Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random recipe thread

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Sorry, we should have mentioned that we decided ages ago to scrap the different "random recipe" threads and just have one from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

This was adapted from A Year at Avoca Cookbook for the Braised Venison with Red Wine and Chocolate recipe I cooked a few days before. I loved the rich sauce so much that I used it for the lamb shanks. The original recipe calls for 1.5kg of diced venison cooked at 180C for 75 min. I swapped for four decent size shanks, reduced the oven temperature at 150C and increased the cooking time. I also added carrot and celery.

006_zps4ee1a6c7.jpg

Braised Lamb Shanks

4 lamb shanks
    2 tbsp seasoned flour
    2 tbsp sunflower oil
    1 large Spanish onion, finely diced
    1 large carrot, diced
    1 stalk celery, finely diced
    3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
    ½ tsp five spice powder
    1 tbsp each chopped thyme and rosemary
    1 bay leaf
    250ml red wine
    2 tbsp tomato puree
    750ml - 1 litre beef stock - I used 2x Knorr Rich Beef jelly stock
    75g dark chocolate (54% cocoa) – I used Lidl’s dark chocolate 45%

Method:
    Pre-heat the oven at 150C. Toss the lamb shanks in seasoned flour until well coated. In a large ovenproof casserole dish, heat the oil on high, add the shanks and brown them evenly, about 3-4 minutes. Do this in batches if need be. Transfer the lamb onto a plate.
    Turn the heat down to medium and add the onion, cook until soft, about 6-10 minutes, then add garlic, five spice powder, carrots, celery and the herbs, and cook gently for a further minute. Pour in the red wine and allow to boil, scraping all the lovely sediment and caramelised meat juices from the bottom of the pot. Let it reduce by a third. Stir in the tomato puree. Return the lamb to the casserole, and add enough stock to cover the lamb by around 2cm.
    On medium heat bring the casserole to a simmer, and then transfer to the pre-heated oven for 90 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the dark chocolate, and if required, more stock, but I left it as it is as I really like the sauce rich. Cook for a further hour by which stage the meat should be very tender and falling off the bone.
    Here I served with champ and peas. Keep it simple as the sauce is ultra rich.

Chinese Fried Rice

This served four people, plus 2 grazing tots.

2 tbsp sunflower/groundnut oil
    2 eggs
    2 bowls cold cooked rice
    1 tsp sesame oil
    1 tbsp light soy sauce
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    3 spring onions, chopped
    1 carrot, finely diced
    a small cup of sweetcorn kernels
    a small cup of frozen peas
    salt and pepper

Method:
    Break the eggs in a bowl and whisk. Heat a tablespoon of oil in wok on high, add in the eggs and scramble until cooked. Remove.
    Add the rest of the sunflower oil into the wok and throw in the garlic, followed immediately by the rest of the veg. Return the scrambled eggs in and add the sesame oil and soy sauce and stir around briskly.
    Tip over the cold rice and stir around like there’s no tomorrow, until every single grain is coated with the sauce mixture, and the rice cooked through. Season to taste.
    If serving as an accompaniment, I’d leave the salt out as there’s enough seasoning from the soy sauce.
    Make it as a main course and add chicken or bacon/ham -- finely chop them and add in after the garlic, and let it cook through before adding the veg and sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Chinese Fried Rice

This served four people, plus 2 grazing tots.

2 tbsp sunflower/groundnut oil
    2 eggs
    2 bowls cold cooked rice
    1 tsp sesame oil
    1 tbsp light soy sauce
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    3 spring onions, chopped
    1 carrot, finely diced
    a small cup of sweetcorn kernels
    a small cup of frozen peas
    salt and pepper

Method:
    Break the eggs in a bowl and whisk. Heat a tablespoon of oil in wok on high, add in the eggs and scramble until cooked. Remove.
    Add the rest of the sunflower oil into the wok and throw in the garlic, followed immediately by the rest of the veg. Return the scrambled eggs in and add the sesame oil and soy sauce and stir around briskly.
    Tip over the cold rice and stir around like there’s no tomorrow, until every single grain is coated with the sauce mixture, and the rice cooked through. Season to taste.
    If serving as an accompaniment, I’d leave the salt out as there’s enough seasoning from the soy sauce.
    Make it as a main course and add chicken or bacon/ham -- finely chop them and add in after the garlic, and let it cook through before adding the veg and sauce.

