Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random recipe thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Probably only for appearances.

You could probably omit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I'd say it's because the Pandan is an ingredient. Fresh Pandan is a really vibrant green, so the food colouring is more than likely to emulate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Hmmm, I'm also going to throw this up because I would love to see someone make it ;) And, also, it sounds feckin' delicious.

Pancakes filled with sweet coconut

Makes 12-15 pancakes.

Ing:

175 grammes dark brown sugar
    450 ml water
    1 pandan leaf, stripped through with a fork and tied into a knot.
    175 grammes desiccated coconut.
    Oil for frying
    Salt

For pancake batter:
    225 plan flour
    2 eggs, beaten
    2 drops of edible green food colouring
    Few drops of vanilla essence
    450 ml cups of water
    45 ml groundnut oil

Direction:

1) Dissolve sugar in the water with the pandan leaf, in a pan over gentle heat, stirring all the time. Increase the heat and allow to boil gently for 3-4 minutes, until the mixture just becomes syrupy. Do not let it caramelize.

2) Put the coconut into a wok with a pinch of salt. Pour over the prepared sugar syrup and cook over a very gentle heat, stirring from time to time, until the mixture becomes almost dry; this will take 5-10 minutes. Set aside until required.

3) To make the batter, blend together the flour , eggs, food colouring, vanilla essence, water and oil either by hand or in a food processor.

4) Cook the pancakes. (Meh, there's measurements of the pan here, but I think it's just cooking a pancake)
    Fill the pancake with a generous spoonful of the mixture and serve immediately.

I just had these last week for tea! We call these Kuih Ketayap

Was it nice?

Honestly, the deserts are so weird and wonderful that I feel like throwing them all up.

But it's plagery :o

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Was it nice?

Honestly, the deserts are so weird and wonderful that I feel like throwing them all up.

But it's plagery :o

I've always loved it, so yes if you're a big fan of coconut. The pancake doesn't necessarily have to be green but as the previous poster said it's to compliment the Pandan flavour (traditionally they would squeeze the bejaysus out of the leaf to get the green colour).

• Advertisement

images_zpsnmm00rh6.jpeg

Here's a recipe for noodles in soup.

Ingredients

225g of chicken or pork fillet
    3-4 dried chinese mushrooms, soaked
    115g can sliced bamboo shoots, drained.
    115g spinach leaves, letuce hearts or chinese leaves
    2 springs onions
    375 grammes dried egg noodles
    600 ml cups basic stock
    2tsp vegetable oil
    1 tsp salt
    half a teaspon of brown sugar
    15ml light soy sauce
    2 tsp chinese rice wine or dry sherry
    Few drops of sesame oil

Directions
    1)Thinly shred the meat. Squeeze dry the mushrooms and ddiscard any hard stalks. Thinly shred the mushroom caps, bamboo shoots, spinach, lettuce hearts or chinese leaves and the spring onion. Keep the meat, the spring onions and the other ingredients in three heaps.

2) Cook the noodles in boiling water according to the instructions on the packet, then drain and rinse in cold water. Place in serving bowl.

3) Bring the stock to the boil and pour over the noodles. Keep warm.

4 Heat the oil in a preheated wok, and the spring onions and the meat and stir fry for about 1 minutes.

5) Add the mushrooms, bamboo shoots and spinach, lettuce or chinese leaves and stir fry for 1 minute or until the meat is cooked through. Add the salt, sugar, soy sauce, rice wine or dry sherry and sesame oil and blend well.

6) Pour the 'dressing' over the noodles and serve.

IMo, this is the basic recipe and you can add more if you want. Personally, I think it needs a bit of garlic and ginger. But, I'd probably taste it as it is to see how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭okedoke

I was in Thailand recently and did a cooking class, where one of the dishes was a basic red curry - one of my favourite foods. I tried the recipe for the first time yesterday so here it is for anyone who wants too try a (mostly) authentic thai red curry.

Step 1 - Make the paste. Curry pastes vary enormously in Thailand so this is one of many possible pastes.

