Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VRT

• 15-10-2015 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi guys, I'm hoping some of you can help me.

I bought a car in the North in April and I went to the NCT Centre to pay the VRT the first opportunity I had, which was about 2 weeks after I bought it. Unfortunately I was missing a document which the previous owner of the car had. When I contacted the owner again he advised me he had posted it away and that the DVLA would send it to me. I ended up having so much hassle trying to get this bit of the tax book from the man but eventually got it about 3 weeks ago. In the meantime I was stopped by the Customs in June and explained to them I had tried to pay the VRT but was missing a document and would take the car across as soon as I got it. This was fine with them, they took my details and followed up with a phone call to me some time in August to see if I had taken the car through. My circumstances changed early September and I have a new job now with a company car. Because I don't actually need my car now and the man I bought the car from turned me off it (he really was a nightmare, I have no idea why he held on to the tax book so long, anyone shed any light on that?! Personally I think he was just an awkward pr*ck!) so I decided to sell the car. I put it up for sale and have agreed to sell it to a woman from Armagh (I have accepted a deposit for it) and she will be collecting it this weekend.

But someone I work with mentioned that I am technically still eligible to pay the VRT. Is this correct? Even though the car is staying in the North now and won't be taken across, because I had it here for a few months do I need to pay the VRT? I'm not trying to avoid paying it or anything and I don't want to get in trouble, I just want to make sure I go about things the right way. Someone else suggested I might just have to pay the late fine? Will the woman I sell the car to have any problems as a result of all this? Thanks for your help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

If you were stopped by customs driving it,then i would say they will chase you for it,they are fairly ruthless and will bring you to court for a decree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bmkearney

Contact customs before they contact you and advised them you had so much hassle getting tax book you decided to sell the car back to a woman in the North. Get proof from new job about company car and how long you have been driving it. Also advise customs you are willing to pay 3 months road tax to cover the use of the car during the few weeks you had driven it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

What did they say to you, or more importantly what you told them when they rang you in August?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

bmkearney wrote: »
    Contact customs before they contact you and advised them you had so much hassle getting tax book you decided to sell the car back to a woman in the North. Get proof from new job about company car and how long you have been driving it. Also advise customs you are willing to pay 3 months road tax to cover the use of the car during the few weeks you had driven it.

They are not interested in motor tax arrears.

They issue fines instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Even though the car is staying in the North now and won't be taken across

You have already "taken it across" and been clocked driving it here.

It has been in your possession 6 months and been on the road here.

Just because you now want to sell it back to a nordie doesn't mean you can erase the 6 months in which you used it here without VRT or tax.

You need to VRT it, if you want to export it back to NI then that is a separate business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Fi Fi Trix

Hi

I am a UK resident (Irish citizen) living in Uk for 3 and half years, I bought a car and plan to transfer back to Ireland next month. I have all bank statements etc, however I don't have utility bills or rent agreements in my name. Anyone recently been vrt excemot that can let me know exactly what they look for? I have travel insurance, health insurance and various other personal stuff in my name, obviously bank statements, pay slips, English car insurance and child social welfare letters.

I have also have been back and forth to Dublin from London and wondering if they look into that closely. I have owned the car 8 mths and probably had it in uk for just 6mths.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Fi Fi Trix wrote: »
    Hi

I am a UK resident (Irish citizen) living in Uk for 3 and half years, I bought a car and plan to transfer back to Ireland next month. I have all bank statements etc, however I don't have utility bills or rent agreements in my name. Anyone recently been vrt excemot that can let me know exactly what they look for? I have travel insurance, health insurance and various other personal stuff in my name, obviously bank statements, pay slips, English car insurance and child social welfare letters.

I have also have been back and forth to Dublin from London and wondering if they look into that closely. I have owned the car 8 mths and probably had it in uk for just 6mths.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I would suggest downloading the VRT ToR form from the Revenue website as it details the evidence they look for, some is mandatory some is optional.

Any use of the vehicle in the state doesn't count towards the ownership periods, so if you had the car with you in Ireland for long periods this may go against you. There is a section to detail any use in the State.

If the addresses etc. on your docs all match up I would hazard a guess that you would be OK.

Don't forget to book the VRT inspection date. My exemption cert. came back in about two weeks. I dropped my docs in and they posted the originals back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

VRT is illegal under the treaty of Rome and therefore the Irish state are breaking EU law.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

Any use of the vehicle in the state doesn't count towards the ownership periods, so if you had the car with you in Ireland for long periods this may go against you.

This statement is very dubious. Where is the evidence for that?
    If the OP was resident elsewhere he can import the car. The only relevance of visiting the State might be that his personal ties remained in Ireland, in which case he would be resident there.

Any use of the vehicle in the state doesn't count towards the ownership periods, so if you had the car with you in Ireland for long periods this may go against you.

