Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One step at a time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Sosa wrote: »
    Tempo

Mini taper week as i enter into the last 3 weeks of my 12 week " getting in shape to tackle a 12 week marathon " program.
    I will have 3 races in 13 days starting next Monday in Mallow that will give me a realistic picture of where i am.
    Today i reduced the tempo to 4m...and got through it ok,tougher route this week as there was a few miles to encounter but nothing everest like but a test all the same.

1.5m easy
    4m - 23:42 - 5:55,5:56,5:5:56 and 5:55
    2m easy

7.5 Total

Just catching up with your log. Youre in great shape early in the year. Going to try a marathon this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Just catching up with your log. Youre in great shape early in the year. Going to try a marathon this year?

Yeah,im doing the Waterford Marathon on June 30th,looking forward to it,i miss training for one and feel its the only distance that i dedicate training to,i try do it for the shorter stuff but after a while start doing my own thing again...with the marathon its different somehow !

Yeah,im doing the Waterford Marathon on June 30th,looking forward to it,i miss training for one and feel its the only distance that i dedicate training to,i try do it for the shorter stuff but after a while start doing my own thing again...with the marathon its different somehow !

indeed it is! Good luck - will follow with interest

Med Long

Time was of the essence today so literally ran when i could to when i had to stop...wanted to do 15 but just didnt have the time but not too bothered as things are going well and i have Mallow on Monday so probably better off.
    The plan was do the first 10 sub 70 and then ease off for the remainder.
    did 10 in 69:20 then coasted home to still average under 7:00 for the run

13.1m @ 6:59p

Might do a 5m recovery later tonight as then all i will do before monday will be 5/6m on Sat morning.

Recovery

Went out for this tonight afterall...felt ok and purposely ran over 8:00p,nice drizzly rain for company and the "off the ball" lads.

5m @ 8:06p

18.1m for the day !

• Advertisement

Aerobic

Missed my morning run today,took a lie in and headed into town for the parade and the festivities...enjoyable day and 2 nice pints of the black stuff,said to myself i'll run before work in the morning instead,got home then and decided to run today to rest tomorrow with Monday in mind.
    Legs a bit wobbly for the first mile but came around,it was my first time ever running with drink in me,didnt really enjoy it but was not as bad as expected.I won't be making a habit of it,no harm done though and i can rest up now until Monday.

5m @ 7:29p

Mallow 10 - 59:27 PB

I was really optomistic about this one,i had had a very good training block since the Dungarvan 10 and felt i was in good nick going up to this.
    Got up there with an hour to spare and it was fairly blustery..but not that bad.
    Registered and did a half mile warm up before going back to the car and get togged out as the start was over a mile away...ended up being nearly 1.5m from where i had parked but i was super slow heading down.
    I find that i do faster warm ups for 10k/5m races and slowere ones for 10m/half distance...trying to keep the energy levels high i suppose.
    I met TNO before the start and we had a quick chat before we toed the line.

Off we went bang on time and the first 1.5m was into a fairly tough headwind,just aswell it was the start i suppose...the rest is a kind of blur as i tend to switch off when i am running comfortably and let the miles tick off while keeping an eye on the pace,some sections were slow and some fast so i was compensating on those to maintain a pace just under 6:00...mile 5 was all into a headwind also but got to halfway in 29:45 and thought this is ideal another half the same and a nice 59:30 would be mine...tipped away very controlled up to 8m and then i felt a stitch coming on me,it was only mild so kept going,i had upped the pace here and by 9m it was bad,but i thought it would be ok as i had only a mile to go...by 9.5m i was doubled over,real bad pain and slowed badly ( it felt,but not as bad as i thought it would impact my time ) i honestly may have had to drop out if i had another mile to go it was that bad...i was hunched over the last stretch which was dissapointing as the legs were screaming at me to put the foot down and up the pace...ended up doing 5:55 for the last mile...but i was 5:41 through half of it...lost about 10-15s on that...so all in all really happy to post a PB,dissapointed with the finish and with no stitch and no wind...sub 59 was certainly there for me today...
    Well organised race by the rebels,pity about the roadworks in places but they had all areas well stewarded.