This will make enough paste for c. 4 portions.

chillis (small red ones) - I used 5 initially in enough paste for 4 portions. Turns out this was a not enough so i added a few more today before making another curry with the paste. The number will depend on your tolerance for heat.
    galangal - 2 * thumb size pieces, thinly sliced.
    lemongrass - 2 stalks, thinly sliced
    garlic - 4 cloves
    Shallot - half a large shallot
    Coriander root - 2 roots roughly chopped (I couldn't get a root so I used stalks)
    Tumeric root - 2 * thumb sized pieces, peeled and chopped (this will stain fingers badly)
    Pepper corns - 2 * teaspoon
    Kaffir lime - zest 1/2 lime (I couldn't get a kaffir lime so used ordinary lime but i think the curry suffered for this sub)
    pasteingrediants_zps761bde47.jpg

pasteprepped_zpsd583476e.jpg

Add all above into pestle & mortar, a few at a time, and pound to a pulp. I found I couldn't get anywhere near a commercial (e.g. Mae Ploy) paste consistency but the chef in Thailand said a stringy consistency is fine. It will also be less red than a Mae Ploy type paste.
    pestleampmortar3_zps13ef5f47.jpg
    finishedpaste_zps3e123523.jpg

I was making a duck curry so I fried my duck breast and finished to medium in the oven. Once its cooked - keep warm and slice before adding to curry.

On to the curry itself:
    Ingredients (1 portion):
    vegtables_zps4d2dc6ed.jpg
    1 "eggplant" - looks like a squashball, available in asian shops
    1 large red chilli - 5 * thin diagonal slices.
    10 pea eggplants - look like peas available in asian shops
    12'' of string bean - chopped in 1'' pieces (not shown)
    1 Kaffir Lime leaf - bruised (not shown)
    small handful of sweet basil - I used regular basil
    Meat (in this case duck)
    Paste (made above) - 1 to 2 tablespoons depending on how hot you want it
    Shrimp paste - available in asian shops
    fish sauce - 1 tablespoon
    white sugar - 1.5 teaspoon.
    Coconut milk - 250 ml (I actually used 150ml and water) - photo shows coconut cream - i used coconut milk.
    I also added some red pepper but this was not in any curry i had in thailand.

Note: In thailand - duck red curry was always served with fruit rather than vegetable.

Cooking the curry:

Add 1 tablespoon of veg oil to pan, with curry paste and shrimp paste and fry for a couple of mins.

fryingpasteampshrimppaste_zps9e44da5c.jpg

Add coconut milk and bring to boil.

pasteampcoconutmilk_zps3781e125.jpg

Add fish sauce and sugar and kafffir lime leaf and taste - adjust fish sauce/sugar/paste to get the flavour of the curry right at this point.

Add vegetables and cook to almost done and add duck.

Turn off heat and add chopped basil

finishedcurry_zps266d7390.jpg

serve with rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Lots of recipes here....

http://100cookbooks.wordpress.com

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

318455.jpg

Now that's what a yorkshire popover* should look like (on the inside). Stupid TV chefs and their "two large eggs". It's a cup of eggs you gits, in what mutant chickenland is "two large eggs" a full cup? (Hint; it's five normal eggs).

Recipe:

3/4 cup plain cream flour
    1/4 cup bread flour
    1 cup eggs
    1 cup whole milk
    1 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
    1.5 tsp salt

Oven to 220C, and put the popover tin into the oven to get rocket hot. Take out all the other racks other than the lowest one for this unless you want to bake the rack into the top of the popover. If you don't have a popover tin, get one - muffin tins aren't the same thing (TK Maxx have them, so does amazon).

506ae01afb04d60a43001014._w.426_h.425_s.fit_.jpg

Everything into the blender, blitz for 30 seconds, scrape down sides with spatula, blitz for 30 more seconds, leave stand for a minute or two while you pour either a teaspoon of beef drippings from the roast or melted butter into each tin (it should hiss and spit or the tin's not hot enough yet) and brush it up the sides of the tin (and don't forget the centimetre or so around the lip of each tin).

