Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Photos thread (Target Shooting)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Long, long ago, in a thread far, far away, I was going on about my adventures getting 2 extra rifle licences at the same time. When all was done and dusted, it was suggested that I post pictures of my new purchases, and I'm only now getting my arse in gear and doing something about it.

So, here you go, here's the entire collection-
    4t12ww

From the top-
    Beretta 302, 12 gauge;
    CZ 550, .243 Win, Swift Premier 3-9x50 scope;
    Brno Fox Model 2, .22 Hornet, Atlas Explorer Night Predator 10-40x50 scope;
    Anschutz 525, .22LR, Tasco 3-9x40 scope;
    Sako Finnfire Varmint P94S, .22LR, Edgar Brothers Opti-Mate 8-32x44 scope.

The CZ and the Sako are the most recent additions.

See those empty Lapua Standard Club cans propping up the rifles?
    They hold 500 rounds each, and since I got the Sako in mid February, I figure I've put at least 8 cans through it. I've got 6 empties and a half full one here, and I've binned at least 2 at the Midland range.
    That's over 4000 rounds!!! :eek:
    Not counting a few hundred rounds or more of other stuff that's not so handy to count!

Did I mention that I like shooting that gun? :D
    The fact that I've discovered that I can put a steel target at 100 yards from my bathroom window in front of a perfect backstop probably has something to do with the ammo consumption too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

A fine array of surgical instruments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

50m shooting in the Midlands Rifle Club...

DSCF2213.sized.jpg

DSCF2222.sized.jpg

Michael Walls caught mid-reload....

DSCF2218.sized.jpg

Some photos from this weekend's training for the NTSA junior team heading to Bisley in August for the Junior International:

DSCF2305.sized.jpg

DSCF2307.sized.jpg

DSCF2323.sized.jpg

DSCF2324.sized.jpg

DSCF2326.sized.jpg

DSCF2327.sized.jpg

More here, though they're mostly photos for training (foot positioning, that kind of thing).

More photos added to that gallery linked to above, this is one of the squad training in WTSC for the smallbore event. Safety-concious photographers please note that the bolt is raised, and that the breech was checked as being open and clear before the photo was taken!

DSCF2341.sized.jpg

• Advertisement

And the Bisley Team returning home, with four MQS scores and a host of Personal Bests in the bag, and lots learnt for the next trip!

dscf2402.sized.jpg

dscf2406.sized.jpg

dscf2407.jpg

And the Team Manager Leslie Fagan, and Team Coach Geoff Cooney:

dscf2412.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Rovi wrote:
    Sako Finnfire Varmint P94S, .22LR, Edgar Brothers Opti-Mate 8-32x44 scope.

Just a quick question about the sako. Its about the safety mechanism. What Im wondsering is why you cannot cock or uncock the gun with the safety on (ie wont allow the gun to fire) and that the gun has to be made live in order to do this. Is there a specific reason/logic for this or bad design?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

They are designed that way so that you can tell if the firearm is cocked. Iv seen it on plenty of rifles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Sorry to drag this out but could you elaborate because I don't understand :o
    The main reason I ask is because when your hunting with it and you load the gun and by what ever means decide not to take the shot you have to make the gun live to unload the round from the chamber.

Actually I dont think I answered ure particular question. I was refering to only being able to safe the rifle when its cocked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pistolpacker

macnas wrote:
    A fine array of surgical instruments

are you an ipsc shooter? doesn,t seem to be much talk about
    centre fire pistol shooting on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pistolpacker

sparks' I see you,ve been to east antrim club did you ever get to Kells club?
    Just got back from N.I aug 26th and was at the Kells club the other week
    they have centre fire there, but I don,t here too much about centre fire from the
    R O I, why is this?
    pistolpacker

Never been to Kell's club PP, don't even know which one you mean! And there's not that much about centerfire pistol in the ROI in here because there's not that many of the centerfire pistol people posting in here, is all.

Some assorted photos from the 50m Prone Nationals.

DSCF2496.sized.jpg

DSCF2499.sized.jpg

DSCF2497.sized.jpg

DSCF2502.sized.jpg

DSCF2507.sized.jpg

DSCF2544.sized.jpg

DSCF2530.sized.jpg

DSCF2547.sized.jpg

DSCF2548.sized.jpg

DSCF2554.sized.jpg

DSCF2552.sized.jpg

Eh?-
    Sparks wrote:
    DSCF2547.sized.jpg

I didn't think target shooting was THAT boring!

Perhaps he was stunned by the recoil?

:D:D:D

Arf!
    No Rovi, he's just relaxing the muscles in his back and arms prior to the finals. You know the drill - even a small tension in the muscles causes them to 'ping' when the recoil impulse hits your shoulder, and that can throw your shot off.
    That, and he's adhering to the three rules for long life :D

Just out of interest, how do these shooters deal with the noise of the big boomers going off further down the line?
    Does the big stuff go to a ceasefire while the 50m lads fire their strings, or is the noise an 'environmental hazard' that has to be dealt with as it happens, like wind and rain?

No ceasefire Rovi (though to be honest, for a National Championships, it was a bit much to have going on). We just dealt with it.

New raiser blocks for the sights on the air rifle while I rebuild my position:

03102005(006).jpg

03102005(009).jpg

03102005(007).jpg

03102005(005).jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

This is my Anschutz 2013 in what Sparks refers to as it's 'broken' state:
    2013a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

And this is it as it looks in it's more complete state:
    2013b.jpg
    The barrel length is 50cm, the sight extension tube extends the overall length to almost 90cm. The purpose is to extend the sight base for more accurate shooting, or as I put it 'for greater wobble'. The idea behind the short barrel is to reduce 'barrel flip' as the round leaves the barrel. This configuration is still popular on the continent, but did not catch on in the British Isles, as we all (bar me) like our 69cm barrels (something about that number I guess :D ).
    Interesting and to my mind helpful side effects of the short barrel are better weight distribution (towards the breech) and thus a steadier hold and less effect of recoil, the sight extension makes for a steadier hold also, as the sight base shows up more movement than a conventional 69cm base would, and much finer adjustment at the rear sight due to the increased distance to the foresight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

It's an M60

Not a M60, but a Russian RPK-74, I believe. Same caliber, though (7.62):

pk.jpg

Not posting any pix (for obvious reasosns heereafter), but collection in a foreign country not a million miles away includes a Brno Over/Under (12 & rifled 8x57R - mostly wild boar or venison use), a Darne juxtaposed (sliding block, both barrels 12 - mostly plain game, e.g. hare), a
    not-so-legal-at-all, original, unmarked and fully functional military-issue Mauser Gew98, complete with ammo and clips
    and a 22LR target pistol (forgot brand, circa. late 30s). And that's quite enough ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Nema

My personal Guns are

Rifle: Sako 75 Custom 6.5x55

Pistol:: STI GrandMaster .40

There is sure a lot of air rifles going around :)

Training last night in WTSC
    WTSC_031105.jpg

Sparks wrote:
    Training last night in WTSC:

**** man get a real gun and learn to shoot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Umiq88

oh right so if you dont think its real you wont mind getting shot with one then you wont really get killed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

Nema wrote:
    **** man get a real gun and learn to shoot!

**** man get a life and learn some manners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭ Elliott Future Dewdrop

LOL did he just insult a mod? Fair enough mate... also could you define "Real" when you get the chance, enlighten us. Thanks... ;)

It was a joke! But tbh i dont see airgun as a real gun, Still wouldnt like to get hit by one,

• Advertisement

Not a very funny joke and no smily faces either...

Advertisement