Roll on the Masters Road Race next week ( the oul fellas race )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

well done again on the PB! great position to start into the next couple months of marathon training.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done Sosa! Great running and congrats on the PB.

great stuff sosa, you'll be under 59 in no time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

then i felt a stitch coming on me,it was only mild so kept going,i had upped the pace here and by 9m it was bad,but i thought it would be ok as i had only a mile to go...by 9.5m i was doubled over,real bad pain and slowed badly ( it felt,but not as bad as i thought it would impact my time ) i honestly may have had to drop out if i had another mile to go it was that bad...i was hunched over the last stretch which was dissapointing as the legs were screaming at me to put the foot down and up the pace...ended up doing 5:55 for the last mile...but i was 5:41 through half of it...lost about 10-15s on that...so all in all really happy to post a PB,dissapointed with the finish and with no stitch and no wind...sub 59 was certainly there for me today...
    Well organised race by the rebels,pity about the roadworks in places but they had all areas well stewarded.

Roll on the Masters Road Race next week ( the oul fellas race )

I saw you coming in, you looked in a jock alright. I've been there, its horrible to run a solid race and then to feel a stitch coming on. Theres a video on the cork running blog, so you can relive your finish ad nausem

tunguska wrote: »
    I saw you coming in, you looked in a jock alright. I've been there, its horrible to run a solid race and then to feel a stitch coming on. Theres a video on the cork running blog, so you can relive your finish ad nausem

Thanks Tunguska,just watched the clip and didnt look at bad as i felt,but as the line neared i got worse,you know the usual...just relieved to be that close to the end.Im just thankful it was not a mile earlier.

Aerobic

A day's rest yesterday that i enjoyed but would have liked a run of some sort,today i got up at 1 as off nights and headed out the door for 1:30,still with sleep in my eyes,i find that if i sit around for a while after nights i find it near impossible to get going...so always head straight out the door when up and enjoyed a "makey uppy" run....turned out to be 9m and just didnt bother doing some sort of loop to make it 10 as a 9m run would usually insist that i make up the shortfall...not today...

9m @ 7:21p

Med Long

Just back in from the wind and rain and now sitting here after a nice hot shower in the warmth of my tv room just about to watch the continuation of the ncaa basketball tournament on espn america....looking forward to this all day....
    Oh yeah the run....wind,rain,wind,rain,more wind...more rain and the off the ball lads on newstalk to get me htrough it.
    With 3 races in 13 dyas that started monday the idea was to see how the body was after monday and that woul decide what i do this week leading up to the munster masters on Sunday...Thankfully i am feeling good and managed 9 yesterday also so i will take a rest day tomorrow and 5/6 slow Saturday morning and then have a go Sunday at the masters,this will be a good test for me again as there will be a small field but we will all be bunched...a few will forge ahead early but i know of about 8 others that will be roughly trying to run the same time as me so it will be interesting.

12m @ 7:17p

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jimbo21

:confused: dont count me as one of the 8 :D iam gone backwards since ballycotton ,groin is playing up so i am doing less running now. i will take a dip waist high in anntown on saturday and see how it goes:(

jimbo21 wrote: »
    :confused: dont count me as one of the 8 :D iam gone backwards since ballycotton ,groin is playing up so i am doing less running now. i will take a dip waist high in anntown on saturday and see how it goes:(

Yep,your one of the 8 alright...hopefully you will be ok to have ago Sunday.That hill twice will be the difference,i have to remember to take it easy first time round because last year the at the Butlerstown 10k i bombed up it the first,died the second and crawled the third so thankfully its only twice on Sunday !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Well done in Mallow, great running.

Are you just making up the numbers at the masters....I thought the 'youngest' category was M40 for men

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Well done in Mallow, great running.

Are you just making up the numbers at the masters....I thought the 'youngest' category was M40 for men

No,there is an o/35 section but we are racing as individuals...0/40 and up for the team which is a pity as we have 6 o/35 entries and we are all the same bar a few seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

No,there is an o/35 section but we are racing as individuals...0/40 and up for the team which is a pity as we have 6 o/35 entries and we are all the same bar a few seconds.

Ah ok, that explains why there are only O40's travelling from our club then.

Best of luck.

Ended up not going to Mallow in the end as I had very little sleep the night before plus I had done a tough hills session on the Sunday so I decided a 10 mile race would have done me no good. I'd say my next 10 mile attempt will have to be Dublin in the summer.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Ah ok, that explains why there are only O40's travelling from our club then.

Best of luck.

Ended up not going to Mallow in the end as I had very little sleep the night before plus I had done a tough hills session on the Sunday so I decided a 10 mile race would have done me no good. I'd say my next 10 mile attempt will have to be Dublin in the summer.