Pour batter into popover tin moulds (half-fill each one only) and bake at 220C for 30-40 minutes (or however long it takes to get to golden brown). Take out from oven, leave stand for 2-3 minutes, then stick a knife in the top of each one (in any handy crevice in the top of the popover) and twist slightly to create a vent for steam; leave stand for five minutes, then depan and let cool on a rack. Serve warm.

Splitting in half and filling with chicken salad makes a nice lunch...

*It's a yorkshire pudding if you use beef dripping and it goes in one huge pan and you cut it up to serve; it's a popover if you use butter and they're single-serving things made in a popover tin (think muffin tin but bigger, straighter and heavier); a yorkshire popoover is when I use the same recipe for both cases and can't be bothered to call the same thing different names....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭clint_silver

All over that sparks. Jamie Oliver posted a recipe for similar but while texturally correct I found it pretty bland no matter what I did with the seasoning. I'll give that a go.

They'll always taste bland unless you use beef dripping clint; especially the popovers, which are kindof meant to be bland so the filling takes center stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Sparks wrote: »
    They'll always taste bland unless you use beef dripping clint; especially the popovers, which are kindof meant to be bland so the filling takes center stage.
    if you get a Yorkshire pud in a decent carvery place they're always crispy. If I do it at home they're more eggy and soft.

I can get the lift shape size the way I want but nowhere near crispy and tasty.

They look exactly like the ones you have though.

1:1:1 ratio between eggs, whole milk and flour (but I use a 3/4 plain cream flour, 1/4 bread flour mix) and the heat are probably the most important factors (and yes, I've noticed a massive step up since getting the popover tins).

If you measure out four eggs into your measuring cup, or five, trying to get as close to full as you can without making a mess on the counter, then note the level you got to in the cup and fill with milk and flour only to that level, that should help. And crank that oven - I set mine to 250C when preheating with the tin in there, let it soak up all that thermal energy and only drop it to 220C when I put the tin back in the oven with the batter to cook. The initial dump of thermal energy seems to help (and the popover tins being heavy, soak up more heat to do that initial dump).

postscript: Er, dumb question, but you are sticking a knife in them and twisting a little within a minute or two of pulling the pan/tin from the oven, right? Because otherwise that steam goes back into the popover/pudding and moistens it and softens it. You need a vent to let that moisture out and you need it while the moisture is still hot enough to be vapour...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

They also turn out much better if you leave the batter to stand for at least 30 mins before using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Quinoa Burgers

1 cup (185g) quinoa

Kosher salt

3 large eggs, lightly beaten

1/2 teaspoon ground coriander

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Directions

Whisk the quinoa into a medium pot of boiling salted water and cook until very tender and the grains have burst, about 15 minutes. Drain the quinoa in a sieve and cool to warm.

In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, coriander, cumin, cayenne, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Stir in the quinoa.

In a large non-stick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat until hot. Scoop half the batter, 1/3 a time, into the skillet, pressing each scoop into a patty. Brown the patties, turning once, until golden, about 6 minutes each side. Repeat with the remaining batter and oil. Transfer the patties to paper towels to drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Was just about to ask for that recipe in the diner thread, sounds like my kind of burger, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Larry Bee

MONKFISH CURRY

[Serves 4]

Mild Curry Powder

o 2 tablespoons ground cumin
    o 2 tablespoons ground coriander
    o 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
    o 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    o 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
    o 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

Put into a blender and blitz until it’s a nice powder.

