Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can't sing and Play

• 02-09-2012 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I find that whenever I try to play an instrument and sing at the same time I start singing at the same tempo
    as the rhythm and it all goes pear shaped. When I play a good strumming pattern, I have to simplify it when
    I sing over it. I can't do them both separately. More importantly, when playing piano, because I have to
    focus so hard on what I'm playing, I find myself talking as opposed to singing.

How do I overcome this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Its a skill that not every musician can master. I wouldn't be deterred by that fact, you're competent on a couple of instruments so I'm sure that you're band material. If it is however you're goal to sing and play, practice makes makes perfect. I played/play both drums and bass in a band and contributed vocals, albeit in a backing form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I often have the same problem. It helps if you know the whole song (and each aspect of it) incredibly well, as you won't have to think so much about what you're doing. That said there are some songs I could never pull together - despite it being the first ever guitar riff I learned thirteen years ago, I could never sing Come As You Are while playing it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

Sinfonia wrote: »
    I could never sing Come As You Are while playing it :P

You are not the only one! I can start the vox just fine but after 5 seconds I'm just spouting nonsense and humming the tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

I find myself strumming the rhythm of the lyrics when trying to sing and play on guitar. I break it down to its simplest and will only strum once or twice and change notes on the lyrics strum once or twice... It will take alot of practice if you know the song without thinking of playing it the singing will come eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

practice practice practice.

I can sing and strum, so guitar, tenor guitar, mandolin and Octave mando are all good to go and I play and sing with all of the above in church on a regular basis.

bass on the other hand, I just can't sing along.....

a few harmony BVs maybe but not a lead vocal.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Try starting off with easier songs... Most four chord songs are easy to play and sing, but some take more effort... A lot of the songs on the radio I'd be able to play and sing (if I had the words and chords in front of me) without having to do much learning.. But some songs I've learnt to sing & play.... More Than Words, Blackbird, Nothing Else Matters .... are a lot more difficult... And require a lot of practice.

Just start off with an easy strum pattern and see if you can get through the song to begin with. Then build on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

You kind of have to "pin" words to different points in the song, in your mind. I don't really know how to explain it. But as was mentioned earlier, it requires you knowing every aspect of what you're playing VERY well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kalocinatir

Sometimes I've similar issues- I play mostly piano and dabbled a bit in guitar. The bottom line with piano and guitar is that the the piece has to be really well known- ideally you should know it off by heart and even be able to play it with your eyes closed! Some strumming patterns on guitar can be tricky even on their own but the movement really has to be 'in' your fingers. The vocals should also be well known as possible.

Put it this way, I'd try to not put the vocals and accompaniment together until I've mastered doing one at a time. Patience and persistence pay off with music and the results will be well worth it! Introduce the vocals line by line and keep your chin up :) A lot of musicians find this difficult but you'll get there.

Advertisement