Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 HSE Ambulance Service Recruitment

• 22-03-2010 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

Does anybody within the existing service think there will be NEW recruitment for PTS Staff or Frontline Ambulance Staff in 2010. Lost my job and I need to sit down and think of all possible senarios. I have the EMT, C1 & D1 but need to think is there a potential of a career in the HSE in the next 12-18 months. I tried once about 15 years ago but got into another career but have good experience and a lot of PCRs completed as an EMT throught Vol/Private Bodies. Surley the Govt has to put money into it or is that easier said than done. Are Unions holding up any PTS Service?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm in the same boat. If the HSE doesn't recruit this year I seriously have to consider moving to the UK.

A connected friend of mine rang manorhamilton to ask about recruitment. What he was told was that they have not received any instruction from the NAS to start a new recruitment campaign this year. They still have a panel to recruit from if needed. However this panel expires in May. Again, they haven't received any notice from the NAS but who knows, that may change come May.

There's a lot of rumors floating about, who owns all those brand new PTS ambulances parked up on Mercedes on the Long Mile Road? And are they going to be used? Will the NAS finally be splitting the PTS and Frontline work, and recruiting for same? Is it true that UCD won't accept anyone in Paramedic training anymore without a leaving cert? Thus requiring a new recruitment campaign?

We'll know closer to May/June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

It is, and always has been, a waiting game.

London Ambulance are recruiting at the moment as far as I know, if you're interested?.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭medic780

DubMedic wrote: »

London Ambulance are recruiting at the moment as far as I know, if you're interested?.
    NIAS are still recruiting at the moment if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Elessar

DubMedic wrote: »

I think that is finished now. The UK is moving in the same direction Ireland should be: soon enough you'll only be able to work as a Paramedic if you have a Paramedic degree.

Future direct entry to the national ambulance service requiring a 3 or 4 year degree in paramedic science, resulting in graduate APs? One can dream. Course, I doubt the unions or old-school NAS staff would like this. It's all a closed shop.

Anyway, it's all still a waiting game.

Hey guys any of ye heard rumours that the HSE will be recruiting during april???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

medic780 wrote: »
    Hey guys any of ye heard rumours that the HSE will be recruiting during april???

Yes I heard April recruitment but in saying that I also spoke to a trainee currently on his block release to the hospital and he seems to be under the impression that there will be no contracts for him and his class when they finish training :(

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭murf313

Yes I heard April recruitment but in saying that I also spoke to a trainee currently on his block release to the hospital and he seems to be under the impression that there will be no contracts for him and his class when they finish training :(
    there are no trainees currently on hospital placements. class 07/09 are on 12 week undergraduate ambulance placements. why would they be training us if they were not going to hire us afterwards? dont believe every thing you hear....... also if there was to be a class in april they would be notified by now. 8 weeks notice and all that! hopefully the guys on the panel will hear something soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Boot Leg Mick

come on guys.

They aint gonna be recruiting anybody to do anything for a long long time in Ireland.

Come to UK,

http://www.jobisjob.co.uk/student-paramedic/jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 36 sedgley

I heard from a panelist that the panel is being disbanded as a result of the HSE's rethinking the "good standard of general education" requirement.

Elessar mentioned about UCD's Leaving Cert requirement; perfectly understandable pre-requisite for students going onto a clinical course IMO and I think that it should be a minimum requirement.

As much as I feel for anyone who has gone through the recruitment process just to be left hanging, it seems to have been done arseways by the HSE in the first place so it would probably be best to start with a blank canvas IMO.

sedgley wrote: »
    I heard from a panelist that the panel is being disbanded as a result of the HSE's rethinking the "good standard of general education" requirement.
    "good standard of general education" Do you know what the requirments will be eg. leaving cert with a science subject or just a leaving cert?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Aparently its leaving cert + a science subject.

My mate on the course in inchicore were in nasc on monday training and they were told the director of nasc that he had brought up equivalancy of the course with Ucd and they will accept it as a "science subject" but that the LC is still required in addition to this.

His advice to some of the older students who never did the LC was to go back and do their LC in the evenings.

eireal wrote: »
    Aparently its leaving cert + a science subject.

My mate on the course in inchicore were in nasc on monday training and they were told the director of nasc that he had brought up equivalancy of the course with Ucd and they will accept it as a "science subject" but that the LC is still required in addition to this.

