Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quorn Mince

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

I love Quorn. Have made lasagne's that my meat eating friends proclaimed the best ever! (without knowing about it). It's quick and easy to prepare and you don't have to wory about its source or risk food poisioning! I also like their chicken and burgers but can't seem to find their 1/4 pounders any more :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah there is loads of stuff over here in England. The garlic and mushrooms fillets are lovley. Same with the white wine and mushroom sauce pastry things. I use the mince for bolo and tis lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

I have not checked the ingredents in Quorn for some time but when I did check I noticed that they were very unhealthy. It is over processed garbage.
    If you want to use it now and then as a treat then why not but not an everyday thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Mentalmiss wrote:
    I have not checked the ingredents in Quorn for some time but when I did check I noticed that they were very unhealthy. It is over processed garbage.
    I don't use it, but I didn't think they were that bad. Mostly egg and mushroom-type protein. But yeah, there are better alternatives if you have the time/inclination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RosieRo

Quorn mince is ok of done properly, the fillets and chicken style pieces are brilliant and so versatile.

I'm living in north Wales for uni and OMG were my eyes opened to a whole new world of meat free delights. Sainsburys have the best veggie selection including quorn, cauldron, linda herself and their own brand goodies which include the yummiest nut cutlets.

I'll defo have to campaign my local dunnes or tesco to get their act together because I've been well and truly spoilt rotten.

BTW- The luncheon quorn is only yummy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

RosieRo wrote:
    BTW- The luncheon quorn is only yummy.

Is that the roast roll thingy? I find the realeat one with the sage and onion stuffing in the middle to be the nicest for roast lunches

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The luncheon tasting ones are usually the ones that are supposed to taste like ham or chicken or turkey. Roast are different. Alll lovely but the lamb and mint one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I wouldn't use Quorn mince to make chilli. You can make a delicious and really satisfying vegetarian chilli using extra kidney beans/pinto beans/whatever beans and extra vegetables. That Quorn stuff is muck.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The meatballs are where it is at, freaking lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I'm with Moonbaby on this. What's the point? If your desire to eat something meat-like is that strong, then you have to ask yourself the point of your vegetarianism and its effect on the quality of your life.

Not only that, if I were vegetarian, I'd embrace good food, not overly processed garbage. There are plenty of recipes out there that don't require, mold-based, factory produced, imitation meat.

Easily one of the stupidest posts Ive read in a long time on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Tusky wrote:
    Easily one of the stupidest posts Ive read in a long time on boards.ie.
    how so?

why be a vegetarian if all you're going eat is something pretending to be meat?

what's wrong with actual vegetables?

Oh god...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    what's wrong with actual vegetables?

Why dont you tell us since you are one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

My hate towards the Quorn has infected the others!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

My hate towards the Quorn has infected the others!
    I, for one, did not need any help there. Just one look at the ingreedents made sure of that.
    I like to eat real food and not frankenstein food

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Mentalmiss wrote:
    I, for one, did not need any help there. Just one look at the ingreedents made sure of that.
    I like to eat real food and not frankenstein food

By real food, I assume you mean the flesh of dead animals. I know what I'd rather eat...

I like to eat food that tastes nice.

I like to eat food that tastes nice.

I second that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Conar

I'll 3rd that.
    If it tastes nice and isn't bad for you then who cares how its made up?

If I was trying to be healthy I'd avoid it but otherwise why not?? Lots of food are made up of all sorts of crap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

where are people getting this idea that Quorn is unhealthy?

Some people have an odd perspective on 'processed' foods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭sportswear

i think its bangin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

I really like the Quorn mince and chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

It's great and I've used it in cooking a few times when I've had vege friends over. The non veges didn't even notice the difference until we told them it wasn't meat which is when they got a little weird about it. I eat meat too but use Quorn and tofu instead quite often. I found the ranges in the UK to be a lot better and wish you could get stuff like the tomato herb sausages here. It's processed but that doesn't mean its "frankenstein food". Cheese and bread are very processed and that doesn't put people off. Processed doesn't = freaky food. Think it's a little odd that people dismiss foods if they're processed. The only things that aren't are fruits and veg pretty much...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i have to say, i think its lovely i made shepards pie one day for my dad and he never noticed the difference and i never told her either. actually i had shepards pie during the week the the dog had the left overs and he wolfed it down so not sure what went wrong for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭grellan1

Has anyone got any links for stockists of Cauldron Sausages ( I think thats the right name) and also the name of any bacon substitutes which I have read about on some U.K. boards. I have started using TVP and also green lentils to bulk out some of my dishes.
    I live in the west of Ireland.
    Any info appreciated.
    Grellan.

grellan1 wrote:
    Has anyone got any links for stockists of Cauldron Sausages ( I think thats the right name) and also the name of any bacon substitutes which I have read about on some U.K. boards. I have started using TVP and also green lentils to bulk out some of my dishes.
    I live in the west of Ireland.
    Any info appreciated.
    Grellan.

Try any health food shops. I bought the couldron sausages lately but I live in Dublin so it's much easier!

I quite fancy the redwood veggie rashers and I have to say the Quorn rashers are very good too if not better. I've never seen the Quorn rashers in Ireland yet unortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Conar

I think Superquinn stock a bit of the Cauldron range so you could check with them.
    As mentioned the health food shops tend to have a lot of that stuff but I can only speak for the Dublin west side of things.

• Advertisement

I don't know about cauldron but try lincolnshire sausages in Healthwise in Galway, amazing!As for bacon, try Everygreen, they have two types. there is another type in dublin that is vegan and is lovely too.

Advertisement