Main Menu:

o 3 onions peeled and sliced
    o 2 or 3 tbsp. mild curry powder
    o 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
    o 1/2 chilli, deseeded and sliced
    o 1-2 lemongrass, finely sliced
    o Knob ginger, peeled and very finely sliced
    o Spuds (Enough for 2 people), peeled & cut in half or quarters
    o 400ml Chicken stock
    o 2 tins coconut milk
    o 3 or 4 star anise
    o 3-4 dried lime leaves
    o 3 big slabs of Monkfish (I’ve made it with chicken boobs too)
    o 2 limes
    o Bunch coriander, finely chopped
    o Nam Pla (Fish Sauce)
    o 160g Rice (Enough for 2 people)

Sauté the onions in the oil for a few minutes until they are start to soften and sprinkle the curry powder on top.
    Add the chopped garlic, ginger, chilli and lemongrass.
    Mix this around and season. It should start to smell really great after a few minutes. If you feel it’s going to stick and burn in patches, add a splash of water to deglaze the pan.

Add the spuds and toss the around until they are well coated in the mix.
    Add the stock and coconut milk, then the star anise, lime leaves. Cook on a gentle simmer for about 20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.

When the spuds are almost ready, add in the fish for about 5 minutes before you want to serve. It should be gently bubbling and simmering, so the fish will cook quickly. Give it a quick taste and season it with, some lime juice and/or fish sauce.

Serve with rice and some wedges of lime and chopped coriander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I made this yesterday for the first time and it was very tasty:

Moroccan style meatballs

Ingredients:
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2 red onions, very finely chopped
    4 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1tsp ground coriander
    400g tin chopped tomatoes
    ½ tsp sugar
    10g mint, finely chopped
    500g lean lamb mince
    8 dried apricots, finely chopped
    1 tsp harissa (optional!)

In a pan set to medium, add 2 teaspoons of olive oil and cook the onions for 5 minutes until soft.
    Add the garlic and spices and cook for a few minutes more.
    Spoon half the onion mixture into a bowl and set aside to cool.
    Add the tomatoes and their juices, sugar, salt and pepper, and harissa (if using) to the remaining onions in the pan and simmer for about 10 minutes until reduced.
    In a bowl, mix mint, lamb, apricots and the
    cooled onions well with your hands.
    Shape into little meatballs. I find wetting your hands before you make the meatballs makes it easier.
    Heat the rest of the oil in a non-stick pan and fry the meatballs until golden.
    Add the meatballs into the sauce with a splash of water and gently cook everything for a few minutes until the meatballs are cooked through.
    Serve with couscous.

(I adapted this recipe from a MummyPagesFood recipe)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

making this for dinner and thought I'd share in case anyone has lots of leftover cooked meat

Sherried turkey and ham bake

350g cooked turkey cut in strips
    140g cooked ham cut into thick strips
    170g frozen peas
    50g butter
    50g flour
    600ml milk
    3tbsp medium sherry
    2 tsp wholegrain mustard
    100g cheddar grated
    50g chopped mixed nuts

Mix the turkey, ham and peas in greased ovenproof dish.
    Make sauce with butter flour & milk, when thick add sherry and mustard, simmer for a minute then remove from heat and add half the cheese.
    Pour the sauce over the mix in the dish. Mix remaining cheese with nuts and sprinkle on top.
    Bake for about half an hour at 200C/180 for fan oven.

Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Following on from a thread in AH (What food/drinks are amazing but few people in Ireland consume?) I thought I'd share some of my recipes for Jamaican food, starting with an easy and delicious curry. I've been to Jamaica a few times and adored the food - it is, of course, spicy and fresh and tropical, but we've also had a bit of influence over there (we sent a bunch of whiskey coopers over there to help with the rum trade and they sensibly refused to return!) so some of it can seem quite familiar.

And that's why the following recipe for goat curry features the traditional carrots and potatoes. You'll find those in most Jamaican stew-type dishes.

You will need:

About 500-700 grams of stewing meat, goat is authentic and lamb neck or shoulder is a decent replacement, but you can also try chicken wings, legs and thighs or stewing beef. Brown or sear that in a pan, remove and set aside.

For the curry spice:
    2 teaspoons whole coriander seeds
    1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
    1 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
    1 teaspoon whole anise seeds
    .5 teaspoon whole fenugreek seeds
    .5 teaspoon whole allspice berries
    Toast these in a pan until the house smells amazing and the seeds pop, then grind with 2.5 teaspoons of tumeric.

