time.

Again, well done to all of who placed, even if you're low down on the panel don't despair, not everybody will take up an offer so even those in the 30s/40s or so could get offers for the first class!

Have a safe Christmas all, and hope 2011 brings good news to all of you!

Any questions regarding the process from here on ask away, and myself or buzzman will do our best to answer as per usual!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Gebbo

halpers wrote: »
    I made it in the 90's! Does any one know will they definately use the whole panel or will they only keep the panel for a year and start recruitment again??

i dont know but id imagine they'll use the whole panal! i know they say theres no guarantees but they used up the full one last year as far as i know so id say they cover themselves by not guaranting placement but i rekon its highly likely...i hope so anyway!

Also any one here not have their Original Levaing Certificate? i have an offical statement of results from the education department which they claim has to be accepted for everything and it got me as far as the interviews etc so im hoping i can still use that..just they can be so sticky its a bit of a worry?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Mossie1m

Hi All, Firstly well done to everyone that got through, i got in at 101 on the panel. I was a little disappointed with my result as i thought i did a good interview, anyway that aside i am delighted to be on the panel. I rang Manorhamilton to see what the plan is for 2011 and i was told that they propose to hold 4 classes over the year and there was just over 100 placed on the panel to allow for drop outs. I just scraped in:). There will be 24 Candidates per class and there is a few candidates still to go in from the existing panel. The first class is proposed for march. All the best to everyone who got in and to those who didnt keep trying, it will happen for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Mossie1m

Tech Dave wrote: »
    Firstly sorry to the people who didn't get it but it's looking positive for another recruitment especially with the problems of "on call". I came in the 90's if that gives you an idea! any word on class sizes and start dates!
    Hi Dave, i got in at 101 so may be in a class with you, well done, it will be a long wait for us but at least we are in now, well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Tech Dave

Well done Mossie1m! i'd say we should be in the same class as long as all the checks go ok! it's hard to know how long the wait could be but with two schools the wait might not be that long! Manorhamilton hardly gave rough dates for the classes? Does anyone know is it just the next class that gets called for medicals or does everyone get called?

Generally just the next upcoming class called for medicals at the one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ibmcc

Hi All, got through the interview stage ,late 80,s,.

Does anyone know exactly what is required as regards Police clearance from the Uk.

Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DrMicrobe

Hi Everybody,
    I think that I may be arriving a little too late to the party here :) but I really want tobecome a paramedic as was wondering what do you need to do. I am 21 and was doing an apprenticeship but lost my job when things went bottom up in the industry.
    I have volunteered for the last 18 months with the order of malta and recentley completed my EMS course and would like to know what do I need to do to become a paramedic?
    Is it true that you need a leaving cert as I started my apprenticeship after my junior cert?
    Id appreciate any guidance lads and well done to those who got on the training course :)
    Thanks again

DrMicrobe wrote: »
    Hi Everybody,
    I think that I may be arriving a little too late to the party here :) but I really want tobecome a paramedic as was wondering what do you need to do. I am 21 and was doing an apprenticeship but lost my job when things went bottom up in the industry.
    I have volunteered for the last 18 months with the order of malta and recentley completed my EMS course and would like to know what do I need to do to become a paramedic?
    Is it true that you need a leaving cert as I started my apprenticeship after my junior cert?
    Id appreciate any guidance lads and well done to those who got on the training course :)
    Thanks again

See here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055986379

Yes, you will need Leaving Certificate or equivalent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Pebbles!

Hey!

Congrats everybody on results!

I got in number 15, delighted! all the hard work finally paid off in the end! Roll on dub in March, put a few faces to the names!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭emtally

ibmcc wrote: »
    Hi All, got through the interview stage ,late 80,s,.

Does anyone know exactly what is required as regards Police clearance from the Uk.

Any help appreciated.
    hi, i'd get on to scotland yard re the pnc check, it takes 40 working days from them receiving the £10 required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 redpoppy

Hi,

I have sent off to the MET London for a PNC printout, I got the receipt back to say they've received it - is that sufficient for vetting for the HSE as I see they've been asking for a Police Clearance Cert, is it the same thing ?

Just wondering if I need to send off to Disclosure Scotland for the cert ?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17 halpers

anyone know how to go about clearance from australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Sparkey84

I am trying to do the aus police check now online. No joy yet but when I figure it out I'll post up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Very very happy to be on the panel :D and wasn't expecting it TBH I didn't think the interview went well. Anyone know what's involved in the physical? Off the cigarettes a few months now and been all but sleeping in the gym lately

moose112 wrote: »
    Very very happy to be on the panel :D and wasn't expecting it TBH I didn't think the interview went well. Anyone know what's involved in the physical? Off the cigarettes a few months now and been all but sleeping in the gym lately

It's a medical, not a physical. No physical stuff at all, check BP, BMI, weight, fill out a few health questionnaires, get bloods taken.

That's it! Saying that, stay off the fags anyway! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

coolmoose wrote: »
    It's a medical, not a physical. No physical stuff at all, check BP, BMI, weight, fill out a few health questionnaires, get bloods taken.

Nice one cheers for that coolmoose happy days so :)

Yeah hopefully I can stay off them now been a hard Christmas off them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

coolmoose wrote: »

Anyone know if there is a bmi limit ?

Hi all,

I know I'm being presumptious but I'm just looking for advice on Books or websites that would be worth reading before the training courses. I'm sure like a lot of people its been a while since I studied Biology and Anatomy and dont want to be struggling from Day 1 when ever that may be.

I'm also wondering is it worth buying these books in advance or are these provided during training (to keep or on loan)

Nancy Caroline's 'Emergency Care in the Streets'

Ross and Wilson Anatomy and Physiology in Health and Illness

Anatomy and Physiology for Dummies (I like the simplicity of these to go with the meaty texts)

Many thanks in advance.

jasonm wrote: »
    Hi all,

Nancy Caroline's 'Emergency Care in the Streets'

Ross and Wilson Anatomy and Physiology in Health and Illness

Anatomy and Physiology for Dummies (I like the simplicity of these to go with the meaty texts)

Many thanks in advance.

First two are provided on the course, and are yours to keep. If you really want to do some A&P revision, the Dummies book or another A&P text such as Tortora & Grabowski (Wiley publishers I think) or D&K Inside the Human Body are worth a look.

Alternatively, try to get a loan of either of the first two texts from someone who qualified recently, but I'd advise against studying the actual Paramedic materials as the guidelines and protocols for treatment are not always in line with PHECC CPGs and you'll only end up confusing yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 halpers

Any one any more info on Australian clearance? They emailed me a form not sure if its the corrrect form though? NPC clearance form? If it is this form is it code 30 the right code to fill in? Any help greatly appreciated. I really want to get this posted off tomorrow.

Thanks CM for the advice on the books. Will pop down the local book store and see what they have on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Sparkey84

Just got the forms off this am, hope right ones. There is no international form so the standard npc form, as used for domestic purposes, is the one to go with. I filled it in by putting my Irish address as current and listing my auz address in their prevous addressess section. The code to use in the top right cornor is 30. Only problem I can see is that 5-6 weeks would seem to be the turn around when you include postage. Will this be soon enough? Wee bit worried about that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dm2011

Hi All new to Boards just wanted to ask a question. Does anybody Know if they are going to call anymore of the candidates that finished just outside of the top 200? Thanks

Advertisement