I have that pencilled in as a maybe,hopefully the national half will be on down here again,that would be the following week,in that case i may gve it a miss and concentrate on the half.

• Advertisement

sosa we have a good over 40 team if all run well on the day pity there is no team for the over 35,some good lads running sunday :D

sosa we have a good over 40 team if all run well on the day pity there is no team for the over 35,some good lads running sunday :D

I have no idea why there is no 0/35 team event if they are letting us run...should be all or nothing.

Aerobic

A nice easy run this morning while the big fella played his hurling...a bit breezy but a nice warm breeze for a change...no heroics and feet up now for the Masters tomorrow.

6m @ 7:29p

Munster Masters 4m Road Race

What a day for this,best day of the year by a mile.....got there nice and early for the 1pm start only to be informed that the womens was 1pm and we were 1:40...bit of a dissapointment but got a nice warm up done in different stages which set me up nicely.
    Had a look around before the off and didnt recognise anyone bar my own crew so got ready to work hard here as this was my first masters event that i was competing in and i was looking forward to it.
    It was 2 laps of the butlerstown 10k route that we use every year down these parts which consist of a long downhill,a 300m steep climb.a long flat stretch and about half a mile of a drag...all in all a tough route and imo not one for PB's but we were all in the same boat.
    I promised myself i would not charge off like a lunatic and stuck to that with a reserved 5:30 first mile,i counted 20 ahead of me going down the hill for the first time,slowly started picking people off....mile 2 in 5:42...nice pace going here,noyt under too much pressure,by the second time round i was up around 13/14th spot,continued to pick a couple off during the third mile which was a strong 5:37,was happy with that as i was beginning to get weary...up the hill for the last time and i felt i was going backwards...garmin read 6:11p for the first 0.4 of the fourth mile and i panicked a bit,put the head down and ploughed on...not looking at the watch again and passed 3/4 on the home stretch to cross the line in about 7/8th place...will have to wait for confirmation during the week as Munster athletics are a bit slow on publishing the results.

Really happy with my run today,went out with a sub 22:30 target and even though i ran 22:04...it was a bit short...depending on who you talk to somewhere between 3.93 and 3.96m...
    Regardless of the shortness of the course i would have been under 22:30 which was the aim...

well done sosa today u ran very well and yes it was very hot out there today, i was glad to get round but i was very sore after it ,happy with 22.29 but i need to get sorted out now :(

well done sosa today u ran very well and yes it was very hot out there today, i was glad to get round but i was very sore after it ,happy with 22.29 but i need to get sorted out now :(

Good running considering you were not 100%...its a long summer,get yourself right now,otherwise you will be in and out for a while.

Recovery x 2

In and out of work today,legs felt ok this morning but i was fairly tired on the home leg,but its all good,2 good races in 6 days though so i dont mind.

Into Work - 3.5m @ 7:52p
    Home - 5.5m @ 7:26p

I will have to fit in a 16m run tomorrow or Wednesday morning ( preferably ) because i have a 5k the w/e...its a hilly one though so
    Sub 17 will not be happening

Aerobic

I have not run since Monday,i purposely didnt run Tuesday as i planned a 15 yesterday but it just didnt happen,so now im playing catch up for the week.
    Inbetween nights so today was never going to be long,what a day for it though...toasting out there...sunblock and shades were a must today.

7m @ 7:11p

Aerobic/Recovery

Really tired today,but off work now until Tuesday so time to rack up a few miles as i only have 21 done for the week so far.
    Hopefully tomorrow will be 18 early and then another run of some sort on Sunday morning...all going to plan.

5m @ 7:24p

Marathon training officially starts on Monday !

• Advertisement

Med Long

A low mileage week as a result of this missed run during the week and only getting 5 done yesterday,but no harm as training starts this monday really,i was to race a 5k tomorrow morning but had to sacrifice that to get this done today...pity as i was looking forward to it.
    Enjoyed this today,ran very steady for 10m then upped it a bit for 11,12,13 and then rattled off 6:40 and 6:25 for the last 2 to just get under 1:45 for the run....happy days.
    4/5 slow in the morning will get me just over 40m for the week...

15m in 1:44:53 - 6:59 pace

With the 18's starting next week i will be slowing these down a bit,was using these 15's in recent weeks as a bit of endurance/aerobic to get me going with the longer stuff on the horizon.

Advertisement