Thank you so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭nompere

I was asked to make a fish pie recently. When I got to the fridge there was some cod, some salmon and some prawns, but no smoked fish. I do think a fish pie needs some smoked fish or similar.

So after a bit of thinking, this was the final recipe. It served three greedy people, but would probably have fed four in most circumstances. There were no leftovers!

500 grams of fish - cod, salmon and prawns, as above.
    100 grams chorizo
    800 grams floury potatoes, steamed and mashed
    3 eggs, hard-boiled and halved (optional - not everyone likes eggs in a fish pie.)
    milk and cream
    white wine
    1.5 tbspoons flour

1) Trim fish, and make a fish stock with skin, bones etc. Some white wine goes well in this stock. If there's no trimmings, about 200 ml of water and white wine is a substitute.
    2) Slice chorizo and fry gently.
    3) Cut fish into cubes and put fish and sliced chorizo into pie dish (I stopped pre-cooking fish in fish pies a long time ago. It's going to get 45 to 50 minutes in an oven.)
    4) Add flour to the fat from the chorizo, and cook gently. You might need a little butter if the chorizo didn't produce much fat.
    5) Add the fish stock to the roux made at 4). Add a little cream or milk. You want about 300 mls of a sauce that a spoon will stand up in. The sauce will become looser when the fish cooks in it.
    6) Mix the sauce with the fish and chorizo in the dish.
    7) Put the half-eggs on top of the fish and sauce
    8) Top with the mashed potato and bake in an oven at 160 degrees for about 45 minutes.

I served this with halved red peppers, stuffed with a mushroom duxelle, and cooked in the same oven as the pie.

• Advertisement

This has always been my mother's speciality for pot luck. It's normally BBQed, but I guess we'll just have to throw the chuck in the oven with this lovely Irish weather of ours.

1 whole chicken, spatchcocked
    1 can coconut milk
    3/4 tbsp sugar
    A slice of dried tamarind
    (sub: 1 tsp lime/lemon juice mixed with 1 tsp dark brown sugar)
    1 tbsp sunflower oil 

Spice rub:
    1 tbsp ground coriander 
    1 tbsp ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon cardamom seeds, crushed 
    1 tbsp ground turmeric 
    1 tbsp salt
    1 tbsp ground black pepper

Spice paste:
    5 shallots
    5 garlic cloves
    A decent thumb size of ginger
    A small thumb size of galangal
    (if you can't get this, just add more ginger)
    2 dried chillies, soaked in boiling water (sub: fresh red chillies)
    3 stalks lemongrass
    2 candlenuts
    (sub: macadamia/brazil nut/blanched almonds)
    salt & pepper

Score the chicken lightly a couple of times around the breast and legs.
    Combine the spice rub. Smother it all over the chicken. Set aside to marinade for at least an hour. 
    Place the chicken in a roasting tin and throw it in the preheated oven at 200C/180C fan.
    Meanwhile, blend all spice paste ingredients. 
    Heat oil in a pan on medium high. Add the spice paste and cook for a good 6-8 min, keep stirring to avoid burning. Add in coconut milk, sugar and tamarind slice, and stir. Turn the heat down low and let it simmer gently for 15 min, stir occasionally. Season to taste. Set aside.
    Take the chicken out after 30 min. Pour half of the spiced gravy over the chicken, ensuring it's well coated all around. Throw it back in the oven.
    After 20 min take the chicken out again and pour the rest of the gravy, and roast for another 20 min.
    Let it rest before carving. 

**Traditionally, chicken portions are cooked together with the spice blend and coconut milk in a pot half way through, and finished off on the barbie, basting the chicken (using a bruised lemongrass) from time to time with the gravy. 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

That sounds gorgeous Mrs Fox! Can I ask about the Tamarind? Its hard to get them whole here, but I use blocks of it to make paste/juice, how much should I substitute for the slice?

shinikins wrote: »
    That sounds gorgeous Mrs Fox! Can I ask about the Tamarind? Its hard to get them whole here, but I use blocks of it to make paste/juice, how much should I substitute for the slice?

