Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More teacher bashing, when will it ever end?

• 28-03-2012 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0328/teachers-claimed-500m-allowances.html
    Teachers in primary and post primary schools received over €500m in allowances over and above basic pay last year, according to new figures released by Minister for Education Ruairi Quinn.

Allowances for primary teachers came to just under €312.9m.
    Allowances for post primary teachers, including voluntary secondary and community and comprehensive schools, came to €193.2m.
    The figures were released by Minister Quinn to Fine Gael TD Jim Daly.
    Expenses paid to primary teachers included around €140m for qualifications, €103m for posts of responsibility, such as principals and deputy principals, and almost €52m for supervision duties.
    Some also received a "35-year allowance" totalling €6,008,698.
    The allowance for primary teachers teaching in the Gaeltacht came to €1.8m and the allowance for teaching through Irish totalled €2.6m.
    A small number of teachers also received an "island" allowance totalling €53,366.
    In some cases, primary teachers shared €1.97m for being secretaries of Boards of Management, while special education allowances came to €3.5m and secondment allowances accounted for €1.49m.
    At post-primary level, qualifications allowances totalled €90.6m and posts of responsibility allowances came to €70.1m.
    Post-primary teachers shared €24.56m for supervision duties, while the 35-year allowance for them cost €3.87m.
    The allowance for those teaching in the Gaeltacht came to €504,261, while that for teaching through Irish came to €283,439.
    The allowance for being Secretary of a Board of Management came to €455,761.
    There was also a "Children's Allowance" totalling €148,673, Special Education allowances accounted for €753,766 and some post-primary teachers also availed of a secondment allowance totalling €1.6m.

Was just on Facebook and saw that one of my friends (not a teacher) had posted this. :rolleyes:

Obviously we are all getting these extra allowances on top of basic pay and they are extra, and probably far more than we should be getting. Why would you pay a deputy principal or principal more than a teacher for taking on the responsibility of running a school???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mallachyrivers

Exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

If you want to cut the degree allowance then remove the need to have a degree to teach. Then anybody can teach and nobody has to be paid extra. That's a simple and similar logic to where this is going to go.

I am sick of hearing the TC, unions, politicians, journalists and general population saying that we need better qualified teachers, teachers with a masters, teachers who are experts in their field of study. Aside from the desire and challenge of education, where is the incentive to carry out further study when you take away the financial benefit? At 8k and over, you would really want to love education to fork out for a course. That or want to be a principal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Same with radio this morning, people giving out like stink because they do not understand the "allowance" system

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

There is no mention there of the huge amount of those 'allowances' that they recouped in tax !!! My blood is boiling

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Going by the reaction to this, it's not looking good for my degree allowance next year:(.

Degree allowances are core pay, even though they are labelled differently. It's a pity they weren't brought into core pay long ago, because their current status is leaving them wide open for the chop. It should have been pre-empted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

dambarude wrote: »
    Going by the reaction to this, it's not looking good for my degree allowance next year:(.

Degree allowances are core pay, even though they are labelled differently. It's a pity they weren't brought into core pay long ago, because their current status is leaving them wide open for the chop. It should have been pre-empted.
    The unions should have been on about that before it became a problem. You have to question whether they're worth what we pay them.

This should be a non issue mind. Why are people complaining? Teachers get paid more for being better qualified and doing more work. So does everyone else but you don't hear teachers moaning that the managers in Dunnes get more than the floor staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

I heard this on the radio yesterday and laughed out loud....talk about staged! The guy reading it was obviously churning it out from a government issued 'newspiece', with Ruairi Quinn standing behind him holding a gun to his producer's head.

Love the way the department compartmentalises pay so it's easier to cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

RealJohn wrote: »
    The unions should have been on about that before it became a problem. You have to question whether they're worth what we pay them.

I left my union a few years ago. I've never regretted it.
    Why are union bosses being paid a 6 figure salary?
    Have any of them taken a pay cut in solidarity with their members?

Our unions are a joke, they've had their noses in the trough for too long.