His advice to some of the older students who never did the LC was to go back and do their LC in the evenings.
    Thats a bit of a pain really as I have my leaving cert done and passed but no science subject and it's to late in the year to go back and do one now although I have alot of first aid courses done and passed so maybe they might take them into consideration who knows!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

I guess it all boils down to UCD's idea of equivilancy. They may accept the EMT course as equivilant to a science subject, but it's hard to know seen as the above course I mentioned is a year long inc 30 day's placement's but yet it only counts as a science subject equivalant whereas people on it actually presumed it would cover them *instead* of the leaving cert with it being Fetac level 5

I agree with the Leaving cert + science subject requirement, if it is true. Its a foundation of past academic achievement and the completion of second level education, afterall you are going to third level (UCD) for the paramedic course...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 emtlfc

I think it would be very unfair to disband the current panel on the grounds of these educational requirements. If i was on the panel i'd be absolutely livid and gutted. Why not let the current panel run it's course and then introduce the new educational requirements for future recruitment campaigns? After all there is plenty of top quality paramedics out there without the LC.

emtlfc wrote: »
    I think it would be very unfair to disband the current panel on the grounds of these educational requirements. If i was on the panel i'd be absolutely livid and gutted. Why not let the current panel run it's course and then introduce the new educational requirements for future recruitment campaigns? After all there is plenty of top quality paramedics out there without the LC.

And plenty of incompetent clowns along with them...

wow for some one who wants to be a paramedic in NAS your not having a great start are you?
    :rolleyes:

Good luck with the interview.

I'm sure it will go your way. You obviously have a lot of confidence in your potential colleagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 emtlfc

From my experience incompetent paramedics have been few and far between. Are you saying that the introduction of the leaving cert requirement will eradicate incompetency?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

:eek: i hope that was a bad joke!!!!!

• Advertisement

paraletic wrote: »
    :eek: i hope that was a bad joke!!!!!
    I hope you don't fall into that category paraletic!! :D

But there are, as in any job, incompetent people. I'm not pointing fingers or anything, the vast majority of health board paramedics are good guys, but there are inevitably dreamers, egotists and shoe-ins. Thats all I was saying.

But there are, as in any job, incompetent people. I'm not pointing fingers or anything, the vast majority of health board paramedics are good guys, but there are inevitably dreamers, egotists and shoe-ins. Thats all I was saying.

Health board? you're a little out of date there buddy.

Just because there may be a select few who do not display the characteristics you would like them to, does not mean you get to tar the entire HSE/NAS with a big fat brush.

Just because a Paramedic/EMT may look like they wouldn't be up to the challenge, does not mean that you can simply go out and make statements like that. Don't judge a book by it's cover. Surely you would know that as an EMT.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

when i said:
    - i hope that was a bad joke!

you should have just said:
    - yeah, sorry!

stop digging!;)

"June 1st is the date given to management today for the end of on call. We will not be doing any on call after that. Lets see what happens" got this from abolish ambulance on call page on facebook, if management accept this does this mean that they will have to recruit more????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Seaman999

I have seen a big van over the past few weeks arounf the midlands area-(not an ambo but a big green and white mercedes van) that has AMBULANCE TRAINING UNIT on it and the Phecc logo on the back doors. Is there a pts training course going on somewhere either private or public. There are different people driving it -it was two blokes the last time, and a most easy on the eye blonde today;) I'm waiting for the next HSE paramedic recruitment but if there was a driving course i might do it-handy for the experince/interview.Any ideas folks?

That's paramedic class seven on the driving course. There's a different 3 people on it each week until we are all done. First two days are spent driving the van then we progress to the cen sprinter ambo. Ps il let the blonde know your interested lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Seaman999

thanks for the heads up.my mate on the existing 2009 panel is now off of it as he hasnt got his leaving cert never mind with a science subject-neither have i-i did my junior cert but took a trade after, and nothin moving there at the minute.so no hope in applying for the next hse round even if there was going to be one..fairly gutted now tbh:(-thought it would be easy enough to get in on interview alone rather than brains( even the blonde did it- only jokin wimmin...!) but they seem to be making it more like a medical course now-my dad did the job years ago, and goes back to his old station every now and then- but said most of the students have already been to college and have DEGREES, nvr mind a leaving cert, so the course must be very very hard. so- back to the dole i think for me.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Patrick11

Hi Everyone,

I'm absoutely gutted. My partner was no. 30 on the existing 2009/10 panel for EMT. He was notified last week that he is now dormant on the panel as he doesn't meet the new eligibility criteria. He does not have a leaving certificate as he took up a trade following his junior certificate and achieved an electrical science level 6 Fetac Advanced Certificate which under the National Qualification framework equates higher than a leaving certificate. We are both absoutely gutted over this and do not understand why a National Qualification framework exists in the first place if it is not adhered to and recognised within the HSE Recruitment Sector. I myself am a public servant and cannot understand the reasoning behind this decision. Anyone have any answers.

Advertisement