Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

help wanted

• 30-09-2014 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Good evening lads and ladies my 97 pajero has been condemned by the government for a spot of rust, i'm looking at a nisssan navara to replace the paj, have any of you on here any experience with the navara, any and all advise greatly appreciated. i would be using this for everyday for work and in the odd field after what ever animal is in season at the time. Thanks in advance. Pep.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

Pep73 wrote: »
    Good evening lads and ladies my 97 pajero has been condemned by the government for a spot of rust, i'm looking at a nisssan navara to replace the paj, have any of you on here any experience with the navara, any and all advise greatly appreciated. i would be using this for everyday for work and in the odd field after what ever animal is in season at the time. Thanks in advance. Pep.

What year navara are you thinking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Dot suppose it's a pajero of 93-98 model?
    Ba5tards suffer from rust on the chassis.
    Would you consider a land cruiser? Can't kill them and are great for the fields

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Had two of the D40 models. An SE model (2006) and then the LE Premium model (2008). Both have the same engine, HP, etc. just the extras are what separates the models.

Pros
    • Cheap to buy
    • Good fuel economy for a jeep
    • Good pulling power with trailer on the road
    • Great overall power/torque
    • Plenty of extras depending on model, but still much cheaper than other makes
    • Good clearance for back seat passengers with easy access
    • Good space in pick up, and large choice of canopies/covers

Cons
    • Very skittish in the back end, on/off the road, due to the lightness in the back end
    • Electronic four wheel drive system, which while good, not as good as Mitsubishi/Toyota
    • Steering lock is brutal. Full U-turn would take 3 lanes of a motorway, and even then you'd barely make it
    • Electronics can be "fussy". Both engine electronics (4 wheel drive sensor, etc) and internals. Nothing that would stop it working, but they are expensive to replace.
    • If it needs a timing chain, you may remortgage the house. Other parts can be expensive, even small ones. The timing chain kit, including installation of 2 weeks, costs €2,500. A small light for the number plate costs €109. Just two examples.

I like the Navara and both of mine were great when i had them. I bought new both times and the top of the range LE Premium model cost €6K more than the
    standard/medium level Hilux. also location had a lot to do with as the nearest dealership to me was a Nissan. They are a decent workhorse of a Jeep. They excel in some areas and not so much in others.

Are you looking at the D40 or D22?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Pep73

What year navara are you thinking ?

its a 03 with a recon engine doed on 15/8 he's looking 3990

Dot suppose it's a pajero of 93-98 model?
    Ba5tards suffer from rust on the chassis.
    Would you consider a land cruiser? Can't kill them and are great for the fields

its a 97 and cant find a land cruiser that suits my budget

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    Had two of the D40 models. An SE model (2006) and then the LE Premium model (2008). Both have the same engine, HP, etc. just the extras are what separates the models.

Pros
    • Cheap to buy
    • Good fuel economy for a jeep
    • Good pulling power with trailer on the road
    • Great overall power/torque
    • Plenty of extras depending on model, but still much cheaper than other makes
    • Good clearance for back seat passengers with easy access
    • Good space in pick up, and large choice of canopies/covers

Cons
    • Very skittish in the back end, on/off the road, due to the lightness in the back end
    • Electronic four wheel drive system, which while good, not as good as Mitsubishi/Toyota
    • Steering lock is brutal. Full U-turn would take 3 lanes of a motorway, and even then you'd barely make it
    • Electronics can be "fussy". Both engine electronics (4 wheel drive sensor, etc) and internals. Nothing that would stop it working, but they are expensive to replace.
    • If it needs a timing chain, you may remortgage the house. Other parts can be expensive, even small ones. The timing chain kit, including installation of 2 weeks, costs €2,500. A small light for the number plate costs €109. Just two examples.

I like the Navara and both of mine were great when i had them. I bought new both times and the top of the range LE Premium model cost €6K more than the
    standard/medium level Hilux. also location had a lot to do with as the nearest dealership to me was a Nissan. They are a decent workhorse of a Jeep. They excel in some areas and not so much in others.

Are you looking at the D40 or D22?

Cass it doesnt say in the add, some serious cost if it gets sick! its a chance we all take though i suppose, i had a defender lined up to look at this morning, chap said he'd hold it so i text him at 10am to arrange a view, he sold it! sick!

Great place for advise folks thanks a million need to go start another thread on a dog!

its a 97 and cant find a land cruiser that suits my budget

We have a genuine 96 paj in work but same story has rust under the chassis
    Tried welding it but just won't pass the doe so was thinking of just using it for fields but prob wouldn't take the risk.
    What bout the older shape prado cruiser? Things go forever and will definitely be worth the money spent.
    Not bad on juice unless towing something.
    Also the troopers aren't bad for the fields an daily runaround.

