Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Money for the bus..

Options
  • 28-05-2010 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else have these chancers coming up to them regularly using the same old line "do ye have a lend of a euro, i've missed my bus" or something along those lines...

A lot of the time they look respectable enough and you would stop to see what they want, thinking they are looking for directions or something like that and then they out comes that old ****e..

Come up with a better line than that for the love of god!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

Does anyone else have these chancers coming up to them regularly using the same old line "do ye have a lend of a euro, i've missed my bus" or something along those lines...

A lot of the time they look respectable enough and you would stop to see what they want, thinking they are looking for directions or something like that and then they out comes that old ****e..

Come up with a better line than that for the love of god!

What about "have you got a spare euro, I need to top up the credit in my phone so I can get my dole money"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Yeah i do get it when i'm in Dublin,not so much in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

One guy hounding people around Exchequer street last Sunday, "Have ya got a eura" I just shook my head in disgust and walked on. He responded by saying "You could be down on your luck someday too pal". It took all of my control not to turn around and tell him I probably would be down on my luck at some point but if I ended up skagged off my head and couldn't figure out the welfare system it would be my own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

You should put those bus beggars in touch with the crown prince of Nigeria he sent me an email this morning saying as a result of a financial transaction he had a million US dollars that he wanted to transfer into my account.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

There's one particular lad who's a devil for it. His brain is fried on something. Was standing on O'Connell St for a while before and he came up to me, did the change for a bus spiel, told him I had none and away he goes. Not 5 minutes later he was back up to me starting off his spiel all over again.:rolleyes:.. I've had the same lad ask me the same thing on numerous days, O'Connell St, around Busáras, the quays etc etc. The fooker never has change for the bus home poor lad. At this stage I recognise him coming and just say NO before he opens his mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

hey OP,

you go around with your userID on your T-Shirt what can ya expect?! eh?

gizz a quid ya flash git. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure the "bus".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Don't want to sound all right-wing or anything, but if you give them money, they will more than likely spend it on drugs and alcohol (this isn't something that I heard on Joe Duffy, I was told this by someone involved with a homeless charity).

If you want to help homeless people, give the money to a homeless charity instead

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Nope, we run poor people out of town.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Yep, there's this old fella in Cork who wears a suit, caught me out once with the "euro for the bus" line. I didn't fall for it the second time.

I give money (and food sometimes) to homeless people as I pass by, but I don't want anyone invading my space looking for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    You should put those bus beggars in touch with the crown prince of Nigeria he sent me an email this morning saying as a result of a financial transaction he had a million US dollars that he wanted to transfer into my account.....

only a million?? sure you can get that on the spanish lottery. and you don't even have to buy a ticket for that either..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I'm pretty sure that were I to ever be caught in town with no money I'd sooner walk home (around 60-70mins by foot) than beg a stranger for a euro.

If they just came out and said they wanted the money for skag or Dutch Gold or heavenforbid FOOD I might be more inclined to give them something. They're certainly not getting it just so they can use a public convenience at my expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

I had one lad try a whole new angle on it: 'My wife has just had a baby in the hospital and I need a euro for credit for my phone' Said with a thick Dublin accent.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

prinz wrote: »
    There's one particular lad who's a devil for it. His brain is fried on something. Was standing on O'Connell St for a while before and he came up to me, did the change for a bus spiel, told him I had none and away he goes. Not 5 minutes later he was back up to me starting off his spiel all over again.:rolleyes:.. I've had the same lad ask me the same thing on numerous days, O'Connell St, around Busáras, the quays etc etc. The fooker never has change for the bus home poor lad. At this stage I recognise him coming and just say NO before he opens his mouth.

Looks like he cuts his own hair as well, sometimes he gives it a bit too much of trim ! Seen a woman give him a few cents, he said I'll pray for you. He is harmless, strange none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I had one on O'Connell Street wouldn't leave me alone asking for " just even 10 cent", I just said I don't have a ****in job either. Then he was like ohhh sorry man sorry sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

When I used to live around Ranelagh, there was this non-junkie guy,
    middle aged, chubby build and culchie accent.

He asked me once for a quid to get the bus cos his car had broken down.
    No problem, seemed an honest sort, I gave him a quid.

Over the course of the next few years, he tried the same act a couple of times with me and I saw him begging for off others too. Feckin chancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭kiwi123

walking along grafton street and some girl comes up to me and asks for change and i didn't have any at time, so i was like sorry no and she starts abusing me, so rude!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

There is a guy who I encountered on Patrick Street once who comes up to you and says that his flat has been broken in to and that he needs €4 to get to Kildare for work. He seemed pretty geniune but much to my disgust I bumped into him doing the exact same thing a few weeks later.

Having said that when I was a teenager I lost my purse and was stuck in town with no way of going home so I had to ask someone for a quid for the bus. It wasn't a nice experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I dont visit Dublin very often but i was there last month. I walked from the top of O' Connell st. to Trinity to meet the girlfriend. In that short walk I was asked 6 times for money.

I dont know how the fcuk ye put up with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Demonon

I remember in 2003 or something this respectable looking couple asked me for "a lend of a euro" for the bus, I just gave it to them because I had some change. Then they say "actually ya wouldn't have another euro" for the bus we still don't have enough. Some people are never satisfied! I've never bothered giving them anything since, ungrateful bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 dkdavey67

best one I ever had was when I was at central bank one day. a guy I knew from my local area had a junkie brother. anyway he approachs me and gives the old,

" sory bud, me girlfriends pregnant and I need to get the bus to the hospital, have you any spare change"

To which I replied " you dont have a girlfriend, Sam(not real name)"

" you dont know me, me girlfriends in labour"

To which I replied " I know your brother andrew( not real name), I know you and I know you dont have a girlfriend."

then his demeanor changed and he said " ah you know andrew! Give us a fiver then!":rolleyes:
    they just have no shame and theres no point argueing with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Then there was another time some junkie was asking me for 20c, I took out a handful of change to get a 20 and the chancer tried to take it all out of my hand, "I'll taaake the coupla yowro". No you won't. You won't get the 20c now either you ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Scráib wrote: »
    I had one lad try a whole new angle on it: 'My wife has just had a baby in the hospital and I need a euro for credit for my phone' Said with a thick Dublin accent.

Should have replied with "I'd have given you the money if you'd have had the common decency not to breed."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Sure they're everywhere these days, look at this chancer for instance :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I accidentely overpaid on some bus fair last week when out with some friends. The ticket showed I was owed €1.05c and stated I could collect the refund in town somewhere.

Now, it crossed my mind at the time that if someone stopped to ask me if I had a euro, I probably would have just handed them the bus ticket and said "Sure, and you can keep the extra 5c as well!".

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭MardiB

I sometimes give money to homeless people but I hate people begging aggresively. Where I work there are loads of junkies hanging around the bus and luas stops, drinking etc. On my way home this week the usual ' have you got a euro' blah blah, 'give us a spare smoke' etc from a junkie. I replied ' I think I only have change for my fare' Cheeky fcuker starts shouting at me 'you fcuking think or you know' I was fuming. Anyway bus comes, on he gets, going on about forgetting his disability pass. Holds the bus up by argueing with the busman for about 10 minutes. When he gets off starts kicking the bus.

I'm generally sympathetic to junkies, homeless people etc, because their lives must be pretty awful, but his sense of entitlement and utter absence of respect for everything really annoyed me:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

An old woman approached me the other day looking for change to make a phone call, then my bus pulled up and she hopped on in front of me nearly knocking me out of the way. I felt cheated :mad:

Advertisement