About 1 generous tsp of pulp mixed with a tbsp or two of water should do it. Adjust if you think it needs more tang.
    Normally in the Asian shops you'd get the dried slices next to the blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

This was adapted from A Year at Avoca Cookbook for the Braised Venison with Red Wine and Chocolate recipe I cooked a few days before. I loved the rich sauce so much that I used it for the lamb shanks. The original recipe calls for 1.5kg of diced venison cooked at 180C for 75 min. I swapped for four decent size shanks, reduced the oven temperature at 150C and increased the cooking time. I also added carrot and celery.

I must say, this looks absolutely mouth-watering! Thanks for that and it's now in my bucket-list :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭nompere

I had to cook some parsnips the other day, and (whispering) I don't really like them very much.

This is a recipe that I've cooked a number of times over the years, in an attempt to make parsnips palatable. I do like them like this. I still don't like them fried as chips, roasted with or without honey, mashed, or naked and unadorned.

Like many of my recipes quantities are not exact. This amount fed two of us as an accompaniment to a chicken casserole.

2 carrots (that's all I had!)
    3 parsnips (ditto)
    1 medium onion
    a good lump of butter
    about 2 teaspoons ground coriander.

Peel and slice the vegetables - remove the woody cores from the parsnips.

Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the ground coriander and some salt and pepper, and all the vegetables. Cook very slowly, covered, for up to an hour, until the carrots and parsnips are tender. You won't need any water.

Roughly mash the contents of the pan.

That's it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Just found this. I know sometimes you read sometimes "this is simple to make" but in this case, it really is.

2 eggs, 1 banana

mush the banana as smooth as possible, beat in the 2 eggs.

fry in small bit of oil or butter.

savage. where have you been all my life. not like an omelette at all, like a sweet crepe

Note: I tested with 2 bananas + 2 eggs and the nana taste was too much. Kids couldnt tell there was a banana in it with just one but with 2 they wouldnt eat it.

• Been looking into two ingredient recipes recently. Must try this!

I made a nice pasta dish last night with mozzarella & spinach using the recipe below ( I added chicken too)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/cheryl-smith/bowtie-pasta-with-mozzarella-saute-recipe/index.html

Ingredients
    5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 tablespoons onion, small diced
    1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
    1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
    1 1/2 cups chicken stock
    1/2 pound bowtie pasta, cooked
    2 cups cherry tomato, halved
    1 cup fresh mozzarella, small cubes
    1 bunch fresh spinach, roughly chopped
    Kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper

Directions
    Heat a skillet over high flame. Put 3 tablespoons of olive oil, onions, garlic, thyme, and saute for 1 minute. Then add the chicken stock, and allow the sauce to reduce by 1/2. Now add the pasta, tomatoes, mozzarella, spinach, and toss to combine. Season the pasta with salt and pepper, to taste. Drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.

As per one of the posters on the site, I was unsure when to add the mozzarella so did so at the very end - just to warm it up and it went down a treat.

Loire.

Just found this. I know sometimes you read sometimes "this is simple to make" but in this case, it really is.

2 eggs, 1 banana

mush the banana as smooth as possible, beat in the 2 eggs.

fry in small bit of oil or butter.

savage. where have you been all my life. not like an omelette at all, like a sweet crepe

Note: I tested with 2 bananas + 2 eggs and the nana taste was too much. Kids couldnt tell there was a banana in it with just one but with 2 they wouldnt eat it.

I must say I read this and thought there's no way. But I made it for the small one at the weekend and she devoured it! Thanks a mil - a healthy snack too with bananas and eggs!!

BBQ weather is back folks and I'd love to share this amazing pasta salad recipe that has gone down really well with my guests. Don't be put off if you think the broccoli-grape combo is odd -- it's a marriage made in salad heaven!
    Please excuse the mix of metric and imperial measurements. It's adapted from Southern Living.