If the OP was resident elsewhere he can import the car. The only relevance of visiting the State might be that his personal ties remained in Ireland, in which case he would be resident there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

OP,

You have to get this one sorted asap and clear up a few things as Customs are not one's to let sleeping dogs lie.
    First thing to find out is if the original seller signed the V5 Document declaring the vehicle was leaving the UK. If he did and its dated and sent to DVLA, you have 30 days to declare the vehicle here for the purpose of VRT. Contact the DVLA in Cardiff to confirm if he did in fact submit the original paperwork. If you are buying a vehicle in the UK make sure you have all the documentation required before you take the vehicle home. If this paperwork was not submitted to DVLA (informing them that the vehicle was for export) you may have wriggle room. That's something he/she should have done with you when he was selling the vehicle. However now the vehicle is back in the UK it will need to be re registered in NI. The original plates will be defunct and the new owner won't be long getting pulled over by the PSNI with ANPR in full use up the North. That car will be flagged on its original plates. Also I take it you didn't make a profit selling it to a buyer up the North?

So if were you driving the vehicle after having the car in the country for over 30 days you are liable for VRT and also you may have not been insured to drive the vehicle. I've brought a few cars in from the UK. Last year I bought one for myself and it was the first time my insurance company told me they would insure the vehicle for 30 days under its English plates and if I didn't contact them within the 30 days with a new Irish Reg the vehicle would not be insured. So check that one also with your insurance company.

The bottom line is you bought the vehicle in good faith to bring here. You should have had all the paperwork (V5 document and MOT) with you, its no one's fault but yours (harsh but fair). But get it sorted because these things can grow legs and cost you money in the long run. I would be going to someone who has better knowledge of the legal wrangles in exporting/importing vehicles sooner rather than later.

From Revenue:

The following requirements apply to the vehicle:

it must be your personal property
    it must have been acquired with all the appropriate local taxes paid and these must not have been exempted, or refunded in any way. (There are certain exceptions in the case of diplomats and members of international organisations recognised by the Department of Foreign Affairs. Details are outlined in a separate leaflet Transfer of Residence (Duty-Free Vehicles) or at any Revenue Office)
    you must have had possession of and have actually used the vehicle outside the State for at least 6 months before your transfer to Ireland. In the case of relief from import charges, you must have used the vehicle at your former normal place of residence. Any possession and use in the State, even during times when you were living abroad, does not count
    you must bring the vehicle into the State within 12 months of the date of your transfer of residence.

Will that do?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,851 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you pay the VRT you can reclaim it on export. Should only cost a few hundred Euro if you get onto it quickly and at least you'll have solid proof of its OMSP for the reclaim. Unless Revenue hit you with the 10% fine for driving without VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jcn50

Revenue will keep 500 of the refund.

How is this possible?...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,098 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

jcn50 wrote: »
    How is this possible?...

It's the amount they charge for the administration fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Fi Fi Trix

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you pay the VRT you can reclaim it on export. Should only cost a few hundred Euro if you get onto it quickly and at least you'll have solid proof of its OMSP for the reclaim. Unless Revenue hit you with the 10% fine for driving without VRT.

Not sure what this means? How do I do this? If I was a few weeks short of the 6mths in state, would they look closely at this?

• Advertisement

From Revenue:

The following requirements apply to the vehicle:

it must be your personal property
    it must have been acquired with all the appropriate local taxes paid and these must not have been exempted, or refunded in any way. (There are certain exceptions in the case of diplomats and members of international organisations recognised by the Department of Foreign Affairs. Details are outlined in a separate leaflet Transfer of Residence (Duty-Free Vehicles) or at any Revenue Office)
    you must have had possession of and have actually used the vehicle outside the State for at least 6 months before your transfer to Ireland. In the case of relief from import charges, you must have used the vehicle at your former normal place of residence. Any possession and use in the State, even during times when you were living abroad, does not count
    you must bring the vehicle into the State within 12 months of the date of your transfer of residence.

Will that do?

Thanks for that. I question if that complies with the EU directive.
    Let's say someone lives in Strabane, works in Letterkenny and they decided to move to Letterkenny, they might have used their car in the State every day but that does not change the fact that they moved and are entitled to bring their car with them.

Thanks for that. I question if that complies with the EU directive.
    Let's say someone lives in Strabane, works in Letterkenny and they decided to move to Letterkenny, they might have used their car in the State every day but that does not change the fact that they moved and are entitled to bring their car with them.

I have no idea TBH. I am vaguely aware that there are often considerations for "border" workers. I can only put up what I found when researching for my own situation.

I suspect Revenue would place the onus on the proposer to prove that they complied with the transfer of residence exemption requirements in any case.

Advertisement