Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xenon Upgrade Advice

Options
  • 26-10-2014 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭

Have a Hyundai i40 Tourer and find the dip beams absolutely useless. Have paid Hyundai already to re-align them but still useless.
    Upgraded bulbs to Halfords 120% brighter bulbs but only marginally better.

Was thinking of upgrading to Xenon kit, what advice can you give, any recommended kits and recommended installers or is there an alternative I should look at?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

With xenon kits you really do get what you pay for ! Avoid cheap chinese rubbish and go for the more expensive kit. Philips kits are generally pretty good. Very often owners forums are a good place to start, I'm sure you're not the only one that finds the dims in the Hyundai rubbish. Generally around the 6-6500k is the brightest colour without being too blue or yellow and will be well directed nicely with the focal lense in the Hyundai headlight. Most kits are plug and play with even a novice being able to fit, if in doubt your local mechanic or car-fanatic should be able to fit no problem. Not that its a biggie, but generally these kits draw less power so you should be saving more energy. Hope this helps. Ebay is a good place to look too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

Thanks.
    I spoke to a friend of mine today who owns a motor factors and he said the same. He also sells decent quality ones but he said have them professionally fitted due to alignment issues.
    There is an auto electrician beside him so I'll get them to install it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

If you want to fit HIDs you will need to fit an auto levelling system and headlamp washers to make it road legal. If either of those systems is missing, it's an automatic fail in the NCT. You will also need to replace the headlamp units with units suitable for the light output provided by HID bulbs as this is very different to that produced by a halogen bulb.

Thanks.
    Let me put it this way then. Is there an alternative headlight that I can install instead of the two candles that I presently have? Hyundai just say they are fine and have been nothing but useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Philips kits are generally pretty good. Very often owners forums are a good place to start,

Just to advise, Philips do not make a Xenon upgrade kit. The have Halogen bulbs designed to offer more light on the road. Options are 120% more light, 60% more light or 60% more light with a whiter light, 4300k.

Op to change to a proper Xenon it will cost a fortune, bulbs themselves retail in excess of €70 per bulb, some are nearer €160. You would need to change the headlight unit and probably some electrics.

You said you tried Halfords 120% brighter? are they their own brand? I have tried the Philips 100%, now 120%, more light and the 60% and found both to be really good. the standard Philips bulbs offers 30% more than standard bulbs.

(Sorry about the sales talk)

• Advertisement

Just to advise, Philips do not make a Xenon upgrade kit. The have Halogen bulbs designed to offer more light on the road. Options are 120% more light, 60% more light or 60% more light with a whiter light, 4300k.

Op to change to a proper Xenon it will cost a fortune, bulbs themselves retail in excess of €70 per bulb, some are nearer €160. You would need to change the headlight unit and probably some electrics.

You said you tried Halfords 120% brighter? are they their own brand? I have tried the Philips 100%, now 120%, more light and the 60% and found both to be really good. the standard Philips bulbs offers 30% more than standard bulbs.

(Sorry about the sales talk)

I genuinely do not mind any sales talk as long as it works.
    Yes, the bulbs were Halfords own brand. Cost me over €40 for the pair. Not much of a difference over the standard fitted ones.
    Where can I get the Phillips ones?
    Tbh, I'd rather not have to change to xenon. I just want headlights that work. In this day and age, I'd have thought that manufacturers could solve this simple but important feature of their cars but Hyundai don't want to know. They charged me €35 to re-align the headlights that came incorrectly aligned from them! It did improve it but they're still crap.
    I came across a UK forum for Hyundai and they all seem to have the same issue but no real suggestions of a good fix.
    Thanks again for your advice. Much appreciated.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

If the headlight housing is poorly designed and the light is unevenly diffused as a result then changing bulbs will have limited effect. I don't suppose there are any OEM units on the market for that car?

In the event that you want to take your chances with another brand of halogens then I can recommend OSRAM Night Breakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 APDTDI

Chimaera wrote: »
    If you want to fit HIDs you will need to fit an auto levelling system and headlamp washers to make it road legal. If either of those systems is missing, it's an automatic fail in the NCT. You will also need to replace the headlamp units with units suitable for the light output provided by HID bulbs as this is very different to that produced by a halogen bulb.

Autoleveling systems are not a requirement in Ireland (yet). Yes in Northern Ireland and the UK autoleveling is required.

Page 47 NCT Manual

Reasons for Failure

16 Automatic headlamp levelling device not operating or manual
    headlamp levelling device cannot be operated from driver’s seat.
    17 Mandatory headlamp cleaning device not present.
    18 Mandatory headlamp cleaning device not operating.

shane 007 wrote: »
    I genuinely do not mind any sales talk as long as it works.
    Yes, the bulbs were Halfords own brand. Cost me over €40 for the pair. Not much of a difference over the standard fitted ones.
    Where can I get the Phillips ones?
    Tbh, I'd rather not have to change to xenon. I just want headlights that work. In this day and age, I'd have thought that manufacturers could solve this simple but important feature of their cars but Hyundai don't want to know. They charged me €35 to re-align the headlights that came incorrectly aligned from them! It did improve it but they're still crap.
    I came across a UK forum for Hyundai and they all seem to have the same issue but no real suggestions of a good fix.
    Thanks again for your advice. Much appreciated.

Philips are easily available form most motor factors or micksgarage.

I have heard the same issue with the Insigna.

I might give them a go and see.
    Do you know if Halfords sell Phillips or do they only use their own brands?
    If so, they might swap back as I only got them last weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Osram Nightbreakers are worth looking at too. You can buy them in pairs for under €20 in H7 on the likes of ebay.

The problem with buying bulbs on internet, especially the upgrade ones, is the filament gets knows around, and they are thinner on the upgrades, which shortens the lifespan.

Shane, I don't know if Halfords sell Philips, where are you based and I might know a motor factors local to you who might have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Plenty of good motor factors stock Osram Nightbreaker Plus and they're very good IME. About €20-25 for a pair.

The problem with buying bulbs on internet, especially the upgrade ones, is the filament gets knows around, and they are thinner on the upgrades, which shortens the lifespan.

Shane, I don't know if Halfords sell Philips, where are you based and I might know a motor factors local to you who might have them.

I'm based in Kilkenny.

shane 007 wrote: »
    I'm based in Kilkenny.

Autocare either have them or can get them quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Do you have Projector headlamps?
    If they are alligned properly now you should not have to do them again if you fit a HID kit.

This company sells quality kits. >> London Colour
    I know this as I have used several from them with no issues
    Contact them to advise which kit is suitable for your car,
    Well worth the cheap upgrade.

Advertisement