Cass it doesnt say in the add, some serious cost if it gets sick! ..........
    I suppose they are all like that, but i can only speak for Nissan.
    its a chance we all take though i suppose,
    It is unfortunately. The best you can do, as you know, is to check it out as best you can and make the decision that seems best. No harm to bring a lad that knows his stuff if needed. I always do. Actually the car i recently bought i had two lads with me. both good mechanics. I saw the car i wanted whereas they saw the/any faults.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

What about the Nissan GR big jeep used by the army and off Aussies like them.. Can't be bad has diff locks which is a big plus.. Thinking its my next jeep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

What about a Nissan X-Trail.

You'd pick up 04, maybe 05 for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Big end bearings calve in them.

http://www.navaraownersclub.com/2009/10/the-infamous-d22-engine-problem/

Find out why the rebuild was needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mountainy Jack

Jonty wrote: »
    Big end bearings calve in them.

http://www.navaraownersclub.com/2009/10/the-infamous-d22-engine-problem/

Find out why the rebuild was needed.

+1. They are crap. We had a 2003 one and the big end went in it. Put a reconditioned engine in then and that went after 13 months. Sold it and bought a Hilux. I know of two others of the same vintage in my immediate area which blew engines as well. It's a well known fault in them Google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fabwing

These jeeps are ok when running well but when they give trouble it will cost a pretty penny to put right, bearings etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Newer Nissans (and Renault cars) are cheap because the carmakers charge a premium for parts and service (e.g.; the previously-mentioned timing belt).

That's why Toyotas are so expensive second-hand. You can work on them yourself if you're handy.

Thread the line between the two - I use an 01 Nissan Terrano taxed as a crew cab. 34 mpg, big, simple engine. A real sleeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Was looking at a navara a few years ago but several forums online warned against anything below a 06 model as the engines had a habbit of blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ecr

I had 2 both 06 D40 models the first one I had it 2 weeks the engine blew the second one didn't engage 4wd spoke to a few mechanics and they had no praise for them I know ur working on a budget but pish for a Toyota way better and tougher machine

Thanks for all the comments folks, it's a rebuilt engine with only 4k on it and I drove it today and I like it, but I just can't ignore all the nays on here.

yubabill1 wrote: »
    I use an 01 Nissan Terrano taxed as a crew cab. 34 mpg, big, simple engine. A real sleeper.
    Drove one of these on the job and it was a pure workhorse and IMO was better offfroad than some other "better" known makes. It was the 2.7ltr. A real surprise.
    Was looking at a navara a few years ago but several forums online warned against anything below a 06 model as the engines had a habit of blowing.
    I never had engine issues with mine, but as said above they were all newer than 06. Everyone i know, including my Uncle has had engine problems in the form of a blown engine or seized engine. They were a 02, and 04.

If you like the one you drove then get a mechanic to check it out. If you don't know one see if you can pay. I mean it's not like you're handing out €20 for it. It's a big outlay so do your homework and if in doubt walk away lad, and look for something else.

Is there a particular reason why you want this one though?

• Advertisement

Is there a particular reason why you want this one though?

Not really just with the engine being rebuilt it basically has very low mileage, big change from my nippy 97 pajero, very sluggish, I'll keep looking, seen a rare discovery on DD, 94 pick up little yellow beaut! The guy has done some serious restore job on it, check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

If I was going to drop coin on a pick up, I'd seriously consider the Isuzu D Max.

Before anybody says anything about the Trooper 3.0 diesel engine being made from butter, the one in the D Max is different and a much better job.

Jonty wrote: »
    If I was going to drop coin on a pick up, I'd seriously consider the Isuzu D Max.

Before anybody says anything about the Trooper 3.0 diesel engine being made from butter, the one in the D Max is different and a much better job.

Agreed. I do a good bit of work on the izuzu dmax ( services etc) and compared to the troopers I don't find many fault with them. Egr valve and fuel pump here and there but nothing much on engine.
    But they havint got much power and wouldn't pull you out of bed

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭tomtucker81

Regarding the DMax, i can vouch for a DMax getting stuck and being pulled out of a field by a Landcruiser, which had no problem in the field towing another jeep!

Anyone know of or have any opinion of these new Great Wall Steeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Brother-in-law has 06 Pathfinder, beautiful machine but bloody expensive to run (thirsty) and service (timing 1500).

My advice: you won't get a lot in the newer pick-up line for 3-4000 that is not heading for big bucks servicing/repairs. And the older pick-ups can be hard on juice. Nothing worse than having a machine sitting there that costs an arm and a leg every time you sit in it.

Choose very carefully.

Advertisement