I found allspice here on the continent called "piment".

For the sauce:
    1 chopped onion
    2 crushed garlic cloves
    1 thumb size piece of ginger, peeled and grated.
    1 can of coconut milk

Fry onions, garlic, ginger in a bit of oil in an ovenproof pot or casserole, then add the spices and cook for another few minutes. Put the meat back in the pot with the coconut milk.

At this stage you add:

2 carrots, peeled and sliced
    about 4 large potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite sized pieces.
    Scotch bonnet pepper to taste - I can personally stand 1 deseeded finely chopped Scotch bonnet in this but my family cannot. Half a deseeded pepper makes it more than spicy for my family, but on the cusp of bearable. Which is how Jamaican food should be.

Pop the lid on the pot and the pot in the oven at 140C for about 3 hours then taste.

If anyone tries this please give feedback and I'll happily trade tips and share more recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

That sounds delicious! I'll definitely try this out, maybe at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Following on from a thread in AH (What food/drinks are amazing but few people in Ireland consume?) I thought I'd share some of my recipes for Jamaican food, starting with an easy and delicious curry. I've been to Jamaica a few times and adored the food - it is, of course, spicy and fresh and tropical, but we've also had a bit of influence over there (we sent a bunch of whiskey coopers over there to help with the rum trade and they sensibly refused to return!) so some of it can seem quite familiar.

And that's why the following recipe for goat curry features the traditional carrots and potatoes. You'll find those in most Jamaican stew-type dishes.

You will need:

About 500-700 grams of stewing meat, goat is authentic and lamb neck or shoulder is a decent replacement, but you can also try chicken wings, legs and thighs or stewing beef. Brown or sear that in a pan, remove and set aside.

For the curry spice:
    2 teaspoons whole coriander seeds
    1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
    1 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
    1 teaspoon whole anise seeds
    .5 teaspoon whole fenugreek seeds
    .5 teaspoon whole allspice berries
    Toast these in a pan until the house smells amazing and the seeds pop, then grind with 2.5 teaspoons of tumeric.

I found allspice here on the continent called "piment".

For the sauce:
    1 chopped onion
    2 crushed garlic cloves
    1 thumb size piece of ginger, peeled and grated.
    1 can of coconut milk

Fry onions, garlic, ginger in a bit of oil in an ovenproof pot or casserole, then add the spices and cook for another few minutes. Put the meat back in the pot with the coconut milk.

At this stage you add:

2 carrots, peeled and sliced
    about 4 large potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite sized pieces.
    Scotch bonnet pepper to taste - I can personally stand 1 deseeded finely chopped Scotch bonnet in this but my family cannot. Half a deseeded pepper makes it more than spicy for my family, but on the cusp of bearable. Which is how Jamaican food should be.

Pop the lid on the pot and the pot in the oven at 140C for about 3 hours then taste.

If anyone tries this please give feedback and I'll happily trade tips and share more recipes.

Thanks for that. I followed you here from the other thread. I have all those ingredients here so I'll give that a shot with some lamb next week.
    Just one thing. Would the potatoes not go to sh1te and end up sticking to the bottom of the dish? I had that trouble with some Indian curries before.

Oh, I've been using the big red waxy ones that hold their shape well. Should have said that, that's a good point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

5 teaspoon whole allspice berries

What are these?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

That sounds delicious! I'll definitely try this out, maybe at the weekend

Made this yesterday, it's a great recipe. Used half a scotch bonnet de-seeded, which gave it a nice heat, just right for my friends who are usually pretty reserved when it comes to chillies. Will use a little bit more next time to give it some fire!

Also waiting about an hour into cooking before I added the potatoes & carrots to the pot, they held they're shape pretty well.

Thanks again for the recipe
    What are these?

I just used ground allspice for this

Glad to hear you enjoyed it, Graham!

Yes, ground allspice is the same stuff. I think I mentioned finding it as "piment" in the Netherlands, took me some hunting and a dictionary to figure it out!

