Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT Breakdown

• 10-11-2015 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi Everyone,

I am just about to import a car i bought in the UK on Friday and wanted to know the procedure they go through in the actual VRT appointment. As in when i get to the VRT/NCT centre what do they do?

The value of the car is higher on the VRT calculator then i actually paid, so will this benefit me or is it the price in Ireland that matters. And vice versa if i bought a car for more money then they think its worth will they adjust it to my figure or keep there own?

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

I went through this process recently. You present the documentation and the keys at the desk. Their guys take a look at the car, similar to a "mini" NCT inspection (I think). In the meantime, they calculate the VRT at the desk. In my case, it was exactly the amount quoted on their online calculator. I told them I paid less for the car (and had the receipt to prove it), but they went by their calculator - no wiggle room there.

I nearly got caught out with the payment method. You can pay by cash or by credit/debit card. I used my debit card, but the amount owed was more than my daily withdrawal limit. Luckily, I was able to use two cards to pay for the total. I waited then for around 20 minutes while they inspected the car and got the keys back along with the VRT document. You have to get the license plates done up separately. Same with the motor tax. Around 30 minutes in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

It makes no difference what you paid for your car,The have a book value and that what the go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you think that the OMSP they give is too high you still have to pay it but can appeal after. Just get similar speced cars from Donedeal or similar and send in.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,115 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The book value thing cannot be challenged either even though it's always higher than what you pay for the car.
    The book value must be done by themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 muller25

what if there figure is like a third of the price you paid for the car surely they wont be like ok thats grand

• Advertisement

muller25 wrote: »
    what if there figure is like a third of the price you paid for the car surely they wont be like ok thats grand

The don't care what you pay for your car.
    If you can find the exact make of your car on the vrt calculator then 9 out 10 times that's what you will pay

mgn wrote: »
    The don't care what you pay for your car.
    If you can find the exact make of your car on the vrt calculator then 9 out 10 times that's what you will pay

Who sets the current book value though?
    Seems very high at times compared to what you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As said, what you paid for the car in the UK for the car has no relevance to Revenue when it comes to calculating the VRT. They are only interested in what figure they value the exact same car to be worth over here.

bazz26 wrote: »
    As said, what you paid for the car in the UK for the car has no relevance to Revenue when it comes to calculating the VRT. They are only interested in what figure they value the exact same car to be worth over here.

But I asked "who sets the book value"?

The book value would be set for Irish cars not UK cars which are normally cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

But I asked "who sets the book value"?

Revenue get their info from S.I.M.I. data afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Who sets the current book value though?
    Seems very high at times compared to what you pay.
    Revenue set it themselves, read the link below and educate yourself about how they do it.
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/foi/s16/vehicle-registration-tax/vrt-manual-section-08.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

muller25 wrote: »

Anyone can do up a receipt sayin that paid £100 for their car.
    The tax is on the value of the car and its much fairer that way.

Thanks for the help i'll let you know how i get on.

yep was the exact figure quoted by the vrt calculator

Advertisement