Broccoli, Grape and Pasta Salad

1 cup pecans, toasted and very roughly chopped
    450g farfalle (bow-tie) pasta
    450g fresh broccoli
    1 cup mayonnaise 
    1/3 cup sugar 
    1/3 cup diced red onion
    1/3 cup red wine vinegar
    1 tsp salt
    2 cups seedless red grapes, halved
    10 cooked streaky rashers, chopped (I used Denny Instants Streaky Bacon)

Cook the pasta according to package.
    Meanwhile, cut broccoli florets from stems, and separate florets into small pieces. Peel away tough outer layer of stems, and finely chop stems.
    Whisk together mayonnaise, sugar, red onion, vinegar and salt in a large bowl. Add broccoli, hot cooked pasta, and grapes, and stir to coat. Cover and chill 3 hours. 
    Stir rashers and pecans into salad just before serving.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,487 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Cauliflower Pizza Base

LCG, I tried making this twice at the weekend and the base was a disaster both times as it stuck to the parchment paper. The first time, I may not have drained the cauliflower properly after blanching. The second time, I made sure it was more drained and tried lightly coating the parchment paper with olive oil (which didn't seem like a great idea afterwards, considering its greaseproof - duh).

Any idea what I did wrong, or any other tips?

For the record, it was as tasty as ever (topped with jalapenos, olives, mozzarella and gouda) and the base didn't taste overly cauli-flowerish, but it completely fell apart when transferring to my plate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

BBQ weather is back folks and I'd love to share this amazing pasta salad recipe that has gone down really well with my guests. Don't be put off if you think the broccoli-grape combo is odd -- it's a marriage made in salad heaven!
    Please excuse the mix of metric and imperial measurements. It's adapted from Southern Living.

Broccoli, Grape and Pasta Salad

1 cup pecans, toasted and very roughly chopped
    450g farfalle (bow-tie) pasta
    450g fresh broccoli
    1 cup mayonnaise
    1/3 cup sugar
    1/3 cup diced red onion
    1/3 cup red wine vinegar
    1 tsp salt
    2 cups seedless red grapes, halved
    10 cooked streaky rashers, chopped (I used Denny Instants Streaky Bacon)

Cook the pasta according to package.
    Meanwhile, cut broccoli florets from stems, and separate florets into small pieces. Peel away tough outer layer of stems, and finely chop stems.
    Whisk together mayonnaise, sugar, red onion, vinegar and salt in a large bowl. Add broccoli, hot cooked pasta, and grapes, and stir to coat. Cover and chill 3 hours.
    Stir rashers and pecans into salad just before serving.
    Stupid question, but I'm presuming the broccoli is raw?

LCG, I tried making this twice at the weekend and the base was a disaster both times as it stuck to the parchment paper. The first time, I may not have drained the cauliflower properly after blanching. The second time, I made sure it was more drained and tried lightly coating the parchment paper with olive oil (which didn't seem like a great idea afterwards, considering its greaseproof - duh).

Any idea what I did wrong, or any other tips?

For the record, it was as tasty as ever (topped with jalapenos, olives, mozzarella and gouda) and the base didn't taste overly cauli-flowerish, but it completely fell apart when transferring to my plate

Nothing should stick to parchment paper. Are you sure it was parchment you were using, and not greaseproof paper? They're completely different things, and greaseproof, counter-intuitively, is not non-stick.

Stupid question, but I'm presuming the broccoli is raw?

Not at all stupid :) Yes it's raw broccoli. Don't be tempted to cook it or par-cook it as it will go mush in the salad.
    You'd want a nice crunchy texture. It's cut into small florets and dressed with vinegar so don't worry about it being too raw to eat.

The name refers to equal measurements of sesame oil, soy sauce and rice wine, so adjust accordingly to the amount of chicken. Use whichever part of the bird you fancy, bone-in is best for added flavour; lean chicken fillets work too but reduce the cooking time.

002_zps5a1c497c.jpg

San Bei Ji
    Taiwanese Three-cup Chicken

Ingredients
    2lbs chicken bone-in, cut into pieces (I used a standard tray of drumsticks, cut in half)
    1 tbsp baking soda
    10 slices ginger
    10 garlic cloves, crushed
    7-8 dried chillies (this is pretty spicy, so adjust depending on how much you love your heat, or leave it out altogether)
    1/3 cup toasted sesame oil
    1/3 cup dark sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
    1/3 cup Shaoxing rice wine
    1/3 cup water
    A whole bunch of spring onion, sliced at 1-inch length.
    A bunch of Thai basil or regular basil