Duck Braised with Star Anise, Soy & Galangal
    From Dhruv Baker's 'Spice: Layers of Flavour'
    serves 4

3 tbsp caster sugar
    5 slices galangal
    3 cloves garlic
    500ml chicken stock
    1 tbsp rice vinegar
    5 tbsp kecap manis
    3 star anise
    1 whole Gressingham duck
    2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
    1 tsp salt
    Bunch of spring onions, very finely sliced

Place wok over high heat and add the sugar. As it starts to caramelise and turn thick and sticky add the galangal and garlic.

Add 100ml of the stock - sugar will solidify instantly. Keep the wok on the heat; once the sugar has melted again add the rest of the stock, the rice vinegar, kecap manis and star anise and stir until smooth.

Rub the duck all over, inside and out, with the five-spice powder and salt.

Add the duck to the wok and baste with the liquid. Reduce the heat to very low and cook, covered, for 1.5-2 hours, basting the duck thoroughly every 10 minutes or so. If it looks like the pan is going to run dry, add another 200ml water.

Remove the lid for the last 15 minutes of the cooking time and increase the heat to make the remaining cooking sauce thick and glossy.

You can also make this in a kidded casserole dish and cook it in the oven. Preheat the oven to 140℃ and follow the method as above until you add the duck. Cook in the oven for 1.5-2 hours, basting as before. Cook uncovered for the last 15 minutes and take care not to let the liquid dry out.

Carve the duck and arrange on a serving dish. Spoon the sauce over and scatter the sliced spring onions.

Sambal Tumis- part 2

This can be served as a condiment, or used as a base to sambal-based dishes, fried rice, fried noodles, etc. Compared to the previous sambal recipe on this thread, it has a greater depth from the long slow stir frying (tumis), plus the addition of aromatics and belacan.
    The amount of oil used is, trust me, essential. I've tried and tested this recipe several times, making several changes along the way, so to me this has a nice balance of heat and aromatics.

100g dried chillies
    100g fresh red chillies
    250g rose shallots
    1 (150g) big onion
    50g garlic
    15g galangal
    10g ginger
    1 lemongrass
    15g belacan shrimp paste
    1/4 cup (60ml) water + another 1/4 cup for later
    100g palm sugar
    2 tsp salt
    1 tamarind slice, or 40g of tamarind pulp mixed with the extra 1/4 cup of water mentioned above
    2 cups groundnut/veg oil

Prepare the dried chillies by discarding the stalks using scissors and cut up each chillies in 2 or 3 pieces. Boil them in hot water for 5 minutes. Drain.

Place the chillies in a blender/processor along with the other chillies, rose shallots, big onion, ginger, galangal, lemongrass and belacan with 1/4 cup of water, blend to a smooth paste.

Pour the paste into a big wok, stir fry for 15 minutes over medium low heat until slightly dry - oil will only be added later to avoid spitting.

Now add in oil, continue stirring over low heat for 45 minutes. The chilli paste will turn darker, and the oil will start to split and simmer gently on the surface.

Add in tamarind slice, water, salt and sugar, and continue to stir for 15 minutes.

Leave to cool before storing in glass jar. It yields approximately 750g. Best to let it rest overnight before use/serve to let the flavour mellow a little. It does make a difference.

• Advertisement

Lempeng Kelapa (Malaysian Coconut Pancake)

The pancakes are traditionally with savoury condiments such as sambal, serunding (v.dry beef floss rendang), or for the sweet tooth they go well with a drizzle of condensed milk. It calls for freshly grated coconut flesh; may sub with desiccated coconut.

100g plain flour
    300ml water (I use 150ml water & 150ml full milk)
    2 eggs
    1 tbsp sugar
    pinch of salt
    1 coconut, white flesh scooped and grated

Mix the first five ingredients in a big bowl until smooth and lump free. Add the coconut, mix well. Rest in fridge for half hour, before cooking in a greased pan as you would with normal pancakes. Serve at once.

Advertisement