Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2010 Cooking Club Week 48: Pulled Pork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

New batch of this on, after leaving the rubbed-up pork in the fridge for a full week (not planned, just work going insane and days ending at 0130) and some oregano in the cooking liquid. Ah, experimentation...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Made it again myself last night. Bringing it to a party this evening so meant to start it on Thursday but forgot. Put the rub on yesterday afternoon and then into the slow cooker last night at around 2:30am somewhat inebriated. Had no green chilli either so used chilli flakes. Still tastes just as good as usual though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Had my second attempt at this today.

I have a big (approx. 6ltr) slow cooker, and found the last time I tried it a lot of the cooking liquids cooked away and it all fell apart, so this time put in a good bit more coke to the cooking liquid. I also only left it for 6 hours today and it was perfectly cooked and still together, so just took it out. The piece of pork I had was a little smaller than the one in the recipe and I think my slow cookers seems to cook a little faster.

I also cut down on the quantity of bbq sauce and cider vinegar for the sauce, found it a little overpowering for my taste the last time, and turned out lovely! Absolutely love this receipe, just about to tuck in!!!

Mimojo wrote: »
    I have a big (approx. 6ltr) slow cooker, and found the last time I tried it a lot of the cooking liquids cooked away and it all fell apart, so this time put in a good bit more coke to the cooking liquid. I also only left it for 6 hours today and it was perfectly cooked and still together, so just took it out. The piece of pork I had was a little smaller than the one in the recipe and I think my slow cookers seems to cook a little faster.
    Yeah, I've found that my old family-size slow cooker gets a lot hotter than the one I use myself (the one in the recipe is the one I use myself - the small white one from argos). You have to cook on high for the small white argos model; for my older morphy richards model, cooking on low was fine. Some experimentation and monitoring will be needed the first time you cook this I guess - I didn't anticipate that properly when I wrote the recipe out :(
    I also cut down on the quantity of bbq sauce and cider vinegar for the sauce, found it a little overpowering for my taste the last time, and turned out lovely! Absolutely love this receipe, just about to tuck in!!!
    Glad you enjoyed it :)
    I found, btw, that on the days when I make too much sauce, that letting the meat sit in a sieve for an hour or so over a bowl to catch the run-off helps a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Sparks wrote: »
    Yeah, I've found that my old family-size slow cooker gets a lot hotter than the one I use myself (the one in the recipe is the one I use myself - the small white one from argos). You have to cook on high for the small white argos model; for my older morphy richards model, cooking on low was fine. Some experimentation and monitoring will be needed the first time you cook this I guess - I didn't anticipate that properly when I wrote the recipe out :( .

Slightly OT: We had the same slow cooker as you - the white Argos 2L 90W one. 'Moved up' this weekend to its big brother - Argos 3.5L 200W one (currently €10). Used it yesterday for a curry and it definitely runs a lot hotter than the smaller one - even the outside gets uncomfortably hot. Noticed also that the liquid appreciably reduced during the day - didn't get this with the smaller one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Would a halogen cooker work here? Have never used one or a slow cooker, but may be getting a loan of the former.

No idea what a halogen cooker even is TBO :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Had my pork sitting in spices since yesterday morning, bought a slow cooker in Aldi today and put it on to cook this afternoon, should be ready just about the same time as we get home from the pub tonight. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

made this over the last couple of days. didn't actually follow any recipe, just kinda threw it all in with a whole shoulder of pork using a variation on my own secret bbq sauce recipe, but it worked very well.

i didn't dry rub the meat so i left the skin & fat on and just took it off once everything was cooked and it went into the big slow cooker on the 'warm' setting rather than low or high and i just left it there to slowly cook for 24 hours, turning it over somewhere in the middle of the process to make sure it was evenly cooked.

i can post up a close approximation of how i did it if anyone is interested, but in the meantime here's some pics.

th_IMG_20110920_160454.jpg th_IMG_20110920_160806.jpg th_IMG_20110920_163334.jpg th_IMG_20110920_163306.jpg

the cooking liquor was reduced down to about 1/3 and i finely chopped the oniony/chilli bits and added it all back in to the final product to be served on some lightly toasted mini slider type floured white baps from Aldi with a touch of mayo and they were awesome. would probably feed 8-10 people from a €10 lump of pork shoulder.

Interesting take on it vibe, leaving on the skin. It's how you're meant to do it if you're doing this in a BBQ (not a grill, but a proper american barbecue smoker), but I didn't think it'd work in a slow cooker. Good to know!

(And isn't it fantastically economical?)