Has anyone from the unions countered this bs from Quinn about allowances? I haven't heard a peep. We're being softened up for yet another pay cut. What will the unions do? Lay back and take it yet again? Probably. The unions are toothless tigers. Make no mistake, the government are intent on taking more money from our pockets and unless we sent them a very clear, unambiguous message it will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

If you want to cut the degree allowance then remove the need to have a degree to teach. Then anybody can teach and nobody has to be paid extra. That's a simple and similar logic to where this is going to go.

I have never understood this argument.

Lecturers in an Institute of Technology need a masters but don't get an allowance for it
    Lecturers in a University need a Phd but don't get an allowance for it.

From the outside looking in, qualfication allowances are archaic, an anachronism and should be abolished.

As for whether it's worth studying, in most jobs (including elsewhere in the public sector as well as the private sector) undertaking courses of study (both accredited and unaccredited) is seen as essential for personal and career development but doesn't automatically generate a financial reward.

All of that being said, I do have sympathy for the issue in respect of the responsibility allowances as they are for performing a higher role (notwithstanding that I think the whole structure of teacher pay in Ireland is madness).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Godge wrote: »

Lecturers in an Institute of Technology need a masters but don't get an allowance for it

From the outside looking in, qualfication allowances are archaic, an anachronism and should be abolished.

As for whether it's worth studying, in most jobs (including elsewhere in the public sector as well as the private sector) undertaking courses of study (both accredited and unaccredited) is seen as essential for personal and career development but doesn't automatically generate a financial reward.
    I'd tend to agree with you Godge - I don't think it's reasonable for teachers to expect extra pay for being qualified. However, these allowances have been paid to teachers for decades, and as a result would be more accurately referred to as core pay. The system has never been regularised, where these 'allowances' would be integrated with the main pay packet. In reality, almost all teachers have received these allowances, and are calculated when coming up with their annual salary.

Semantics have a lot to do with the argument.

As regards your argument re: teacher pay, look at the way England has gone. Teachers have no status, it's difficult to attract motivated candidates into the profession, and educational standards are very poor as a result. Ireland is skipping down the same path with these moves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

dambarude wrote: »
    I'd tend to agree with you Godge - I don't think it's reasonable for teachers to expect extra pay for being qualified. However, these allowances have been paid to teachers for decades, and as a result would be more accurately referred to as core pay. The system has never been regularised, where these 'allowances' would be integrated with the main pay packet. In reality, almost all teachers have received these allowances, and are calculated when coming up with their annual salary.

Semantics have a lot to do with the argument.

As regards your argument re: teacher pay, look at the way England has gone. Teachers have no status, it's difficult to attract motivated candidates into the profession, and educational standards are very poor as a result. Ireland is skipping down the same path with these moves.
    Fully agree. Interesting as well that a significant proportion of these so called 'allowances' are going to principals and not simply 'teachers'. Can't offend them though, I wonder why? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

I cant understand why some are called allowances at all, I mean the POR and S&S really are not allowances, they are extra pay for extra work....no one complains about other peoples overtime so why are we constantly being attacked about ours (which is kind of what these things are)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

All of that being said, I do have sympathy for the issue in respect of the responsibility allowances as they are for performing a higher role (notwithstanding that I think the whole structure of teacher pay in Ireland is madness).

This+1
    And before you start very limeted schooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Historically the qualifications allowances did serve a useful purpose. In the past, honours degrees were much rarer than they are today; not many teachers had them and it was appropriate to reward these "super-qualified" teachers to attract them into the profession.

Nowadays, you're highly unlikely to get into the PGDE and/or a job without an honours degree, so the allowance has lost its purpose. There is little corresponding incentive to attract even more qualified people these days, as the gap between the hons degree allowance and the masters allowance is not wide enough.

I think they should make an honours degree a pre-requisite, incorporate the the hons degree allowance into core pay, and have a decent allowance for a masters (including M.Ed.) to incentivise.

(Or, if you were trying to cut costs, you'd make the hons degree a pre-requisite, ditch all primary degree allowances, and leave the masters allowance as it is. :eek: )

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭flatbackfour

Godge, in again teacher bashing. Never miss an oppurtunity. Allowences are core pay. Lets take away the term allowence and just lump it all in together. Suits me fine.