Rub the chicken with baking soda and leave it for 10 minutes. This will act as a tenderiser. Rinse under the tap, ensuring the soda is completely washed off, before patting the chicken dry.
    Heat sesame oil in wok on high, and add ginger, garlic and chillies; stir fry until fragrant.
    Throw the chicken pieces in and stir, coating them with the aromatics and oil, until lightly browned.
    Pour in the soy sauce, rice wine and water. Stir to a boil. Reduce the heat and let it simmer gently, covering the wok with a lid, for about 20 minutes. 
    Then continue to let it simmer, uncovered, for another 15 minutes; this will reduce the sauce significantly. Stir occasionally.by the way, this dish is meant to be on the dry side, so if you prefer a bit of sauce in it just reduce the uncovered simmering time.
    Throw in the spring onions and basil, a final quick stir and that's it. Serve immediately with fluffy rice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Cooked me some good auld pie, and decided to throw up some pictures. Also so that I could have a recipe for future reference :D

The electric cooker is heat switches 1-6. No idea how hot each one is. Times were done about 10 hours after I cooked it, so are estimates.

Mince: 930g
    Potatoes: about 1100g
    Peas & carrots: 470g
    4 large tablespoons of Bisto + 1l of water
    Butter: 150g
    Cream: 300ml
    Ketchup: 2 long squeezes
    Garlic: 4 large cloves
    Olive oil: dash
    Salt and black pepper for taste
    • Peal the potatoes, chop them in two (to decrease cooking time) and steam them.
    • Put a dash of oil on the pan, throw the mince into frying fan, and put a big sqeeze of ketchup on the mince, cover, and put on heat 2.
    • Mix Bisto and water, and throw it into the drying pan after 5 minutes. Hit temp up to 4.
    • After another 5 minutes, stir it all up with a wooden spatula.
    • Turn down to heat 2 and cover
    • Chop up carrots.
    • Put carrots and peas into separate bowls, each with a drop of water and microwave for about 3.5 minutes each. This cooks the peas, and softens up the carrots a bit. I hate crunchy carrots:mad:
    • The mince is now totally brown. Keep stirring it, so none gets stuck to the base. Throw in the peas and carrots, and mix.
    • Crush garlic using garlic presser. This ensures an even mix of garlic, and no lumps of the stuff. Crush directly into the mince mix, and mix it in.
    • Put another squeeze of ketchup in, stir, and leave for another 5-10 minutes.
    • Potatoes are now cooked. Empty water, and mash spuds. Leave lid off, to help rid spuds of excess water.
    • Mince is totally cooked, mix one last time, cover, and leave it in the pan, put off any hot rings.
    • Put potatoes into a bowl, and pix using a whisk.
    • Heat cream for a minute. Throwing cold cream into spuds would cool them down too much, so you want the cream a bit warm. Whisk it as you do so.
    • Throw in the butter, leave it melt a bit, and whisk it in.
    • Put in salt and pepper for taste. Even if you (like me) don't like pepper on your food, I recommend you try some inside the potatoes, as it gives it a nice kick.
    • How much cream determines how silky the potatoes shall be. Maybe 300ml was a tad overkill, but it whisked nicely.
    • Put mince mix into a glass bowl thing (see picture below).
    • Cover with potatoes.
    • Put in the oven at 200 degrees until the top roasts a little.
    • Take out, allow to cool, and either serve, or split up into packages to freeze for a later date.

The above got me 6 helpings of about 440g each. Going to wait for them to totally cool, and freeze 5 of them, and have the other one later today.

In the glass bowl:
    260505.jpg

One helping:
    260504.jpg

Six packages:
    260506.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Cauliflower fritters from Ottolenghi cookbook
    Serves 4
    1 small cauliflower
    120g flour (recipe says plain I used wholemeal spelt)
    3 tbsp chopped flat leafed parsley (I didn't have any so used some coriander)
    1 garlic clove
    2 shallots finely chopped
    4 eggs
    1 1/2tsp ground cumin
    1tsp cinnamon
    1/2tsp turmeric
    1 1/2tsp salt
    1tsp pepper
    Oil for frying

Chop the cauliflower into small pieces and steam or boil until soft about 15mins
    Put the other ingredients except the oil in a bowl and mix to form a smooth batter
    Add the cauliflower and mix to break it up
    Heat oil in a frying pan
    Add 3tbsp of batter to the pan and fry until golden on both side. Repeat until you've cooked all the batter. I did.3 at a time
    Alternatively cook in the oven at 180oc for 30mins. I put 2tbsp blobs of batter on a lined baking tray

I love Bourguignon but never tried it with venison, so when I came across this on the Sunday Times magazine I was dying to share it here since it's stew and game season. Has to be served with filthily rich and buttery mash. Yum.