• Advertisement

it came out great i have to say, even the wife was impressed. :)

great as a learning experience too, i'm more than happy with how it turned out with the 24 hours of (extra slow) slow cooking and i'm confident that it was worth adding the water make up the liquid content and keep it submerged to keep it moist and then cooking the juices down again afterwards to leave me back with the right consistency for the bbq sauce.

definitely worth chopping up the oniony/chilli bits and adding them back in too, lots of flavour to be had there.

also, the fat and skin came off really easily, kind of like peeling a blanched tomato, it all just slid off with minimal effort and i'm sure there was extra flavour in the finished product from it, even though the sauce didn't end up too oily. there was time to remove any oil from the surface before i pulled out the pork at the end, but after that it was all pretty well mixed with the other juices and i didn't really have time to let it rest enough to drain off any fat then, but there wasn't a huge amount so i left it as it was.

also, there was a huge amount of meat out of the €10 shoulder, even after the bones, fat & skin were removed, you can see it's over the halfway mark on the slow cooker pot in the 'pulled' picture.

well happy here anyway and plenty of leftovers (even enough to feed the freezer for a few portions on another day). :)

here's what passes for the recipe anyway, although everything is an approximation as i don't really do set recipes, everything is adjusted by taste and guesswork. :)

you might want to get it with the bone out if you don't have a big slow cooker, but mine's the 6.5L cookworks one i got in argos for a €15 and it's just about big enough for the bone in one.

you can get the butcher to remove the skin & fat if you like, but i cook mine with the skin on and then remove it afterwards as there's loads of flavour in it that you'll want the meat to be cooking in.

i got a whole shoulder of pork with the bone in for €10 and you could comfortably feed 8-10 people with it.

line the bottom of the slow cooker with sliced onion and then put your pork in, make sure the lid fits and then throw in:
    3 whole red & green dutch chilli's (the milder finger/thumb sized ones you get in the supermarket)
    3 chopped cloves of garlic

for the bbq sauce, in a jug put:
    1 small (not too heaped, it's pretty strong) teaspoon of smoked paprika (tesco do a really nice spanish one in their finest selection, well worth a buy)
    400 grams of brown sugar (dark muscavado if you can)
    1/2 teaspoon of fine ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon of fine ground white pepper
    1/2 tablespoon of worcestersostershire sauce
    5 tablespoons of honey
    5 tablespoons of tomato sauce
    5 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
    heaped teaspoon of english mustard

(as a side note, this is more or less what i make to baste my bbq ribs and wings and its so much better than anything you can buy in the shops and only takes 5 minutes to make, although you'll need to cook it out if you're not adding it to something as you're cooking it, like as a dipping sauce, or to wings after they're cooked).

give it a good stir up and adjust the taste to suit, it should be sweet & sticky without any one flavour overpowering everything else, use more sweet stuff to balance the spice & visa versa as needed.

pour the sauce into the slow cooker on top of your pork and then stop up with water to a couple of cm below the rim where the lid will sit to stop it getting too dry and turn it on.

you'll probably get away with 6 hours on the high setting or 10 hours on the low one, but i did mine for 24 hours on 'warm' and it was perfect, so if you're patient and don't mind the electricity bill, you know what to do. :o)

whichever setting you use, turn the meat over halfway through to ensure even cooking.

once it's cooked, take out the meat and leave it to rest for about 30 minutes and then (removing skin & fat if you didn't already) go at it with a couple of forks in the same way that chinese restaurants do crispy duck at your table, shredding it.

strain the cooking liquor through a sieve and put the liquid in a pan to reduce to about 1/3 of its original volume, or until it's nice and thick and sticky like a good bbq sauce should be. :o)

again, there's lots of flavour to be had from the strained bits so feel free to finely chop them and add them back to the pulled pork, including or removing the chilli's at this stage depending on how spicy you like it.

now stick the pork, oniony bits and reduced bbq sauce back into the slow cooker and leave it on warm until you are ready to serve. all we did was get a pack of 8 small white baps from Aldi, lightly toasted them, added some mayo and piled them high with the pulled pork before stuffing them in your mouth and going om nom nom nom. :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Vibe, I'm making your BBQ sauce at the moment and either I fcuked up somehow, or there's a typo in the recipe somewhere, cause mine tastes more like caramel than barbie sauce. Is it definitely 400g of sugar? I've added probably a third more vinegar than the recipe calls for and it's still like treacle :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Vibe, I'm making your BBQ sauce at the moment and either I fcuked up somehow, or there's a typo in the recipe somewhere, cause mine tastes more like caramel than barbie sauce. Is it definitely 400g of sugar? I've added probably a third more vinegar than the recipe calls for and it's still like treacle :(

400g is almost a full bag of sugar - does seem an awful lot!

400g is almost a full bag of sugar - does seem an awful lot!

I was thinking that even as I was weighing it, but, having never made a sauce like this before, I followed the recipe. I'm now at easily twice the vinegar and twice the ketchup and it's still far too sweet. I'm going to leave it to rest til tomorrow, but I can see myself having to add a lot more vinegar and maybe some brown sauce to try and salvage it.

