Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N24 Limerick-Waterford upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Bards

It really would be great if this road went ahead. Along with the M20 would link Waterford, Carrick-on-Suir, Clonmel, Cahir, Tipp etc to Limerick & Galway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Lads.

Not before 2020 or 2021 . The following take prority for funding

N25
    N20
    N18
    N17
    N15
    N11
    N4 to Longford
    Leinster Orbital
    N2 Monaghan Border to A5
    N21 Adare Bypass and N21 Castleisland Bypass

A5 in North ( Derry - Monaghan)
    A8 in North

and THEN the N24 and N28

I trust I have not left anything out have I ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Agreed. This is low priority, whether it should be or not I havent thought about yet. N28 to Ringaskiddy should be a little higher up that list of priorites though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Tipperary Town needs relief immediately I reckon, even if it's only a temporary solution like Mitchelstown got.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

dowlingm wrote: »
    Tipperary Town needs relief immediately I reckon, even if it's only a temporary solution like Mitchelstown got.
    Agreed but as for the rest of the route its not priority.

Get on with the M20!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Lads.

Not before 2020 or 2021 . The following take prority for funding

N25
    N20
    N18
    N17
    N15
    N11
    N4 to Longford
    Leinster Orbital
    N2 Monaghan Border to A5
    N21 Adare Bypass and N21 Castleisland Bypass

A5 in North ( Derry - Monaghan)
    A8 in North

and THEN the N24 and N28

I trust I have not left anything out have I ???

lol
    N25 is by no means on the top. ;) down the list...

M20
    N21
    N18
    N17
    N11
    N25

Leimster orbital.

Agreed. This is low priority, whether it should be or not I havent thought about yet. N28 to Ringaskiddy should be a little higher up that list of priorites though.

No it shouldn't.

lay off local flag waving ****eology.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Playing the man and not the ball mysterious...

However any decision to expand the N28 should not come before the resolution of An Bord Pleanala's refusal to permit the relocation of the port facilities to Ringaskiddy, since depending on the final outcome - either overturn the refusal or pick an alternative site like Marino Point - the capacity outcomes will be significantly different.

mysterious wrote: »
    No it shouldn't.

lay off local flag waving ****eology.

FWIW I live in Galway now.

Anyway, yes it should. That section of road is nearly as dangerous as the N11 missing section and its vastly overcapacity as it is. It shouldnt be the be-all-and-end all, but it should certainly take priority over some stuff thats been/being done now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

The Nationalist newspaper carried a front page story today claiming that a decision will be made in January regarding the construction of an N24 bypass/realignment that would run northeast of Tipperary town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

2+2 I'm guessing for the entire route Furet ?

2+2 I'm guessing for the entire route Furet ?

Hard to say. No EIS's have been published yet, though a route corridor has been selected. I think it was to be mostly 2+1, but that seems to have fallen out of fashion lately. Traffic volumes don't seem to rise much higher than 9,000 between Tipperary and Cahir.

I know that the reason why the N24 2+1 Cahir bypass is so far from the rest of the N24 is because the next realigned section, whenever it gets built, will tie into it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

wrote:
    Tom hayes stressed that the bypass desperately needs to be prioritised by the Minister and the National Roads Authority.

I'm sorry, but this kind of comment just showcases exactly what's wrong with politics and political planning in this country.

Has he not seen the state of other roads in the country? I'm not saying the road doesn't need dealing with, but honestly: "desperately needs to be prioritised".

BluntGuy wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but this kind of comment just showcases exactly what's wrong with politics and political planning in this country.

Has he not seen the state of other roads in the country? I'm not saying the road doesn't need dealing with, but honestly: "desperately needs to be prioritised".

I know. Awful guff altogether. Tipperary in general gives Healy-Rae country a run for its money sometimes. Still, it will be interesting to see what happens here: Martin Manseragh, who's from the area, is a junior minister, and Mattie McGrath is the second FF TD for South Tipp.

