Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Jay-Z

Options
  • 13-10-2006 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭

I think I've finally come to terms with jay bein a biter. His new song has put me in that frame of mind. First of the sample of the horns at the start and throughout the song and even the song title are from Public Enemy's "Show em watchu got". only difference is that jay's title has reversed "em" to "me".

i know a sample is a sample and everyone is free to flip a sample how they want. maybe its the fact that its P.E..... What's peoples thoughts on this?

oh ya, still a decent tune imo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Both tracks are alright.Just Blaze has been pretty inconsistent this year,Jay isn't doing much lyrically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭StevieG

I like it a lot
    The drums are live and fresh and the samples (Which are credited) are still not that obvious
    Only Public Enemy fans who bought "Nation of millions" will know the score and it might turn a few young heads onto a hip-hop classic
    It was also an album track and it's not as if they just looped the track, it sounds pretty different (it will be good to have Flav's voice in the background of an MTV hit again too:))
    Also, Public Enemy more than anyone appreciated the use of sampling and even though they came up with these samples first, i think they have done a sufficient job with the new track to warrant its release
    its still better than 90% of the stuff out there at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

StevieG wrote:
    it will be good to have Flav's voice in the background of an MTV hit again too

seriously???

i personally find flav one of the most irritating people in the history of hip-hop (and before you ask, no, my frst experience of flav is not that pathetic mtv show, i've had my copy of nation of millions for many a year)

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Jay Ru

just blaze gave jay z some serious heat with this track, i can't get enough of it. i'm not to keen on that kingdom come track but show me what u've got is the best hip hop track to come out of new york in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭StevieG

seriously???

Yup, especially his bit in this track, which is culled from one of my fav P.E. tracks
    Thankfuly i havent seen the show though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I wouldn't usually post messages in the Hip Hop section(I hate the genre) - but I thought you should know that there's a rumour goin around that the release of his new cd has been put back......!? Apparently it's to make way for Guns N'Roses' new cd.......both artists are handled by Universal music......:)

I wouldn't usually post messages in the Hip Hop section(I hate the genre) -

And yet you like a pack of ancient over rated imbeciles.Says it all really.;)

BTW hell will have frozen by the time you get a new Guns N Roses album.
    but I thought you should know that there's a rumour goin around that the release of his new cd has been put back......!? Apparently it's to make way for Guns N'Roses' new cd.......both artists are handled by Universal music......:)

I doubt an artist who will go platinum(at least) will be pushed back for a group of artistic and commercial has beens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Jay-Z and Guns n Roses aren't in any way competing, and handled by different parts of Universal, so there's absolutely no reason for anything to be pushed back because of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

Did ya's here the newest? Lost ones...

Nice track

Jeez!!!!:confused:

Just thought I'd mention the fact that I heard the RUMOUR!?

Don't go shootin the messenger.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

count yourself lucky you didn't get a cap popped in yo ass :D

Count yourself lucky you didn't get your message deleted for talking about a rock group in a Hip-Hop forum.
    count yourself lucky you didn't get a cap popped in yo ass

My man SC knows how we deal with these Hip-Hop haters.ieBoards does **** hardcore.:D

Jeez, lighten UP,will ye.....!?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

so the whole thing is out.
    only sort of half listened to it, but it's seems very average.
    not even the usual 2 or 3 classic songs and a whole lot of filler type of album that you'd expect from Jay-Z, it's pretty much all filler.
    Beach Chhair with Chris Martin is probably the best song on there....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Much like the Game album I think the production is the only real redeeming quality about the album. The Game album at least has a bit of replay value.

Lost Ones is an ok track and the track with John Legend, Do You Wanna Ride, isn't bad but it's a minute too long. 30 Something has a hook that will make you cringe, "30's the new 20" apparently. There are no stand out tracks like The Black Album had. The song with Usher and Pharrell is horrible.

He should have actually retired when he said it. Mediocre album with little replay value, was falling asleep listening to this (nodded off during Minority Report). I hope this isn't an indication of what to expect from the Nas album.

I presume people have heard the few tracks leaked from the Nas album, which are all pretty blah imo but better then pretty much anything on Jay-Z's newest.

Jay needs to drop the mic, he's been coasting since I don't know vol 1...

I'd geniunely take Snoop's newest above both the Game or Jay album.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I've only heard the track that reuses the Thief's Theme beat, which isn't too bad.

Snoop's album is indeed better than the two. Xzibit also put out a decent album. Thinking back over the year though, the releases from the mainstream "big boys" have been severely lacking in general.

Advertisement