Take away the allowences for new teachers and the starting salary will put a significant amount of new graduates off. Top class graduates are not goint to work for 12 grand a year. (most new teachers are on half hours or part time)

If you pay peenuts you are going to get monkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Godge, in again teacher bashing.

I don't think Godge is teacher bashing here to be honest. He/She is just taking part in the debate with a reasoned argument. There is a difference between all out vitriolic attacks (which the teaching profession gets more than its fair share of) and reasoned debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭flatbackfour

Feeona wrote: »
    I don't think Godge is teacher bashing here to be honest. He/She is just taking part in the debate with a reasoned argument. There is a difference between all out vitriolic attacks (which the teaching profession gets more than its fair share of) and reasoned debate.

This is not the first time hes got involved in being critical of teachers. Check previous posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭jimbo28

I left my union a few years ago. I've never regretted it.
    Why are union bosses being paid a 6 figure salary?
    Have any of them taken a pay cut in solidarity with their members?

Our unions are a joke, they've had their noses in the trough for too long.

Has anyone from the unions countered this bs from Quinn about allowances? I haven't heard a peep. We're being softened up for yet another pay cut. What will the unions do? Lay back and take it yet again? Probably. The unions are toothless tigers. Make no mistake, the government are intent on taking more money from our pockets and unless we sent them a very clear, unambiguous message it will happen.

I am in complete agreement with you on unions. The old " BUT YOU HAVE TO BE IN ONE IN CASE SOMETHING HAPPENS". What a load of sh!te.Something is happening folks, were being cut left, right and centre,and there is being very little done by the unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭doc_17

People are happy to be under the protection of the CPA (negotiated by those useless unions) but not willing to join up to the union and pay their way.

people who reap the benefits of the work of others and constantly give out then are hard to take!

Have a look at the TUI/ASTI/INTO annual reports and you will see how many teachers are helped each year regarding contracts, unfair dismissal, defence against unfounded alleghations, issues arising in individual schools etc. It is the not just the job of the Union to protect your pay, they enhance and defend your conditions and will back you up if you ever need them.

Also during negotiations of the CPA the government wanted to do a lot more than make us do an extra hour per week

Some have principled objections to unions and that's fine but others are just unwilling to pay their dues.

Oh, and anyone who says S&S is an allowance (Yes, Minister) is a clown). people who don't do don't get paid for it, people who are in it do the work and get paid for it. How is that an allowances? It is taxed at 62% anyway so cuttiong it won't save much and I won't have to do it and then I can enjoy my lunches again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Jim Daly, FG, to whom the figures were released, was a primary school teacher. Is he still getting paid for that while a TD?

Godge, in again teacher bashing. Never miss an oppurtunity. Allowences are core pay. Lets take away the term allowence and just lump it all in together. Suits me fine.

Take away the allowences for new teachers and the starting salary will put a significant amount of new graduates off. Top class graduates are not goint to work for 12 grand a year. (most new teachers are on half hours or part time)

If you pay peenuts you are going to get monkeys.
    This is not the first time hes got involved in being critical of teachers. Check previous posts.

Look, you can attack me personally all you like and ignore the points I make - that is a sign of being unable to debate the points and I take it as a compliment to the strength of the argument.

If you re-read my post, you will see that while I suggest that the qualification allowances be abolished (and I advance cogent rational reasons for doing so) I do defend the "post of responsibility" allowances. Is defending the "post of responsibility" allowances now to be taken as teacher-bashing?

It saddens me to see a minority of teachers posting here being unable to distinguish arguments other than in a black-or-white scenario. Either posters support teachers or are teacher-bashing. Those posters who recognise some good things in teaching as well as some bad things are constantly in danger of being categorised as teacher-bashing which is unfortunate as it detracts from rational debate and encourages a bunker mentality among teachers which will do more harm to the teaching profession than any outside criticism.

Look, you can attack me personally all you like and ignore the points I make - that is a sign of being unable to debate the points and I take it as a compliment to the strength of the argument.