Help us, Vibe!

crap sorry, i only just saw the thread. i was doing it from memory and thinking that a full bag of sugar is 1kg, but the muscavado ones are actually only half that, so you'll only need about 200g of sugar. really sorry, hope i didn't ruin it for you. :(

vibe666 wrote: »
    crap sorry, i only just saw the thread. i was doing it from memory and thinking that a full bag of sugar is 1kg, but the muscavado ones are actually only half that, so you'll only need about 200g of sugar. really sorry, hope i didn't ruin it for you. :(

We ended up going out for dinner yesterday, so will be returning to this tonight. I'm hoping the juice of a lemon and maybe a couple of tbs of brown sauce will sort this out. I'll let you know how I get on!

you could always just double up on the other ingredients and keep the rest for something else?

again, really sorry. one of the side effects of never measuring anything is you don't know how much you're actually using when you're passing stuff on. :(

Well, the sauce was a dead loss, unfortunately. Doubled up on all the savoury ingredients, tried adding the juice of a lemon, but no joy, it was still like treacle.

I ended up straining the cooking liquid from the pork into another pot and just reducing that right down with extra vinegar & pepper and using that to sauce the pork and I have to say, it was gorgeous. I didn't care for the pulled pork the first time I made it, mostly because I found the BBQ sauce way too overpowering, but this time round it was much, much nicer.

We had it in sliders with homemade slaw, pickles & chips.

293670_10150457141967678_552147677_11182098_773254794_n.jpg

really sorry it didn't work out for you, i'm going to have to do proper measurements next time i make it and make sure i get exact quantities of each ingredient for the recipe. really genuinely sorry it didn't work out. :(

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    really sorry it didn't work out for you, i'm going to have to do proper measurements next time i make it and make sure i get exact quantities of each ingredient for the recipe. really genuinely sorry it didn't work out. :(

Ah you're grand! I never really measure anything myself, so I know how hard it can be trying to write out a recipe you're used to making by eye.

thanks, feeling a little better about it now. :o

now, winter's coming so it's time to start making a big batch of our annual ham & veg soup.

2 ham shoulders, heaps of veg, stock & herbs and spices and a ton of that barley/lentil soup mix stuff. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Santa dropped off a slow cooker...

Not table salt, so what's the alternative - sea salt? Also don't have onion granules, but could probably pick those up (missing a few other bits, too). Even Tesco do smoked paprika now.

Black Oil wrote: »
    Santa dropped off a slow cooker...
    Good man Santa :D
    Not table salt, so what's the alternative - sea salt?
    Sea salt, rock salt, anything at all. The only problem with table salt is the iodine in it tends to stain stuff if it's used in any long cooking process - I made pickled pork for a Red Beans & Rice recipe once (it's a Cajun dish that I still haven't gotten right) and it came out purple because I had run out of sea salt and used table salt instead. Really awful looking.
    Also don't have onion granules, but could probably pick those up (missing a few other bits, too). Even Tesco do smoked paprika now.
    Yup, I made it a point to get everything in Tesco - pulled pork, like chilli and almost every other great classic dish out there, is poor people food, so going to places like Fallon&Byrne for ingredients isn't so much a luxury as a mistake for this dish!

I had a look back over the thread and saw your shopping breakdown here. Haven't used molasses. Also, re setting the cooker to high, are you safe enough doing that for 8 hours? I haven't even taken it out of the box yet, so I might try a smaller recipe first.

Also, re setting the cooker to high, are you safe enough doing that for 8 hours?
    'high' is a very subjective term when it comes to slow cookers. high on a slow cooker is still a lot lower than you'd be able to set on any other cooking device, it's just higher compared to the low setting on the slow cooker. :)

Thanks. :)

Have most of the bits now, bar onion granules and mild chilli powder (just have hot) and no BBQ sauce (could probably make that). Mustn't forget to get a small bottle of Coke, either.

What do you do with the sauce at this stage? The one it's just been cooked in and before you make the new batch of sauce, do you throw away the old stuff?

Yup, I chucked it when I made it before.

On the BBQ sauce, the missus isn't a big fan of BBQ sauce so depending on whether she's getting some I sometimes skip this step.

Thanks. :)

Have most of the bits now, bar onion granules and mild chilli powder (just have hot) and no BBQ sauce (could probably make that). Mustn't forget to get a small bottle of Coke, either.

What do you do with the sauce at this stage? The one it's just been cooked in and before you make the new batch of sauce, do you throw away the old stuff?

Black Oil, last time I made this I ditched the barbeque sauce and made my own sauce from the cooking liquid and it was excellent, I much preferred it to using the original recipe. It also seemed like such a shame to just chuck out that lovely, mellow cooking liquid.

Just strain the liquid into a medium pot. Discard the strained veg, bring to the boil and allow to reduce by two-thirds. Stir in 3 tbs brown sauce and about 2 tbs white vinegar (maybe taste it after the first spoonful of vinegar; I do like mine quite sharp), then add the chopped pork and warm through as normal.

• Advertisement

Myself, I chuck it, but as Honey says, you can use it to make the sauce if you want - it's personal preference really. I think doing that leads more towards the sharper, vinegar-based kind of BBQ sauce rather than the sweeter kind, so I don't do that, but you ought to try both ways really :D

Advertisement