Venison Bourguignon
    serves 4

3 tbsp olive oil
    700g venison shoulder or leg, cut into chunks
    1 onion, diced
    1 carrot, finely chopped
    3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    500ml red wine, or 300ml red wine and 200ml port
    300ml fresh dark chicken stock
    1 bay leaf
    a few sprigs of thyme
    2 cloves

For garnishing:
    1 tbsp butter
    100g thick-cut, good quality smoked bacon or pancetta, cut into lardons
    100g baby white onions
    100g button mushrooms sliced
    1 tsp finely chopped parsley

Preheat the oven to 180C. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a casserole and brown the venison in batches. Toss in the onion and carrot and gently saute for 10 minutes until softened and tinged with gold. For the last minute, fry the garlic.
    Return the meat to the pan. Pour over the red wine, port if using, and the stock. Add the bay, thyme and cloves and stir. Bring to the boil then cover the pan and place in the oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes until the meat is soft and the sauce is full of flavour.
    Rest the casserole for 10 minutes with the lid on and season to taste. For the garnish, heat the butter in a frying pan and fry the bacon until it starts to turn golden. Add the onions after a few minutes then add the mushroom for the final minute.
    Season and finish with parsley.

An easy, yummy pasta bake recipe I got recently from my aunt. It's surprisingly delish given the ubiquitous ingredients!

1 Packet of pasta
    I tin of chopped tomatoes
    1 small carton of cream
    A cupful of grated cheddar
    I packet of mushrooms sliced

Heat the over to 180

Boil the pasta until Al Dente, drain, then add to an oven-proof dish (Pyrex etc).

Fry the mushrooms

Add the chopped tomatoes, cream, half the cheddar and mushrooms to the pasta and give it a good stir to coat the pasta well. Top with the remaining cheddar and bake in the over (180) for about 20-25 minutes.

Enjoy

Loire

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

First get out your Muffin baking tray, There is normally 6 per tray. Put on oven to 200. Put a drop of oil in each section and put tray in oven too.
    Get 3 identical mugs/glasses/cups etc and crack 2 eggs into the first cup and beat with a fork. In second cup mug etc fill to the same level with self raising flour as cup one. Plain flour works too
    Cup no 3 fill to same level with milk. Pour the whole lot into mixing bowl and mix and season.
    By now the oil should be sizziling on your muffin trays, remove tray and pour in mixture about halfway up each section and return to oven.
    After about 15 mins they will have risen and the centre will have dropped. Fill with whatever you fancy, Cooked chicken brest with cheese and mayo does it for me but whatever you like in Vol au Vons works too.
    Fill to the top with mixture and return to oven for 7/8 mins.
    They are to die for !
    2 eggs to start is good for 6 but adjust if you need more. once the level is the same in all 3 cups /mugs at the start, You are good to go.

There are a number of things that the husband would prefer if I cook them while he's out stationed. I was doing cart wheels when he said he won't be back the other evening. I knew I had to cook a good spicy and pungent sambal, with Nasi Lemak/coconut rice.

Sambal
    Spice paste:
    15 dried red chillies, stems removed, snipped in half
    5 medium shallots
    3 cloves garlic
    1 stalk lemongrass, sliced
    4 anchovies fillets
    ½ tsp ground turmeric
    1 tsp tomato paste
    3 tbsp veg oil

Others:
    1 onion, finely sliced
    1 tbsp tamarind paste
    1 tbsp granulated sugar
    ½ cup water
    Salt to taste
    Optional: a handful of dried silver anchovies, fried to a slight crisp

Soak the chillies in a bowl of hot water for half an hour, to soften.
    Drain, leaving all the seeds behind. Place them along with the rest of the spice ingredients into a processor and whizz to a paste.
    Heat a non-stick wok on medium. Add in the spice paste. Sautee for about 8-10 minutes, until fragrant and the colour has turned deep red. Keep stirring so it doesn't stick to the bottom and burn. It's really important to cook the paste thoroughly.
    Add in water, sugar, tamarind paste and onion, and if using, the fried silver anchovies. Cook until onion softens, about 10-15 minutes, covered. But keep checking from time to time and give a stir. Check seasoning. I like my sambal slightly wet, but if you like it thick and dry, continue to simmer uncovered until the liquid has evaporated.