If you re-read my post, you will see that while I suggest that the qualification allowances be abolished (and I advance cogent rational reasons for doing so) I do defend the "post of responsibility" allowances. Is defending the "post of responsibility" allowances now to be taken as teacher-bashing?

It saddens me to see a minority of teachers posting here being unable to distinguish arguments other than in a black-or-white scenario. Either posters support teachers or are teacher-bashing. Those posters who recognise some good things in teaching as well as some bad things are constantly in danger of being categorised as teacher-bashing which is unfortunate as it detracts from rational debate and encourages a bunker mentality among teachers which will do more harm to the teaching profession than any outside criticism.

In your head they are cogent points and you believe they have merit. To those of us in the profession, who hear you saying that payscales are madness, we live in different reality.

And whoever advocates anything from the english system should be sent over there to investigate why they can't find enough teachers to work in their schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,180 ✭✭✭jh79

According to the TUI website a teacher with an hons degree gets between 36 to 66k a year? Don't know how lucky you are. Even with possible cuts to come the payscale is very good for the qualifications needed

How many teachers leave the profession due to the bad pay and conditions? Not many I reckon you'd have a tough time finding a job that pays that well for an Hons Degree in the private sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭jimbo28

doc_17 wrote: »
    People are happy to be under the protection of the CPA (negotiated by those useless unions) but not willing to join up to the union and pay their way.

people who reap the benefits of the work of others and constantly give out then are hard to take!

Have a look at the TUI/ASTI/INTO annual reports and you will see how many teachers are helped each year regarding contracts, unfair dismissal, defence against unfounded alleghations, issues arising in individual schools etc. It is the not just the job of the Union to protect your pay, they enhance and defend your conditions and will back you up if you ever need them.

Also during negotiations of the CPA the government wanted to do a lot more than make us do an extra hour per week

Some have principled objections to unions and that's fine but others are just unwilling to pay their dues.

Your obviously of the mentality that "If your not with us your against us". As far as I'm concerned, in past situations the union left me high and dry, So I left.As for people who are not willing to "pay their way", I go into the classroom everyday,the same as you, I teach, I do as a good a job as I can and I go home.I do not feel the need to pay a union a fee for the privilege of being one of the team so that I am accepted in the staffroom.No offence Doc_17 but I think your a little out of line with that statement.How people go about doing their job in a school is nobody's business but theirs and school management.I don't owe anybody anything for doing my job other than the responsibility that I owe my pupils.And I certainly don't owe a union any "due".The argument you make is the same as all union people make and you are entitled to make an argument, but you should not go down the road of knocking people who choose not to be apart of the unions.

In your head they are cogent points and you believe they have merit. To those of us in the profession, who hear you saying that payscales are madness, we live in different reality.

And whoever advocates anything from the english system should be sent over there to investigate why they can't find enough teachers to work in their schools.

(1) My points have merit in their own right and not in my head.

(2) When did I advocate something from the english system in this thread?

(3) I did not say that payscales are madness, I said that the structure of teacher pay is madness, there is a difference. For a start, unlike other parts of the public service, increments are awarded automatically by default, in the civil service you no longer get an increment unless you have completed the PMDS process and achieved a certain level. Granted, not a huge percentage are refused an increment but it is an improvement over the teacher situation. I could go on and talk about why principal and deputy principal posts are paid an allowance rather than being a separate scale as elsewhere or about the length of the payscale, the archaic qualification allowances or some of the other dubious allowances, the requirement to have a separate pay arrangement for S&S because the government of the time couldn't be seen to give a pay increase to teachers because of the ASTI dispute etc. etc. without mentioning a word about the payscales or the level of pay.

