Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Working in the Black Market

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Confab wrote: »
    With respect, that's why we're in this mess in the first place. However, there is an argument to say that because everyone has to spend money, spending generates VAT and duty revenues, so thy're still paying tax. Hell, even dole recipients pay 21% tax.
    It has nothing to do with this mess we're in. We're talking about small one off jobs where the bureaucracy of taxing the job would probably cost more than the tax they took in.

The reason we're in this mess is because of the government and bankers and your trying to guilt people who are keeping a few euros out of their coffers so they can't throw it into the magical bank debt that we owe to banks that have no money yet are loaning us money to bail themselves out.

People are dead right to keep this government out of their lives as much as possible, I begrudge giving the government any tax money, I think it's a complete waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It all ends up going towards tax anyway. If I pay someone €100 cash in hand for a job, he will spend that €100 on food, supplies, etc. Some of that will go towards tax. And these suppliers will use the remaining to pay their suppliers and staff, which also leads to more of that €100 going towards tax... and so on the chain continues until the government eventually have the €100... so it's a no win-situation either way and the government are laughing their way to the bank.... oh wait

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Another good reason why cash should be gotten rid of in society!

The amount of fraud having to be covered by the PAYE worker is shocking. I wonder what percentage of their tax goes on covering the holes in the VAT, income tax and dodgy social welfare payments.

I hate the justification that "I'm only taking from the government". Well who the fuck do you think the government then takes from?

Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

jester77 wrote: »
    It all ends up going towards tax anyway. If I pay someone €100 cash in hand for a job, he will spend that €100 on food, supplies, etc. Some of that will go towards tax. And these suppliers will use the remaining to pay their suppliers and staff, which also leads to more of that €100 going towards tax... and so on the chain continues until the government eventually have the €100... so it's a no win-situation either way and the government are laughing their way to the bank.... oh wait

I think you need to read up again on how national economies work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Online shopping?

Online shopping, online working, online everything?

He won't be able to use any vehicle again on a public road and he wont be able to use public transport as that's subsidised by....our taxes.

And with regards to private heath insurance; part of medical bills for non-elective medical treatments is paid for by public coffers. The health insurance is a top up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Each time a cash in hand job takes place, a little puppy dies.:(

She will not take cheques or laser. Awh right!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

There is not much incentive for your average householder not to pay cash...EG. Tradesman comes into your house to do a job costing €100,you have choice for paying him €100(cash) or €113.5(inc. VAT)..most people cant claim the VAT back so you paying €13.5 extra! Money is tight at the moment for most people(unless your cocooned from reality like most of our politicians who earn €100k+ a year)so you cant blame people for asking/paying cash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Well, I would expect to pay less than €100 if they're not putting it through the books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Abrasax

eoin wrote: »
    Tax evasion is absolutely endemic in Greece. It's not taboo or even frowned upon.

The Greeks fiddled. Athens burned.

Advertisement