Nasi Lemak:
    1 cup long grain rice (I personally prefer the mixture of half long grain and half Jasmine)
    ½ cup coconut milk
    1 cup water
    1 tsp salt
    1 pandan leaf, tied in a knot

Since I have a rice cooker, I just throw everything in the pot, click 'cook' and let the magic happen.
    Otherwise, throw everything in a saucepan, bring to boil then reduce the heat to low at once. Cover with a lid and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Turn the heat off. Fluff the rice with a fork very gently. Put the lid back on again and let it sit for at least 10 minutes, or until ready to serve.

Serve Nasi Lemak with sambal, boiled/fried egg, slices of cucumber and toasted peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

I'm going to throw up a few asian desert recipes on here. Honestly, I'm going to put them up for people who can guess what to do. So it's going to be a quick summary.

Mango and Coconut Stir Fry

Ingredients:

1/4 cocunut
    1 large mango
    Juice of 2 limes
    1 tbsp sunflower oil
    15g butter
    two tbsp clear honey
    creme frache to serve

Steps:

1) Drain the milk from the cocunut and peel the flesh with a vegetable peeler.

2) slice the mango

3) Marinate the mango in the juice and rind of the lime

4) heat the wok and add two tsp oil to the wok. When the oil is hot add the butter. Wait for the butter to melt then stir in the coconut flakes and stir fry for 1-2 minutes or until they are golden brown. Remove and drain on kitchen paper. Wipe out wok. Strain the mango slices and reserve the juice.

5) heat the wok and add the remaining oil. Stir fry the mango in the hot oil for 1-2 minutes, then add the juice and allow to bubble and reduce for one minute. Stir in the honey, sprinkle on cocunut flakes and serve with crme fraiche.

Steamed Cocunut Custard. (Just thought I'd put this in because I find the idea of it so weird :P)

Ingredients:
    400 mil concunut milk.
    five tbsp water.
    twenty-five grammes of sugar
    three eggs, beaten.
    25g cellophane noodles
    four ripe bannanas or plantains, peeled and cut in small pieces.
    Salt
    Vanilla ice cream to serve, if ya want.

Steps:

1) Stir the concunt milk, water and sugar into the beaten eggs and whisk well together.
    2) Strain into a 1.75 litre heatproof suffle dish.

3) Drain the noodles well and cut them into small pieces with the scissors. Stir the noodles into the coconut milk mixture, together with the chopped banans or plantains. Stir in a pinch of salt.

4) Cover the dish with foil and place in a steamer for about 1 hour, or until set. Test by inserting a thin, small knife or skewer into the centre. Serve hot or cold, on its own or topped with vanilla ice-cream.

Hmmm, I wonder is there any alternative to a souffle dish?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Hmmm, I'm also going to throw this up because I would love to see someone make it ;) And, also, it sounds feckin' delicious.

Pancakes filled with sweet coconut

Makes 12-15 pancakes.

Ing:

175 grammes dark brown sugar
    450 ml water
    1 pandan leaf, stripped through with a fork and tied into a knot.
    175 grammes desiccated coconut.
    Oil for frying
    Salt

For pancake batter:
    225 plan flour
    2 eggs, beaten
    2 drops of edible green food colouring
    Few drops of vanilla essence
    450 ml cups of water
    45 ml groundnut oil

Direction:

1) Dissolve sugar in the water with the pandan leaf, in a pan over gentle heat, stirring all the time. Increase the heat and allow to boil gently for 3-4 minutes, until the mixture just becomes syrupy. Do not let it caramelize.

2) Put the coconut into a wok with a pinch of salt. Pour over the prepared sugar syrup and cook over a very gentle heat, stirring from time to time, until the mixture becomes almost dry; this will take 5-10 minutes. Set aside until required.

3) To make the batter, blend together the flour , eggs, food colouring, vanilla essence, water and oil either by hand or in a food processor.

4) Cook the pancakes. (Meh, there's measurements of the pan here, but I think it's just cooking a pancake)
    Fill the pancake with a generous spoonful of the mixture and serve immediately.

Do you mean 1.75 and 2.25 grams, or 175 and 225 grams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Why do the pancakes need to be green??

Advertisement