Please stop the kneejerk defensive reactions and think about how things could be better for the taxpayer and the students as well as the teachers.

jimbo28 wrote: »
    Your obviously of the mentality that "If your not with us your against us". As far as I'm concerned, in past situations the union left me high and dry, So I left.As for people who are not willing to "pay their way", I go into the classroom everyday,the same as you, I teach, I do as a good a job as I can and I go home.I do not feel the need to pay a union a fee for the privilege of being one of the team so that I am accepted in the staffroom.No offence Doc_17 but I think your a little out of line with that statement.How people go about doing their job in a school is nobody's business but theirs and school management.I don't owe anybody anything for doing my job other than the responsibility that I owe my pupils.And I certainly don't owe a union any "due".The argument you make is the same as all union people make and you are entitled to make an argument, but you should not go down the road of knocking people who choose not to be apart of the unions.

wow.....you're reading some very interesting things into what I said. I highlighted a few things there that I'd like to take issue with. Nowhere did I say you have to pay a union fee to be accepted in the staff room.

I never mentioned what way people go about their job as a teacher and how they teach their students. Not once. You are the one out of line there even suggesting that.

When I mentioned "dues" I was referring to union subs, some just don't want to (or can't ) pay. In some people's eyes if you get it for free (i.e. someone else will pick up the tab) why bother paying.

And I think every teacher in Ireland (excluding NQTs) owe the unions something for the terms and conditions that we now have which were the result of work undertaken by unions in the past.

Here are a few

22 hours Teaching
    payment for S&S

I honestly feel/believe that teachers who think the union have never done any good for them are incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

And I think every teacher in Ireland (excluding NQTs) owe the unions something for the terms and conditions that we now have which were the result of work undertaken by unions in the past.

Here are a few

22 hours Teaching
    payment for S&S

I honestly feel/believe that teachers who think the union have never done any good for them are incorrect.

Our class contact hours are among the highest in the EU.
    Re payment for S&S - that's pay for work.

I agree with the concept of a union and it was a wrench to leave my own, however it was the correct thing to do.

Can anyone tell me

(a) Has any member of the union taken a paycut in solidarity with it's
    members
    (b) Why are the union bosses on a 6 figure salary, multiple times what their own members earn?

I stood outside my school during strikes and I have payed my way over the last 20 years. I have paid my union "dues" and then some. Never again until the union might like to start acting like a union.

Here are a few

22 hours Teaching
    payment for S&S

Our class contact hours are among the highest in the EU.
    Re payment for S&S - that's pay for work.

I agree with the concept of a union and it was a wrench to leave my own, however it was the correct thing to do.

Can anyone tell me

(a) Has any member of the union taken a paycut in solidarity with it's
    members
    (b) Why are the union bosses on a 6 figure salary, multiple times what their own members earn?

I stood outside my school during strikes and I have payed my way over the last 20 years. I have paid my union "dues" and then some. Never again until the union might like to start acting like a union.

Yes payment for S&S is pay for work but that wasn't always the case. People were expected to do this for nothing until representations from unions changed this

• Advertisement

(1) My points have merit in their own right and not in my head.

(2) When did I advocate something from the english system in this thread?

(3) I did not say that payscales are madness, I said that the structure of teacher pay is madness, there is a difference. For a start, unlike other parts of the public service, increments are awarded automatically by default, in the civil service you no longer get an increment unless you have completed the PMDS process and achieved a certain level. Granted, not a huge percentage are refused an increment but it is an improvement over the teacher situation. I could go on and talk about why principal and deputy principal posts are paid an allowance rather than being a separate scale as elsewhere or about the length of the payscale, the archaic qualification allowances or some of the other dubious allowances, the requirement to have a separate pay arrangement for S&S because the government of the time couldn't be seen to give a pay increase to teachers because of the ASTI dispute etc. etc. without mentioning a word about the payscales or the level of pay.

Please stop the kneejerk defensive reactions and think about how things could be better for the taxpayer and the students as well as the teachers.

1. Yes they do have merit but they are not the only points that have merit.

2. Just have a wee re-read of that post of mine.....I said "whoever was mentioning the English system"......I was making a couple of points in the same post so sorry if you felt that was me misrepresenting you.

3. Payscales and pay structures? Think we'll avoid splitting hairs over this one.

I can't see how anything I've said in this thread is a knee jerk reaction to anything. That's an extremely unfair accusation. But I couldn't really give a hoot anymore! Just wanted to state what I believe the unions have done for us.

Advertisement