But absolutely, if one were to rank the N24 in terms of priority, it definitely wouldn't be in the top few projects in need of doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I've been travelling Limerick to Clonmel to work for the last two weeks and had totally forgotten just how bad the Limerick to Waterford road is, and in particular the stretch from Tipperary Town to the Clonmel by-pass. This is supposed to be a National Primary Route, yet in reality its surface and orientation make it nothing more than a National Secondary Route. Indeed, i've seen better regional roads in deepest West Limerick. I know that nationally its one of the less busier roads, but it still carries a good deal of traffic and lots of HGVs in particular. Is there any plans to upgrade the road in the near future??

*On a side note, the signage for Clonmel/Waterford while going through Tipp Town is very poor indeed. When you come to that mickey mouse excuse for a roundabout at the end of the town, there is a sign for Cashel and Cahir, but none for Clonmel (county's biggest town) or Waterford (main city in the south east region). Time to get those hands out of your pockets Tipperary SR Co Co!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

There were theoretical plans for a number of 2+1 projects along the whole length of the N24. Now that 2+1 is dispensed with, they would probably be 2+2 (i.e. very basic dual carriageway). However, that would be *if they ever happened* which seems rather unlikely - even if funding is found for some road projects - it won't be the N24 while there is still the N20 and other more important routes to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

N24 is a disgrace and on the long finger, all schemes are at "preliminary" stage according to NRA site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

mike65 wrote: »
    N24 is a disgrace and on the long finger, all schemes are at "preliminary" stage according to NRA site.

see here:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0324/1224243317036.html

the N24 has been put on the long finger offically a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭serfboard

grenache wrote: »
    the signage for Clonmel/Waterford while going through Tipp Town is very poor indeed. When you come to that mickey mouse excuse for a roundabout at the end of the town, there is a sign for Cashel and Cahir, but none for Clonmel (county's biggest town) or Waterford (main city in the south east region). Time to get those hands out of your pockets Tipperary SR Co Co!!

Agree with you about this. I was probably not concentrating properly, but I totally missed that sign the last time I was through, and ended up going straight through the "roundabout" and had to do a Uey :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

serfboard wrote: »
    Agree with you about this. I was probably not concentrating properly, but I totally missed that sign the last time I was through, and ended up going straight through the "roundabout" and had to do a Uey :o
    Well you could kept going straight and gone via Cashel and New Inn, turning left at New Inn which would bring you out onto the N24 again a few miles outside Clonmel. All in all going this way would add about 15 miles onto your journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Map here of proposed N24 route through South Tipperary:

http://www.southtippcoco.ie/en/media/3_N8N24.pdf

Looks to me that someone thinks Clonmel is an absolute metropolis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Looks to me that someone thinks Clonmel is an absolute metropolis.

:D Lol!

I don't like that route selection. Ahhhhack...

I'd rather it go south of Clonmel to make a Cork Waterford Alignment. If it were DC from Cahir to Waterford. It would be a better road than the twisty S2 N25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I'd rather it go south of Clonmel to make a Cork Waterford Alignment. If it were DC from Cahir to Waterford. It would be a better road than the twisty S2 N25.

From the map it looks like they are going to upgrade the current bypass of Clonmel to 2+2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Don't think so...the corridor for the new route goes well north of the town according to the NRA website...or it did. I can't find the map now! (Note the addition to all projects added to the NRA site the other day warning that all projects not started no longer have any official time schedules). :mad:

Best download this other N24 project plan for historical reference then .

It will not be dusted off before 2020 .

South of Clonmel between the Commeragh and Knockmealdown mountains to link with the N25 at Dungarvan?

Ah jayzus Furet do you want to close this thread too ???

Do you not remember when Mysterious did an M20/M8/M24 synthesis?? .....which was not illogical IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭serfboard

Furet wrote: »
    South of Clonmel between the Commeragh and Knockmealdown mountains to link with the N25 at Dungarvan?

Indeed. You can't go south of Clonmel - there are too many mountains in the way.

Advertisement